Sophie (17-yr-old civvie) update

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Diana&Tom, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Took Sophie back to the vet this morning as her croaky voice/gagging etc is no better at all. When I rang to make the appointment I asked to see the vet who looked after Tom - a very nice guy called Russell. Long story short - Sophie has a large cyst on her neck which is causing all the problems. As well as taking a blood sample for the thyroid tests, he aspirated the cyst and drew out 5ml of fluid - and he says there could be another 20ml to come. The sample is being sent to the lab and if it's harmless, Russell will draw the rest of the fluid out - if not, he will consider surgery to remove the cyst. I'm more than a little worried at that prospect but Russell tried to reassure me and says that although throat surgery is very delicate and difficult, it could be fine. Sophie is otherwise so healthy and he says there's no reason why she shouldn't live for another five or six years.

I'm a bag of nerves.I think I'm slightly relieved - at least we know what's wrong - but still apprehensive about the outcome. We should have the results back midweek.

Diana

2. Allie & Myrtle (GA)

Allie & Myrtle (GA) Well-Known Member

I was going to ask you for an update on Sophie, Diana, so I was glad to see this.

I think it sounds good. You at last know what the cause of the croak is and why it wasn't responding to ABs, and this vet seems to be on top of the problem.
    He feels she is well enough to stand up to surgery IF that should prove necessary, but don't look that far ahead - well, try not to! Just wait for the results first, and there's a good chance it's harmless and the rest of the fluid can be aspirated, and that will be the end of it.

Keep us posted.... and let yourself feel a little bit relieved!

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

(((Diana))) A firm diagnosis is always good news, because you can plan treatment. You and Sophie are now well on your way to a firm DX.

Keep breathing, and don't put the cart before the horse. I have a feeling this will all turn out OK.

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I missed your post about Sophie having problems. Sendind prayers this is easily and quickly fixed.
    Prayers for Sophie,
    jeanne

5. Heraldsmom

Heraldsmom Member

Diana,

I know it's hard not to worry, but my now very ill Amos, who is nearly 19, had a similar situation 10 years ago. It was a cyst on his mammary gland, and at first it was thought to be mammary cancer, but the aspirated fluid was benign. We had the rest drawn out, and never another problem ( until now, that is--but those are unrelated). So, we have all 28 paws crossed here for Sophie's condition to be a mild episode that will be completely resolved.

(many hugs)
    J

6. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Hi Diana.
    I believe Sophie will be alright.
    My DS's little dog, Maggie May had a cyst on her neck several months ago and it was not serious at all.
    Sending prayers for Sophie. I know how much you love her.
    Maryjo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.