Snickers update

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by DreMeister, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

Well, we took her to the vet last week. She was howling when she ate, so they found more bad teeth. Her BS was 130 they said was low. She went in last Tuesday for more teeth pulling, her 3rd time, poor thing. But they said her BS was low and she was showing signs of remission. That is great! So they lowered her lantus to 4 units instead of 6 per day, and bring her back next week for another test. I really hope she's heading North! She's been doing really good, got energy back, can jump into the kitchen stools again, and gained weight back. We're babying her right now as her mouth heals but I am happy about her health right now!

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  2. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

That all sounds like some great news. Since I don't see any testing results, we can't verify any insulin curves. Generally, 4 -6 units of Lantus is quite a bit. If possible you may want to consider testing at home.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  3. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

Well Snick is not a personable cat, I tried to test her ear before but she ain't havin' any of that. She stresses easily so we just leave her be. I'll have to let the vet call the shots. She's been sleeping a lot since her dental work last Wednesday.

4. Juliet

Juliet Guest

You’d be surprised how quickly they do get used to it. Trusting the vet with care is risky as they don’t test often enough. A human diabetic would never give themselves insulin without a preshot test. Shouldn’t with a cat either. There’s loads on here that can help you.

5. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

I'm just a beginner with the nick the ear thing. Ty is not so keen on being messed with either & he knows his own mind. Although he doesn't mind the insulin shots in his side , he has never liked his head /ears being messed with.

Have you tried a few clothes pegs holding the scruff of the neck. Sounds bonkers I know but it can help calm & immobilise without causing undue stress. After my first ear prick attempts , I will be using the clothes pegs.

6. Lillie

Lillie Member

I love how you described Snickers as "not a personable cat". A kind way to put it. Ha Made me grin.

7. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

I've heard of wrapping them in a towel like a burrito so they can't move. We have yet to try that. Anyhow, she went back to the vet today and her BS was 385 so back to 6 units of lantus per day. I mean, they give us 1ml at a time for 32 bux and it barely lasts a week.

8. Juliet

Juliet Guest

lol! When I tried wrapping Silver in a towel it was more like octopus than burrito! Easier said than done.

9. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I think health issues can drive up the BG level too.

Yeah, we tried to wrap Little Dude in a towel a couple of weeks ago. Mr "Dirty Butt" acts like we are trying to kill him when we are trying to clean those clingers off his rear. Jeez, what's up with that. Anyhow the towel burrito didn't work for us. Who knew that a cat could almost retract their tail into a prehensile curve?

DreMeister likes this.
  10. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Yechh! I had to put Alvin's bum in the tub once he was so dirty, poop squishing through matted fur. That was a real "Find a towel we can throw away" moment in cat history. Come on Snickers, we're all pulling for you!

DreMeister likes this.
  11. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

The vet had a hard time getting a sample as she fusses and squirms and growls plus they said she has small veins making it harder to prick. So the cat burrito thing is out. There's just no simple way to check her without getting mauled. Believe me I've tried it. Pricked myself so I just checked my own BS instead. Snickers appreciates all of your concerns. Our outside ferals are easier going than her!

12. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

Have you tried her paw pads? My vet sometimes sticks cats or dogs in the lip. I haven't tried that. Anything is worth a try.

13. DreMeister

DreMeister Member

I'm pretty sure if I got near her lips I'd be missing fingertips. Heard of the paw pad but haven't tried it. After nearly 2 years of 2wice daily injections she still runs off and hides after eating before we can inject her. She hates needles with a passion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.