Spice don't know if it is a 911 or not

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tajana340, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tajana340

tajana340 Member

Hello everyone,

First off let me give you some facts;

Amps 450 1 unit Pro Zinc
    +3 442
    +6 473

She has not eaten at all today and she has drank a lot of water. She has urinated. Don't know about bm. She is hiding all day and if you touch her stomach or sides, she growls and hisses. I don't know if she has a urinary tract infection or maybe a kidney infection. I don't know the signs of any kidney infection. I would like to take her tonite but money is an issue right now. I am planning on taking her to the vet tommorrow. I am scared and it is almost time for her pmps. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also do we have any info on hyperglycemia (when blood sugar is high). Sorry I don't have an up to date spread sheet. I will be working on it.

Thanx, David

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Have you tested her urine for ketones?

3. tajana340

tajana340 Member

Not yet for ketones.

4. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Do you know if she at least had a bm yesterday? Would also get some urine and test for ketones. If you don't have any Ketostix or KetoDiastix at home, I would strongly suggest running out and buying some. If she has ketones, that is an ER situation and must be dealt with ASAP.

5. tajana340

tajana340 Member

just tested for ketones. Negative. Perfect timing for spice to urinate.

6. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Whew! That's one major concern ruled out. If you still have any of the urine, can you dip a piece of paper towel in to see if there is any pink tinge to it? You know she is passing urine, there are no ketones, next question up....is she urinating more frequently?

7. tajana340

tajana340 Member

no i already disposed of the urine.

8. tajana340

tajana340 Member

she urinated about 1 pm and then at 7:45 pm.

9. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Can you take her temp? She needs to eat at this point if she hasn't eaten all day. Feed her anything her heart desires to you can give her "some" insulin.
    She might just have an upset tummy and 1/4 Pepcid A/C is good for that. She might be constipated. She might be coming down with a UTI. I would definitely get her to the vet in the morning and I would also ask that a urine culture be run to make sure there isn't something brewing and if there is, what antibiotic would be good for it. A culture usually takes about 3 days to get the results back. If she doesn't eat tonight, she definitely needs to see the vet a.m. You don't want her to end up going into fatty liver.

10. tajana340

tajana340 Member

ok that sounds good. I will try to get her to eat.

11. tajana340

tajana340 Member

i don't have anything to take her temp with. Pepcid ac works? how do u give it to a cat?

12. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

It has to be A/C, NOT Pepcid Complete. 1/4 pill and I usually use a pill pocket to put it in or I just shove it down the throat and follow with a little water from a syringe. I would suggest you get a full blood work up tomorrow, including the electrolytes and especially her potassium level.

Other side of the coin........she is just having a lousy day......but things can change so quickly with the diabetics. One time with Mishka it was her anal gland so it wouldn't hurt to have vet check that too.

Please let us know how she is tomorrow. She certainly is a beautiful kitty.

13. tajana340

tajana340 Member

I will let you know for sure thanx.

14. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I have always given 1/4 tab of 10mg pepcid AC twice a day as I was advised, and it helps Shadoe.
    She has gas now, and also during her pancreatitis attacks.

Could be pancreatitis too.
    If no bowel movement, constipation can be fixed if not blocked by mixing in 1/2 tsp or so of miralax or lax a day into the wet food, once eating again. Be sure to mix lots of water in the food. The vet can always express her anal glands if she's a bit blocked. I have had to get that done a couple times for Shadoe, and after that ... new cat! She was not happy about it, but was definitely 'relieved'!

I mention the pepcid as Shadoe has gas, definitely, seen in her Xrays. She too was growling when both me and also the vet palpate her abdomen.

You definitely need to get some food eaten, and if it's been awhile, try anything, even foods that are higher carb.

When you get the b/w done by the vet, you can also have fPLI test done to rule out pancreatitis.
    Checking urine would be good too - no infection showed but after trying clavamox, then flagyl, we just started Shadoe on zeniquin and what a change. She is acting better and her dose has even dropped down, so ask about possible infection.

That should just about cover it ... check blood, urine, and ask about stool and gas and p-itis. and UTI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.