Soft stool question (ick)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by arozeboom, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arozeboom

arozeboom Well-Known Member

Our civvie, Midgie, has had soft stool for the past few days. The vet suggested Forti and she wants nothing to do with that or any other probiotic I've tried to sneak into her food. It's not "pudding", more "soft serve". She a long hair and is seriously unhappy when I try to clean her up.

She had blood, urine and x-rays on Tuesday. Everything came back normal other than slightly elevated pH in her urine and a belly/intestine full of gas bubbles. She was dehydrated (she had been vomiting and a bit of liqui-poo for a few hours and turned down food, which is why I took her in) so she got a dose of sub-q fluids and we were sent home with cerenia and mitrazipine. The miz makes her antsy and vocal but she does eat better with it.

Anything else I can try to firm things up? I'm a bit desperate.

Thanks!
    Amy

2. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Has she eaten something different? Gotten into something she shouldn't? Did they test her stool for parasites or do a swab for bacteria? Our cats all came down with something a few months ago (one after another... all 3 cats) after one of them went to the vet.. Coincidence? I don't think so.

We did all sorts of tests and they came back negative although not the swab. They stopped eating too and I tried bland food like grilled chicken. After a few days of tests etc we put them on a 7 day course of metronidazole (flagyl) which my vet tells me is the drug if choice for diarrhea and it cleared up the next day.

Two of the three cats were ok after that but we had to give Tiggy a second course of seven days and it slowly cleared up during and after that. We think it was a bacterial infection but don't know for sure. I also bleached everything they could have touched.

Maybe ask your vet about flagyl/metronidazole?

3. MelanieP and Ninja

MelanieP and Ninja Member

I have had great success with Country Life brand probiotic called Power-Dophilus. You need very, very little. One single capsule will last you a week or two. The trick is to dissolve a scant sprinkling of the powder from the capsule into a small amount of water (guessing 1/2 teaspoon water), work it around with your finger until the probiotic fully dissolves, and you are left with just the water - then put the tiny amount of water in the food and mix it around. Do this every time your cat eats. Unlike Fortiflora, the Power-Dophilus has no taste and when dissolved in a small amount of water it is virtually undetectable. The key is to use a tiny sprinkling in a small amount of water, fully dissolve with your fingers before adding to the food, and use it every time your cat eats until the problem is resolved.

Within a day or two, my cat was back to normal. Also helped 100% with her VERY stinky poo (she had both runny and scary-stinky poo). Would recommend buying the smallest bottle of Country Life Power-Dophilus you can find and keeping it in the frig for best results. Sold at most vitamin and health food stores. Works for humans too. :)

On the cleanup (in the meantime), I received grudging acceptance from my cat if I used a soft washcloth run under warm water (to mimic body temperature).

Best of luck!

4. Shelly/Boots

Shelly/Boots Member

A couple things you might try. Slippery Elms Bark. http://www.felinecrf.org/holistic_treatments.htm#SEB1
    http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/slippery-elm/
    Another probiotic for animals...supposed to be tasteless:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WDGLL0/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i00

Slippery elms was the only thing that worked on my dog when she had it. It can be used on cats as well as dogs. I used to make a gruel, heating it
    into a gel like substance. Never tried just sprinkling it. It does suck up the water,so I think making the gel is better

To give internally, mix about 1/4 teaspoon of Slippery Elm bark powder with cold water for every 10 pounds of body weight. For very small dogs, it is fine to use the same 1/4 teaspoon dose. The bulk powder may be very fluffy, so pack it down as much as possible to measure it. Alternatively, use 1/2 capsule (per 10 pounds), opened and the contents mixed with water. Slippery Elm powder will absorb many times its own weight in water, so be sure to add enough to make a moderately thick gruel. This gruel can be given before meals by syringe or eyedropper, or added to baby food, canned food, or a homemade diet. It has a slightly sweet taste and is usually well-tolerated by cats and dogs when mixed with food. Give a dose 5 minutes before meals for sore throat, and before or with meals for digestive tract problems, such as inflammatory bowel disease, until symptoms resolve.

Another probiotic for animals...supposed to be tasteless:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WDGLL0/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i00

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If she likes dairy products, you might try a bit of plain yougurt with active cultures (acidophilus and/or bifidus)

I've heard that aloe juice may help with GI upsets too.

6. arozeboom

Thanks! I do have some slippery elm and yogurt. I'll try those.

7. Sandy and Brie

Sandy and Brie Member

Did the vet mention the possibility of IBD or maybe pancreatitis? Campylobacter?

Sandy

8. arozeboom

No mention of IBD. The pancreatitis test came back negative.

9. arozeboom

I cooked up some slippery elm syrup/slurry. I put 1/2 teaspoon of it on a little saucer and crumbled a treat on top of it. She happily slurped it right up. Hopefully it will help.

10. arozeboom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.