Smokey versus antibiotic

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tbarry, Dec 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

I have honestly tried everything I can think of to get him to take his antibiotic without drama. The only thing that has worked with me (as a last resort) was a very small piece of a regular pill pocket. He wouldn't go near the duck/pea one. Sniffed it out of real tuna and his baked chicken. ( which he usually loves). Will this raise his sugar to high? Should I search for something else?

2. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

Did he take the antibiotic? A small piece isn’t going to raise it that much in my opinion. And honestly getting the antibiotic into Smokey right now is important.

3. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

Yes, both last night and this morning. The pill is tiny barely used any. Then I just threw it and walked away. He fell for it and ate it right away. He then ate a half a plate of his FF. Nicely asked my husband to please not be a helicopter over him today.

SidneysMom likes this.
  4. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

Success! That's great! How about insulin, do you think you'll start that up again soon?

5. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

Yes, if I can keep him eating today. He was eating very little yesterday and last night. He goes to vet at 3 tomorrow.

SidneysMom likes this.
  6. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

What is his vet appt for? To see if the fever is gone?

7. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

That and to check b/g. That's why I want to get at least one home test in. I have everything ready on my end table. If he comes up to cuddle I have everything ready. Also want to get ketone strip today. Ladle is ready and waiting.

SidneysMom likes this.
  8. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

How’s it going, any updates?

9. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

Welll.....I think antibiotic is upsetting his tummy. While husband ran errands I called him out and he actually came. Gave him a little cat nip. While he was snoozing on the back of the couch I set everything up to get b/g, went and got his chicken treat. Set a couple in front of him...he looked at me and off he ran. So his brother ate his treats. I will try again. Are you on Facebook? I'm there under Terry Barry Funch Fenton Michigan. Theres more to it . How's Sidney doing?

SidneysMom likes this.
  10. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Um, it's better if conversations can be kept public on the message board. That way, other people that might like to chime in can follow what has been going on.

11. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

Okay.....sorry, wont happen again....

12. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

My husband feels I should not take him to vet tomorrow because I wasn't able to give him any insulin. He thinks his sugar will be even higher because he's been totally stressed and will be even worse when I take him in.

13. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

I would call the vet and explain the situation. He hasn't had much time on the antibiotics either. Maybe they will suggest rescheduling if necessary? I feel bad you guys are having such a tough time.

14. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

We just gave Sidney his insulin. We are trying to keep to a 6:30am/6:30pm schedule.

15. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

No reason you and @SidneysMom can't be friends on Facebook. But you are both kind of new at this sugardance so keeping advice about the diabetes public gets more experienced eyes on your posts.

Vet or no vet tomorrow is a tough judgement call. At least a call into your vet is worthwhile. Without insulin, yes Smokey's BG levels are likely to be higher. But a vet visit may still be something you want to do. It's up to you.

Has your vet suggested a C&S for the possible UTI (cystocentesis combined with culture and sensitivity lab test)? That is when a needle is stuck into the bladder to get a sterile urine sample and urine sent to a lab for testing. I've had it done on my cat before.

16. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

Thank you that's a good idea. I'm still going to try and get b/g. Unfortunately my husband isnt able to help with that. Please don't feel bad. Kind of how the luck rolls around my house.

SidneysMom likes this.
  17. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

I asked him about testing for UTI, he told me he didn't want to try it because of how big Smokey was, and that he felt his bladder was empty. He shows no signs of UTI. He started fever 3 days after we had been to the other vet. He was not running fever at the new vet.

18. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

I wonder if his body temperature was a bit elevated due to stress? I'm not sure how that works though.

19. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

There are pill guns that will allow you to get a pill down without losing a finger. I linked one of several styles that are on Amazon. To be honest, I've always scruffed my kitty, tilted the head back, and shoved the pill down their throat followed by a squirt of water or food to get everything down. I tried pill pockets with Gabby. That worked for a bit until there was a really bitter pill and she wouldn't go near pill pockets again.

Another trick is to put a pill in an empty capsule. You can get blank capsules online. The capsules tend to go down a bit easier and if you have to give multiple pills, you can often get them in one capsule.

If the antibiotic is. upsetting Smokey's stomach, a probiotic will help. You just need to separate when you give them by about an hour. Antibiotics can do the same thing to humans and probiotics work for us, as well. You use about 1/4 of a capsule for your kitty.

20. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

Thank you I will try that.

21. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Many people do not like convenia but for some it is the only option and no tummy upset. A shot that lasts for up to 2 weeks which can be good or bad if the cat has a reaction. I have had several cats get it with no issues.

Also I never give anything on a empty tummy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.