So which is better - FF classics or roaster/flaked/chunky?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ana & Frosty (GA), Apr 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

hey all,
    I just downloaded Dr. Pierson’s updated food chart to help decipher all the new FF flavors that I see lately. I noticed that in her intro, it says that ideally, a cat’s diet should have >50% of kcal from animal protein, 20-40% fat, and boy 1-2% carbs. I am looking over the FF classic flavors, and noticed they all fall short of the protein goal, only providing 27-48% protein from calories, and are pretty high in fat - all 50% or more. Carb content is good though, 0-3 grams.

However, the roasted, chunky, and flaked varieties, although higher in carbs (4-6%), are much better with protein (all high 40-low 50%) and lower in fat (37-50).

So which is technically better for the cat? I realize we want to minimize the carbs, but I’m kind of disappointed that the classic FF varieties don’t have a better protein content, and are so high in fat. Is it safe to feed it to the cats long term?

Interested to hear your thoughts!

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I give a combo of classic, flaked, and chunky.

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Have you seen Dr Lisa’s nutrition site CATINFO lots of great info

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  4. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I always fed the classic, chunky, and roasted, and sometimes flaky fish as a once a week treat, and still do. That way they get a good variety. J.D.'s favorite was the Roasted Turkey, but he also liked the Chunky Turkey alot too.

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.