Smokey's OTJ Fructosomine score!

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Smokey, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokey

Smokey Member

Smokey's Fructosomine score was 317 with no Insulin for 3 weeks! My vet said this is within the normal limit of 191-349 and I should do another one in 6 months! I am definitely relieved!! dancing_cat

I will start letting his poor little ears start to heal and cut back from spot testing daily to every week or so. My husband says I'm addicted to testing him! I'm just so worried about my little boy!

I was wondering if anyone else had any fructosomine scores that I could compare mine to after being OTJ for a period of time!?

Thanks for your feedback!!
    Smokey Cat

2. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

When Kitty was getting dental bloodwork, I let the vet do a fructosamine. He didn't quite believe that Kitty was regulated.

And during his most recent bloodwork, his BG was perfect. :D

So I think I'm going to just rely on my meter from now on, and not pay for the extra tests. Seems like my meter has been telling me the truth so far! YAY!

Congrats on Smokey's OTJ!!!!!

3. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I've never had a fructosamine test at the Vet for Maggie! She has been in remission and OTJ for two months. She's due shortly for her six month check-up.

What all is involved here with the test? Do you leave Kitty at the Vet for a period of time?

4. Kathy and Kitty

It's just a blood test, but I was charged $40! I know that it has verified my home meter results, so I plan to skip it.

Conceptually, it's different from the home test. We test BG at a particular moment. Theoretically, the fructosamine looks at the levels of BG over time. When BG is high, there are layers of sugar laid down on the nerves. The fructosamine looks at how much sugar has been laid down, as an indication of whether BG has been high over time.

That's how it was explained to me. A real scientist would probably be ROTFL at my explanation. Close enough! :mrgreen:

5. Smokey

Smokey Member

Hi Ann and Maggie!

This blood test is sent to the Vet's lab and results are given the very next day. It is a blood draw from the kitty, usually on the inside of the rear leg. In and out visit.

Where a blood glucose test gives you the current blood glucose reading, a fructosamine test gives you the average glucose reading over the last two or three weeks. The higher the fructosamine concentration, the higher the average blood glucose levels over that period. In other words, blood testing gives a snapshot figure (where you are right now) whereas a fructosamine test gives a longer term view. If fructosamine results are on the high side, it would suggest that the current insulin/feeding regime isn’t adequate and that your cat is getting too much sugar or too little insulin.

I have a wonderful vet who recommends these only twice a year for insulin dependent kitties and remission kitties just to make sure the average glucose is adequate. Since home tests can vary with different meters, when you test, etc. This has been a tremendous help for us and is also used for humans for the same reasons. I also home test but this is extremely accurate and shows me exactly where I am in the range.

6. Kathy and Kitty

Much better explanation!

I had the sense, though, that vets have depended on it mostly because in-office BG tests are so unreliable -- kitties BGs go up from vet stress. Before we began home testing, the vet did one every couple of weeks. Very sad and stressful and expensive.

Once or twice a year seems like a reasonable compromise.

7. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Smokey and Kathy,
    Thanks for explaining the fructosomine test. I never fully understood it but now do so after hearing how it's done and how it helps see how Kitty is faring. It does sound reasonable to have one once or twice a year. Maggie goes in next month or so for a six month check-up since she's a senior at 11 years old. I'll ask him about this test.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.