? Something Weird is Going on with Pooka's Numbers. Insulin Advice

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Catlover3, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Catlover3

Catlover3 Member

So I have been giving Pooka 1 unit of Prozinc every 12 hours for about 3 weeks. Just created a spreadsheet on May 19, 2019 so I have been actively monitoring her BG for about 2 weeks. At first I thought her numbers were okay for a beginner then I noticed he AMPS were in the 400s! I researched the forum and found information on somogyi effect and dawn phenomenon. I was thinking she may be having the somogyi effect so after the PM shot and 1/2 can of Friskies I would give her 2 smaller meals of 1-2 tablespoons of pate at the 4 hour mark and 8 hour mark. This seemed to work! Her AMPS got down to mid 200s! Starting 5/30 I noticed her AMPS were getting higher again and I also noticed after her PM shot her numbers were not dropping as much and some times it would increase. I am 100% I haven't gave her any fur shots. What is going on? Should I increase her insulin to 1.5? Should i decrease her insulin? I use U-40 needles so I don't have a .25 marking on the syringe. Can someone Please Look over her Spreadsheet? As you can see in the AM I have not been able to take a midday readings.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. The mid-cycle numbers are really the main ones that tell you the impact of the dose you are giving. Based on the limited mid-cycle data you have, it does look like a dose increase is appropriate. Do you have U-40 syringes with 1/2 unit markings? If not, I recommend that you get some. Ideally, you should raise in 1/4 unit increments. When you have 1/2 unit markings, that is much easier - you can estimate the point between two marks.

3. FurBabiesMama

About the mid-cycle tests... You mentioned not having any in the AM. Is this because of your job making that impossible? The more mid-cycle data you can get, the better a picture you will have of what is going on. If week day mid-cycle tests are out of the question, maybe you could do a curve on a weekend day or something. Based on the numbers on your spreadsheet, I think a 1/4 unit increase may be in order; however, the fact that you had a 198 pre-shot once then some yellow mid-cycle numbers thereafter 'could' indicate that she went a bit low and then had a bounce response. It is impossible to know for sure. I do think that, if it was me, I would go ahead and increase by 1/4 unit and monitor at that dose for a few cycles to see the impact.

4. Catlover3

Catlover3 Member

Thank you @FurBabiesMama I just updated her PMPS and it was 186. I still decided to does her 1 unit. I was thinking she may be bouncing at night, is this bad? If she is bouncing shouldn't I decrease the dose?

I also plan to closely monitor her BG this evening every 3 hours.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  5. FurBabiesMama

It is possible that she is bouncing in response to hitting numbers that - while not at all low - are lower than she is used to. Usually, when that happens, you just hold the dose to allow the bounce to clear. There are no numbers yet indicating that she is going too low, so I would not decrease. Her body just has to get used to being in a lower range.

Jenna Josie likes this.