So confused! Anyone use cat health insurance?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lovemycat444, Oct 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovemycat444

lovemycat444 Member

Hi, my cat Taco has very high BG levels, has been drinking water excessively for the past week and now is hiding under my bed. This all scares me bc I've had cats in the past that when they were very sick were hiding.

In case he has a new illness I want to enroll him for pet health insurance asap, as it sounds that if he has a new disease or illness that is not considered a part of his already pre-existing condition (diabetes) it might very well be covered.
    Has anyone used pet health insurance and please does anyone have any reccomendations? I'm totally lost. I've called the ASPCA and healthy paws and other pet insurances but they are all very complicated. I really want to get Taco on health insurance as soon as possible. Thank you so much.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2018
    Reason for edit: Removed 911 prefix. As stated in the responses, please reserve 911 for a medical emergency. Our hearts truly do skip a beat when we see a that red 911. Thank you!
  2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

What specifically is the 911 part of this?
    Cats will hide when they're feeling terrible. How long has he been under there?

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Please don't use the 911 except when there's a true medical emergency. Our hearts skip a beat when we see it! Hypo's are considered a 911. If you just have questions you want an answer to, use the ? prefix.

I really think you're out of luck with getting insurance that'll cover anything other than "accidents" (like falling out of a window)

Insurance companies will FIND a connection between his diabetes and anything else going on.....the most common complications of diabetes, like kidney failure, pancreatitis, neuropathy are all going to end up as "pre-existing" due to the diabetes.

You're going to be better off budgeting what you'd spend on a good insurance policy and putting it into a "pet savings account"

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Sine you said the above, it appears that if diabetes that would be an existing condition and hence not covered. Most policies have period of time before you can claim on them to avoid caretakers having a sickly cat and then getting insurance and expecting that preexisting condition to be covered.

5. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

You can get Care Credit, it’s not just for people ( dentist) will except it )
    It’s not Insurance, it’s a credit care that vets take. I’ve spent over $600 in 2 days w my poor Skittles and thank goodness I have Care Credit

Glassgoblin and lovemycat444 like this.
  6. lovemycat444

lovemycat444 Member

Thank you. I was panicked bc I'd had another cat who was sick, hide and he died very soon thereafter.

7. lovemycat444

lovemycat444 Member

Thank you for that info!
    Thank you. I really appreciate your answer. Earlier, I was panicked about my cat hiding. I understand now 911 is for hypo. I replied this to an earlier thread . I was panicked bc I'd had another cat who was sick, hide and he died very soon thereafter.

8. lovemycat444

lovemycat444 Member

Thanks for your information. Yes, he's had Diabetes about 2 years and is around 10, considered Senior for pet ins .

9. lovemycat444

lovemycat444 Member

Thanks, I wb this answer: Thank you. I was panicked bc I'd had another cat who was sick, hide and he died very soon thereafter. Thank you. I was panicked bc I'd had another cat who was sick, hide and he died very soon thereafter.

10. sherrib

What symptoms did your other cat have before he went into hiding ? Was it a male? How old?

11. lovemycat444

lovemycat444 Member

On Sunday he had diarreah twice, once was explosive and he tried to vomit. He's been drinking way too much water, Saturday morning shocked me, he drank twice the amount of water he'd been drinking at an excessive rate. He'd been hiding under the bed since over the weekend which is not his usual behavior. I was panicking bc I didn't know if he needed to go to the vet right away.

12. lovemycat444

lovemycat444 Member

Yes, he's male, around 10 yr old, he was a stray.

13. Noah & me (GA)

No problem, more like an 811. Years ago I found BJ buried deep in a closet, he had crystals back when cat food came from Safeway. It was an hours trip to the vet and he barely made it, still lived to 17. I know the feeling.

14. Noah & me (GA)

No problem, more like an 811. Years ago I found BJ buried deep in a closet, he had crystals back when cat food came from Safeway. It was an hours trip to the vet and he barely made it, still lived to 17. I know the feeling.

lovemycat444 likes this.
  15. sherrib

If it was my cat, I would take him in.

16. JeanW

JeanW Member

I also would take him to the vet immediately.

sherrib likes this.
  17. lovemycat444

lovemycat444 Member

Thanks! And so glad BJ was ok and made it t0 17 years

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  18. lovemycat444

lovemycat444 Member

We're going tomorrow

19. Noah & me (GA)

His brother lived to 23. Good genes I suppose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.