Sophistacat info from Petsmart!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by WickedSteppMom, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WickedSteppMom

WickedSteppMom Member

I know many people feed their kitties Sophistacat, as I do, and were concerned that it was possibly being discontinued/reformulated. I received the following email from Petsmart this evening & just thought I'd share:

Hello Alyssa,
    Thank you for contacting PetSmart regarding our Sophisticat cat food. I have passed your concerns to our buyers. They have let me know that our Sophisticat brand is being transitioned to Grreat Choice brand in February. While we do have some items that will be permanently discontinued, some of the items are simply changing brands and packaging. For items that are transitioning into Grreat Choice label, we are not reformulating the food, simply changing the label.
    Below is a list of the items that are being permanently discontinued. I hope you are able to find a flavor that we are transitioning that your cat will enjoy.
    Please let me know if you need any additional information.
    Sincerely,
    Jessica

Attached Files:

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

other than the special diet flavors it looks like stuff most wouldn't have been feeding anyway due to the carb content so that's good.

3. Teresa and Poopy

Teresa and Poopy Well-Known Member

WHEW! That is good news!

4. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

Well thats good news but...I already went to my two local petsmarts and bought all the cans of the flavors that my kitties like- LOL. Oh well, I guess I'll have enough for a while... :lol: :lol:

5. MikeysMom

MikeysMom Well-Known Member

I bought three cases, but that's ok...dollars to doughnuts they raise the price to go along with the relabeling.

6. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

yeah i went and bought a few of the big cans just in case. like you gals said though, no biggie, just won't have to buy any for a couple more weeks :)

7. WickedSteppMom

WickedSteppMom Member

I know, I also have multiple cases sitting by my pantry. The kitties have been rubbing their faces on them, then looking at me as if to say, "You have all of this food, why is it not in MAGIC FOOD BOX right this very second?!"

8. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

LOL ~ 6 cases bought 3 days ago. Wont have to buy for a while :eek:

9. tbear36c

tbear36c New Member

Petsmart's Grreat Choice canned cat food is changing recipes without prior notification! I was able to get my Henry off the insulin just by changing his diet to Sophisticat, then Grreat Choice. Recently I noticed he was being someone lethargic so I re-checked the labels and they are now putting brewers rice into the Salmon Pate. I am VERY disappointed in Petsmart for endangering my cats and others by not notifying consumers of the recipe change.

10. nckitties3

nckitties3 Well-Known Member

I've only been buying this since the label change, but can tell you what I have in the cabinet and which have, what I guess to be a carb, in them:

Sea Captain's Entree - Rice Flour as the 6th ingredient
    Liver and Chicken - none
    Mixed Grill - none
    Turkey and Giblets - none
    Beef and Liver - none
    Whitefish and Tuna - none
    Country Dinner - none
    Salmon - Brewer's Rice as the 6th ingredient

Fortunately, Lucian doesn't like Sea Captain or Salmon, although I don't know how much is in there and guess each cat would have a different tolerance to it. I try to keep him below 5 since he is no where near regulated. You can be sure I'll be checking the label now and not going by the list, since they seem to want to change it on us, without notice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.