soft foods

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jengilbert, Sep 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jengilbert

Jengilbert New Member

Anyone know of any really soft foods that are okay for kitty? Gilbert has an ulcer on his tongue. (I think from when I pulled a feather from his mouth that he pulled out of a toy.) I got a prescription to help coat his mouth but was wondering if there is something softer or smoother than pate that I can give him? Thanks

2. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

Nutro had/has senior loaf canned food that was like semi thick mouse/whipped peanut butter textured but, the last time i bought it was like 2yrs ago so i don't know if it has changed since then.

you could always add water to your current pates to make them soupy though? or if you have something like the nutri bullet or ninja food/smoothie processor, you can put a can in it and add like 1-2tbsp or so of pet broth or water and it will make the pate smooth like the nutro food without making it watery tasting..

Jengilbert likes this.
  3. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Yes! You've got this, Jen! Take one of his cans, empty it into his bowl - scrape a little off for texture, if your Gil likes it (just a little due to his injury). Then cut/scoop the rest into the chopper, blender, etc. It helps too to put on a kettle, heating water - wait until you can hear it, the hissing water or the kettle noise, then take it off the heat and turn it off. (Heating the food makes it smell more intense, helping kitties know it's food time or enticing them to eat in general).

Smoosh the little canned food you saved with the back of a spoon in the feeding dish. Then, add 2-3+ tablespoons of the hot water to the canned cat food in the bender/chopper -
    It'll be soupy - when you scrape down the sides, pour it in the bowl, etc. mix it up a bit in the bowl so the meaty bits float kinda, throughout.

Texture is based on water content and blending style.

For example, a 3oz can of FF - even with a little scraped off to save for texture, most of the 3oz is in the blended/processor - hopefully in smaller chunks. Add in 1 tablespoon water. Pulse, nice and slow for a minute, then hold to blend for a few seconds. Let off, then pulse again.

Should be a mousse like, almost, texture.

Add more tablespoons to thin it out - 2 - 3 make it runny, still "rich/thick" looking for "soup like" with checked with a spoon.

Before serving him, dip a finger into the food to make sure it's not "hot" - warm is good, hot, is not.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Tiki Cat Velvet Mousse

5. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

This is SO on my "to buy" list, LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.