Spot’s rollercoaster

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by SpotsMom, Sep 19, 2018.

1. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

We’ve been working our way up for the past few weeks but it looks like it’s time for a reduction again. My grumpy old man has been doing so much better... eating regularly, playing with the new girl, basically acting like a normal cat... but today he went back to not eating while I was away at work. 48 at +10 is a little concerning but he’s not acting symptomatic at all so I suspect he didn’t drop much lower during the day. I should know better than to get too confident! Spot likes to shake it up every once in a while :facepalm:

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Yikes! He could have gone lower since that was pretty late in the cycle. Yeah, I would say he has a reduction coming. :) That's the direction we want though, right?!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

That does seem a little random given the numbers around it. I'm not sure I would necessarily take a full reduction. Here's what I would look for: what is the PMPS? Is he still low? Then I would definitely reduce for the PM cycle, but I may increase again in the morning, or tomorrow evening, depending on the numbers you're seeing. Spot is unfortunately past the six month mark, which makes him a "long-term" diabetic and reductions are taken more cautiously now. Some people say three lime greens before a reduction for the long term kitties. Personally, I usually reduce the next cycle just for my own comfort, but only by a small amount. For example, if I'm at 1.9, I might lower to 1.8, and then watch and see if i'm getting more numbers that lean towards a reduction.

I've also noticed recently that Sam will sometimes give me a low number, and then start into a pancreatitis flare. Not loving that pattern. :( It just made me think of that when you mentioned that Spot wasn't eating very well today. So it might be worth having your pancreatitis meds on standby, or a couple of days of CBD if you don't use it every day. Although I hope that is just Sam's pattern and not something that Spot will do!

4. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

This is exactly what I'm worried about.. I have noticed a similar pattern. I give him daily CBD so I may increase his dose of that tonight to see if that does him any good. I had already reduced from 1.5u to s1.5u this morning (definitely getting u100 syringes the next time around!). He's only at 56 now an hour before PMPS, so he'll probably get a bigger reduction/skip tonight (hopefully he comes up a little more in the next hour so I can shoot something!), and then go with 1.25u tomorrow.

5. Djamila

You shot on a 94? You did read the part where i said be careful of the PMPS number, right? ;) I assume you're going to keep a close eye on him tonight, and hopefully he'll eat for you tonight and the reduction to 1u will be good. Fingers crossed.

6. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

I did because he was on his way up. It may be a late night for us.... it’s been a while since I shot on a number that low, so hopefully I’m not filled with regret at 3am :nailbiting:

7. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Hi SpotsMom! Are you planning on getting a +2?

8. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Yes definitely!

9. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Ok -- keep us posted!

SpotsMom likes this.
  10. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

He’s also currently chowing down on all the food he didn’t eat all day today, so I’m a little less concerned than I would be if he still wasn’t eating! I’ll be checking his +2 in about 40 minutes.

Jenna Josie likes this.
  11. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

170 @ +2. Still rising but not letting down my guard yet... I’ll check again in 2 hours.

Jenna Josie likes this.
  12. Djamila

That's a pretty good +2 though. The insulin should start to kick in soon, and starting from a 170 is a much safer starting point. While I'm all for keeping an eye on things, at first glance it looks like you made a good call for tonight!

13. Djamila

Oh, and we don't use these much around here because most cats can't safely get a shot of Prozinc on a green number. But once in awhile one of us long-term folks earns it over here:

I present to you the coveted BOS Award for shooting your first green:
    [​IMG]

Congratulations!

<<<And to anyone lurking here, please please please do not try this if your kitty is less than six months into treatment, eating higher carb foods, has a medical condition, or if you aren't testing regularly. Spotsmom is a pro and has lots and lots of data to support her decision tonight, plus she has handled low numbers before so if Spot did overreact she could keep him safe. >>>

Jenna Josie, Rachel and SpotsMom like this.
  14. Djamila

Oops....probably should have explained that BOS = Balls of Steel :D

15. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

190 @ +4. I cant kick myself for reducing on a green, but man it seems like he would have been fine with more! I’m definitely leaving extra food out for him tonight just in case he decides to tank now, but I think he’s gonna be just fine!
    It’s not so much balls of steel as just extreme dedication to no sleep if needed lol. My heart couldn’t take these kinds of risks all the time :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

Djamila likes this.
  16. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Ha! The BOS award...oh that's funny!

SpotsMom likes this.
  17. Djamila

Yup, it does look like he could have handled more. But I think I would have had a heart attack if you'd given the full dose, and he's not even my kitty. Next time you can try a smaller reduction, and then work your way up. I don't get very many green PS numbers, but when I do, I almost always reduce by a tiny bit even though I know better.

How's he feeling this morning? Is he still eating well?

SpotsMom likes this.
  18. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

He does seem to be doing well this morning. I woke up a little early to make sure he got some food into him before I left for work, and he gobbled it up. Doesn't seem any worse for wear for going low yesterday! :rolleyes:

19. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

He's definitely not himself this afternoon, so back on the meds we go :(

20. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope he feels better soon! Sending healing vines!

21. Djamila

Oh, poor Spot! (and you!) It's so hard when our fur babies are sick. :oops: Healing vines for Spot and hugs for you. Looks like he gave you another low-ish PMPS tonight. I think the 1.25u seems like a good call.

22. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

This is starting to become a familiar pattern indeed... he drops low and then feels crappy for a few days afterward. Ugh... :(
    The meds seem to be working and he's already perked up a bit from earlier. I was a little on the fence about the 1.25u tonight because that's what he had this morning that led to the low PMPS, but he typically eats better when I'm around, so hopefully it won't be a problem tonight... hoping for the best! I'll get a +2 in about 45 minutes and see where he's at.....

Djamila likes this.
  23. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

85@+2. Looks like it gonna be an active night!

24. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

42@+3. And out comes the higher carb food!

25. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Ack, Spot! Poor little guy (though he probably enjoyed the high carb food). Does he eat as well when he doesn't feel well? That could cause this drop.

26. Djamila

Oh these kitties! two night's ago 1u wasn't enough. Last night 1.25u was too much....:cat: Sorry you had such a long night!

Here....you might need some of this....:coffee::coffee::coffee:

27. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Part of it is he doesn't eat as well, but I'm also starting to suspect that the low numbers are actually caused by the pancreatitis rearing its ugly head. On days when he is perfectly fine, he can go for longer without eating without the dramatic drops... so its probably a little bit of everything, which is why its so hard to predict :(

28. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Its ok.. its Friday so perfect for a work from home day (Spot will like that too). I slept in a little this morning but coffee is my friend today!

Rachel likes this.