Sources of Pet Poisoning

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Venita, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Poisoning Incidents Cost Pet Owners Millions Each Year
    http://press.petinsurance.com/pressroom/300.aspx
    (Article below)

The ASPCA has an animal poison control center here and at 888-426-4435. You do need to pay for this service and do so with a credit card before they will provide guidance. Last time I used it, it was around $50.

2. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

The two biggest and preventable risks are

ONIONS

ALOE

These are huge risks because symptoms show over time, not at the time of ingestion.

The other risk factor comes from people who do not believe these are truly poisonous and keep the aloe plant on the windosill where it has always been or who leave the onion scraps on the kitchen counter rather than making disposing of them a priority.

Take the time to google and print out articles on common feline poisons, then print them out and make everyone in your family read them.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

what about honey?

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Walnuts??? wow.

5. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

??? It's not on VPI's list.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

just thought i'd heard that somewhere. it's what i would use if tom hypo's

7. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

8. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

Yep, we've had issues with walnuts with our dog. One Christmas he got into a gift basket and ate through the bag of nuts in there. He didn't have enough to really be of concern, but that was when we learned from the vet that walnuts are a no-no. The same dog also ate a whole bag of Hershey Kisses once...this dog never steals from the table, but while we were gone decided to eat that bag, including the plastic and the foil wrappers. Sooooooo not fun to be 6mo pregnant and trying to pour hydrogen peroxide down a 90-lb dog's throat to get him to throw it up! We learned our lesson and don't leave ANYTHING on the table anymore!

I didn't know onions were a problem tho...but maybe that would explain why the dog won't eat them if I drop some on the floor?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.