Solostar Pen Users

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by George and Bert, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George and Bert

George and Bert Member

Grabbed a coupon from DCIN and was able to get pharmacy to split box so am enjoying a $25 dollar pen x 5 = $125 per box which beats the $164 Walmart price for a vile.

A question: Are any of you dialing down the pen contents to keep the pen pressurized? Or are you just drawing and not making any adjustments?

Thank you!

Hope you and all your Kitties are fine.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The dial really won't do anything unless you have purchased they needle tips for the pen. I've never used the dial. The dial is to set the dose if you are using the needle tip. There is a black "plug" that is part of the pen mechanism. As you withdraw insulin, the plug will automatically move down the cartridge to keep the contents pressurized.

3. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

I've never used the dial, either. Only withdrew the insulin and watched the black thing that Sienne mentioned go down. Congratulations on using a coupon! :D Every little cent helps.

4. MelissaEbby

MelissaEbby Member

I actually started using the dial on my second pen. I'm drawing 1 unit of insulin, so before I insert the syringe, I put the dial on 1, then press the button. Sometimes I put it on 2, to make up for the excess that I sometimes draw out. I noticed on this pen there is a white screw that comes down and keeps that black plunger thing pressed down...I don't think the white screw came down when I didn't dial in, but I could be wrong.

When I dial it in, I don't even really have to pull out the insulin, it just pushes it into the syringe and stops at about the 1 unit mark. I can then draw out a little more if needed. If you were drawing 2 units, you would just put the dial to 2 instead of 1. I think using the dial has helped keep it pressurized, and I don't have to worry about it pulling the insulin back into the pen like it was doing when I wasn't using the dial. I've noticed a lot less air bubbles in the syringe doing it this way too. Now, I'm just on my second pen of lantus, so don't have a ton of experience, but can say I prefer using the dial, and it helped with those pesky bubbles in the syringe and pen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.