Some questions about dry food and water drinking

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sammie's Mom, Jul 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sammie's Mom

Sammie's Mom New Member

Sammie's isn't gong for the wet food right now, at least not the pate, so I was wondering something.

I tried the Young Again Zero mature and she seemed to like it, and the free sample of treats they send along as well. I was thinking about trying it but wonder today that should I go with the 50/22? Just was a little concerned with the less than 1 percent of cards in it. She could probably be worth her gaining some weight as last time at vet she was almost 8 pounds after dropping down to 7 and a half before we found out she was a diabetic.

I also got a sample of the Dr Elsey's Cleanprotein chicken and salmon today but have not try to see if she will eat it.

I was thinking about mixing them together since they cost so much, wasn't sure how long either would last as the boys seems to like her food better than theirs. The boys are not diabetic but Daryl could probably lose some weight and Larry has a mega colon.

I being wanting to ask this for a bit but just too chicken to ask. ;0) I have been making a concerted effect that when she heads for the bathroom, where her water is, that I would go and offer a plastic glass full of water for her to drink. She has been dehydrated and need fluids twice and I been concerned about not getting enough water. She is happy to drink water from the glass but we do it several times a day so is this a sign her numbers are too high still. I haven't had much luck lately on the testing part but if I switch to the lower card dry I going to get my act together to test her. Last time I did at home her preshot were in the 500's and midterm was in the 300, when we took to the vet when I thought she had another bladder infection she was 487 about 6 hours after shot. She just seems still very thirsty but her peeing seems to be less than before, before dx she would sound like a strong fire hose, now it seems to be as strong but like normal now. Or is it just because I offering her water in the cup and she is drinking it. Now she doesn't drink the whole glass full, sometimes she want a little bit and then leave and other times she will stay with it a bit and then walk away. Is this just normal with a diabetic with still high numbers?

Thank you in advance

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

While her glucose numbers are staying too high, she is going to continue to be thirsty and to lose weight. If you get her glucose under control, those things will change. You do not want to give extra carbs in an attempt to make her gain weight as that will raise her glucose.

Have you read the info on catinfo.org about why dry food is not a good option? There is also info there about how to transition a cat to wet food, even a difficult one. If she is already having dehydration issues, dry food will only make that worse. I know the transition can be hard, ours was, but it is worth doing. I had to go through a lot of different foods before I found some that my girls would eat enough of. It also helps to add extra water to the food and even to microwave it a few seconds to warm it up. Crushing a little Young Again to sprinkle on top helped a lot with Mia's transition. You can do that or even put a few whole kibbles on top. Persistence is important.. don't give up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.