Smokey

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tbarry, Dec 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

Took Smokey to the vet this morning. He was very lethargic, ears were hot and was dry heaving. Could not get into new vet. So took to one that diagnosed him. He weighed 17.7 up from 17.5. His b/g was 366 down from 427 one week ago. His temperature is 103.7. Was very worried he had Urinary blockage from stopping his Royal Canin Urinary SO moderate calorie ( he's been on it for8 years). He did blood work and gave fluid and vitamin B12 shot. He does not feel it is a blockage. He also gave me Clavamox 50ml 2X daily. He is not on insulin. But gave me a script for Lantus 2 units 2x a day. The vet he saw last week gave me a script for Novolin 4 units 2X a day. I never gave it to him. Have totally changed their diet. FF and Friskies pate. Smokey hasn't eaten any dry food. My meter should be here today. Thoughts please.

2. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

Hi Tbarry. I'm not sure what to think. Did the vet say what he suspects it might be? Is he having symptoms of a blockage that you recognize? Maybe He has a UTI? Sidney had a fever a bit higher than that, and he has a UTI he is being treated for. Apparently it's common for cats with high sugar values. What originally sent me to the vet for Sid was that he was vomiting like four times in six hours. That's incredibly unusual for him.
    Are you going to start him on Lantus? Sid hasn't started yet either-I'm waiting for my meter to arrive as well. We are aiming for tomorrow or Thursday as being start day, depending on when the meter arrives.
    How is he doing at the moment? Has he eaten at all? I don't have any advice but I'm offering positive vibes for you both. I know how worried you are.

3. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

Just a note, one thing I have been doing to ensure Sid is getting water is to add a tablespoon or so of water to the wet food and mix it up in the can. Just so it's soft and not overly soupy. The more water to flush the less chance of blockages, I'd think. I actually transitioned my 2 boy cats over to wet food years ago because I heard it was better to combat blockages than dry food. I know how it is when you've locked on to one thing that's worked for you, and you have to change though. It's scary. But try to ensure he's getting a lot of water in his food and has water available

4. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

Jen,
    It's so good to hear from you! No he didn't say what he thinks it is. As soon as we got home he was panting so hard, but still ate a whole can of FF and tried to eat his brothers too! Then he went in hiding! He just came out a couple of minutes ago, I think he looks better. I do add water to their food. He is one of those that likes to Potty in private. I usually get up to see which one it is. I didn't see him go. How long did it take Sidney's fever to go down? Vet said he would call about lab, but didn't say to bring him back. Going to make appointment with new vet. Please keep me updated on how Sidney is doing. Here's a little funny for you. Attempted to test Toby's ketones...came back with a trace....tested mine, came back the same...tested my husband...same. Guess my whole family has a problem. How the heck do you do it?

SidneysMom likes this.
  5. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

I think Sidney and Smokey may be kindred spirits. When I brought Sid back from the vet last Tuesday, he was super, super stressed, and panting. That's when he had the fever. I had to take him back on Thursday (started the antibiotic on Tuesday) and the fever was gone by then. When Sid came back he drank a half bowl of water. I think this may be a stress response, tbh.
    Hey, at least Smokey is eating. That's really important, though I wouldn't let him gorge if he was having tummy trouble earlier.

When I was first testing Sid's ketones, I had a day or two where it hovered between negative and trace. I think sometimes it depends on what light you are looking at it in. It looked...blush coloured a few times, but not the same as the trace color.
    I made sure to keep adding water to the food to keep flushing any possibility of ketones out. Days where I saw trace, I would test two times. I've heard, though keep in mind I am new and not sure if it's true, that anything above trace is what is to worry about, but seeing trace is about monitoring and trying to flush them with water and such. Again, I have read people who have gotten the same result testing them and their cat, so try to look at it next to a window in the daylight to get a true picture of what's going on.

I'm lucky that Sid lets me use a tiny paper plate to catch some of his urine (I just slide it under, then go check the clock and dip the stick. Don't read beyond the 15 seconds, as it can darken more.

I'm thinking good thoughts for you and Smokey! Get that antibiotic going and then we can go from there. I'm really nervous about starting all of this, but we can do it. Just have to go one step at a time. Though these cats aren't making it easy by getting fevers and needing antibiotics. Crossing fingers all stabilizes for our kitties!

Tbarry likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.