Spirit needs good litterbox vibes!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Heather & Seasaidh (GA), Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heather & Seasaidh (GA)

Heather & Seasaidh (GA) Member

He's been going in and out of the litterbox with no sign of any action. I *think* he may be trying to pee, which I know is bad and that he could be blocked. He's trying to get me to let him go outside, but I want to keep him inside to see if he goes to the litterbox. How long can I wait before it's an emergency? Please send Spirit good vibes that he can go to the bathroom.

2. Janet & Binky (GA)

Janet & Binky (GA) Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

Heather, I hate to say it, but I don't think you should wait at all. If he's really blocked, this could have been going on for some time. It's not something to mess with.

-- Janet

3. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Heather, I have to agree with Janet. If he hasn't produced urine yet and you think it's been too long, especially if he continues to go in and out of the box, please get him to a vet ASAP. And you were very smart not to let him go outdoors -- no telling how much trouble he could get into if he's truly blocked and can't get back home.

My TomTom just blocked again (2nd time) and is still hospitalized. The first time he nearly died. I caught it much faster this time, but it's nothing to procrastinate about. If you haven't already seen Jojo's post about blockages, look here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... sg-1771615

Item #3, "never ever hesitate if you think your male cat has not produced urine, take him straight to the vet. time is of the essence." is what convinced me to drive Tom 2 hours to the ER the other night. I knew something was amiss but still can't successfully palpate his bladder (I've tried), and wondered whether I was overreacting. I'm very, very glad I took him in.

4. Connie & Em (GA)

Connie & Em (GA) Member

do you feel comfortable enough to palpate his lower abdomen? When Jack was having issues, I wasn't 100% sure what was going on, so I grabbed him and felt around and sure enough I felt a golf to baseball sized lump which was his bladder.

Generally I have no idea what I'm feeling around for, but the bladder is really obvious if it is full.

Connie

5. Heather & Seasaidh (GA)

Heather & Seasaidh (GA) Member

Hi Connie,

I did attempt to palpate his lower abdomen last night and it felt ok. He tried to attack me though so I couldn't get a good check.

Spirit did urinate in the litterbox a little and then he was fine for the rest of the night. I think he was just having issues about the litterbox not being totally clean.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.