Some interesting facts you might not know......

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Patti and Merlin, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

For many kitties that come to FDMB - MANY of you will be able to get your cats off insulin following a lo carb canned diet.

Then there will be some cats that will need the lo carb diet AND some lo dose insulin for the rest of time.

BUT did you know that studies show 30% of all diabetic cats can have a condition called ACROMEGALY?????? Learn more about it right here in FDMB: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=375

Over the past 6 years we have been keeping statistics of all the cats diagnosed here AND on www.catacromegaly.com -(the SISTER SITE to FDMB - also run by our REbecca who owns FDMB.) And every year - there are approx 20 new cats diagnosed with this just between these 2 sites.

There are other conditions such as IAA and Cushings - also part of this group.

We are trying to educate vets more too. Get them to realize/recognize these conditons more quickly. Come learn more with us. REad our sticky, or even - buy our calendar filled with educational and informational tips AND meet these kitties and read their stories.
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23984

2. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I just added a link in a new post on Pearl's blog to the Acrocats site. The prescription of R prompted me to do a little primer. Maybe it'll help someone somewhere.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i wonder if this could be 'pepperthecat' as her numbers hang in the 500's A LOT!

4. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Thanks Karen for your help! :D

Lori - I'm not sure that any of us have heard about "pepperthecat" but if you want to tell us more over in the acro/iaa/cushing's group or come over to catacro we could maybe help you sort thru some of the particulars. If you've read thru our "sticky" it tells you how we tend to think thru things before jumping to the conclusion of thinking of acro. We all check in thruout the day for new posts in our group!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

patti, i'll link her loooonnnnggg thread here if you want to browse it. it's just a guess on my part. she's shooting H and his #'s are astronomical, going as high as 660 (i did'nt think meter's read that high)

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

7. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

There is no way of knowing at this point if Khan has any of these conditions.

Peppercat is a newbie and this info is going to confuse her.
    There is no stability in his treatment yet, plus a poor insulin and little data.

We need to help her get Khan on a stable dose, low wet carb food and hopefully a decent insulin before looking at the possibility of these conditions.(and testing for keytones).

Great info as ever Patti :mrgreen:

8. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

I have to agree with Kate! there are way too many things to sort out here first. The insulin, the food and this cat is way too new to being on insulin. Thanks Kate! :D As much as we want this to be more recognized - we don't want it to be just thrown out there either before all the basics are first covered! Also many times there are other subtle factors that play into this. If you haven't had a chance to read thru the sticky - you mite want to do that.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

thanks patti, i recognize that i got overly zeolouse wanting to correct those #'s.
    i agreed with that last post to bring it back down to basics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.