Smokey

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tbarry, Dec 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

Today has been a complete mess. Smokey slept with me all night. As soon as I got the glucometer out the battle began. Figured not even going to try for b/g. Next up breakfast. 3 flavors of FF later he finally ate. 3 attempts at insulin failure. Hiding antibiotic in something he might actually eat...almost success...close to half a pill. I am totally drained and exhausted. I feel like a total failure. The one positive thing today...he does like baked chicken (thank you Chris and China)!

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried burrito wrapping him? There are video's on YouTube on "how to burrito wrap a cat" but have you ever seen these Home Testing Tips?

Here's something I wrote up for others for testing...maybe it'll help you too!

It can be really helpful to establish a routine with testing. Pick one spot that you want your "testing spot" to be (I like the kitchen counter because it's got good light and it's at a good height....it also already blocked 2 escape routes due to the wall and the backsplash) It can be anywhere though...a rug on the floor, a table, a particular spot on the couch...wherever is good for you.

Take him there as many times a day as you can and just give his ears a quick rub and then he gets a yummy (low carb) treat. Most cats aren't objecting so much with the poking..it's the fooling with their ears they don't like, but once they're desensitized to it and learn to associate a certain place with the treats, they usually start to come when they're called! Or even when they hear us opening the test kit!

You also have to remember...you're not poking him to hurt him...you're testing him to keep him safe and understand what's going on inside his body. There's just nothing better than truly understanding what's going on inside your kitty's body and with this disease, the more knowledge you have, the more power you have against it. The edges of the ears have very few pain receptors, so it really doesn't hurt them. Also, if you're nervous and tense, it's going to make your kitty nervous and tense too. As silly as it might seem, try singing! It forces you to use a different part of your brain!

It's also important to make sure his ear is warm. A small sock filled with a little rice and microwaved or a small pill bottle filled with warm water (check temp against your wrist like you would a baby bottle) works well

For new kitties, using a heavier gauge lancet is also really helpful. A 25-28 gauge lancet pokes a bigger "hole" than a 31-33 gauge lancet does, so look for "Alternate Site testing" lancets that are usually a lower number

Finding the right "treat" will be a great help too! Freeze dried chicken, bonito flakes, little pieces of baked chicken...whatever low carb treat you can find that he really enjoys will help him to associate the testing with the treat! China's Achilles heel was baked chicken, so I'd bake a piece, chop it into bite sized pieces, put some in the refrigerator and freeze the rest to use as needed. It didn't take long for her to come any time I picked up the meter!

Tbarry likes this.
  3. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

Thank you started working on couch with baked chicken. Tried burrito, put him into fight or flight mode.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Then your best bet is to try to condition him like the instructions above and try to get tests in at least Pre-shot and somewhere in between if you can.

The vast majority of cats will learn quickly to associate the routine with the treats and stop caring what you're doing with their ears.

5. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Totally agree with Chris from my experience. First time vet tried to check blood in Freckles' ears, it took the vet and 3 assistants. They had more of their own blood on them than Freckles's! That was end of Sept. 2019. Following Chris' guidelines, now I call Freckles, she jumps up on the bathroom counter and waits. I get everything ready and break up 2 freeze dried chicken treats. While she's horking down the treat, I do a quick little prick and tadahh, I have that precious drop of blood that I need. She doesn't even notice nor care anymore. I figure we've pricked her ear about 300 times so far. It does get easier... much easier. DH can even do a glucose check now! :)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  6. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

Thank you everyone I'm not giving up.

Judy and Freckles likes this.
  7. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Have you tried using a soup ladle under Smokey's butt when he's peeing. Works great to grab a sample!

8. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

We bought one at the dollar store today. Have the strips, just waiting for Smokey to cooperate.

Judy and Freckles likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.