Spot hypo

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SpotsMom, Jun 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Normally I have no trouble getting him to eat his high carb food to steer him up but today he’s not touching anything! I’m syringing honey into his mouth but his numbers are staying pretty flat in the 30s. He has no symptoms, but I’m panicking cause he’s not inclined to help me out at all.. and now he escaped me and is hiding under the bed :nailbiting:

2. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Got him out from under the bed but he’s still not wanting anything to do with his food :(

3. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with Prozinc, but your last test was 36 @ +5.5, hopefully the insulin is wearing off. do you have some high carb foods with gravy? You can try squeezing just the gravy for him to eat. Any high carb treats?

4. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Yes I even tried rubbing the gravy in his tongue to get him started. He’s violently opposed to food right now. I just tested him again and finally seeing some movement from the honey though. He’s at 50 now. Phew!!

JanetNJ and Christie & Maverick like this.
  5. Christie & Maverick

Oh good! I'm glad he's come up to 50, but ideally you want some food on board, the honey just wears off so quickly. You could try some tuna juice on his food, or sprinkle a little Parmesan cheese?

I haven't used syrups or honey, but I thought I read that honey can make some kitties nauseous, maybe that's why he's not so keen yet for food?

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  6. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

I did manage to get about an ounce of food into him just now by assist feeding.. trying for more but he’s just not having it. He’s not feeling well today on top of this so I’m sure he just wants to go hide in a dark room.... I should’ve reduced his shot this morning but he was at least picking at his food at that time so I thought he’d be good. Ugh......

7. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

I didn’t know honey could make kitties nauseous. He was definitely not feeling well before that so I’m sure that’s not helping :(

Christie & Maverick likes this.
  8. Christie & Maverick

I'm not completely sure, I thought a few members preferred other syrups because of that. You are doing great, it's probably more so that Spot just has an empty tummy, any pure sugar might make him feel a bit yucky, that's why getting some food in his tummy will help in a few ways.

9. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

And 115!! He’s definitely on the move now :woot:

10. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Can yo please take another test 30 min after he has eaten?

The honey dose was rather large and will bump the BG up but may leave fast and the BG might plummet again. He is close or just past his nadir and I think he is going to be all right but making sure they stay safe you need to take a couple more test. 50 is at the edge. It might be honey influenced.

ETA: we cross posted, I see the nice number now! Check him again in another 30 min.

SpotsMom and Christie & Maverick like this.
  11. Christie & Maverick

Is that close to +6.5? hope his appy picks up a bit, but I'm happy he's doing better now.

12. Tanya and Ducia

I too read about it - some had to switch to Karo syrup instead - it is sold at the backing isle at any grocery store. The dose is a few drops of either honey or Karo, best if fed with some solid foods.

SpotsMom and Christie & Maverick like this.
  13. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Yes that was 6.5. Thanks! I hope so too!

14. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

139 at +7. I’ll take it! I think the crisis has passed! Thank you all for your support :smuggrin:

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  15. Tanya and Ducia

I think so , what a day for you!
    :cool::)
    I am not familiar with the Proz dosing but if you were a Lantus user you would have to reduce the dose by 0.25U tonight for the PM shot. Anything below 40 on human meter warrants a reducie right away for those on TR protocol on Lantus.

Unless you already know what to do with the dose post on the Prozinc sub-forum.

SpotsMom likes this.
  16. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Oh yes, I will definitely be reducing! :cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.