Spriggan has bloody diarrhea...AGAIN

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Elena&Spriggy, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elena&Spriggy

Elena&Spriggy New Member

Hi, it's been awhile since i've posted as Spriggy's been OTJ for 2+ months and doing well...BUT...three days ago the bloody diarrhea and forceful vomiting returned with a vengeance. Haven't changed his diet, remains on wet locarb, no snacks, etc. Vet tried him on a sulfa med which gave him tremors, he shook for hours, so stopped that. Now giving him Centrine as vet said had no other ideas what to do. This is the second vet who's treated him, thinking about a third. This vet seemed to think he had a pancreatitis back in the fall, also he was on Prednisone for the bloody diarrhea then which this vet thinks may have flared the diabetes.

Anyone have any ideas/treatment suggestions for the diarrhea? Anyone have a baby with similar problems?

Thanks for reading.

Elena&Spriggy

2. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

What about IBD..sounds like what Thomas has had.

3. Elena&Spriggy

Elena&Spriggy New Member

Dana,

how did you treat?

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Maui has IBD and I limit the food options and brands - I stick with poultry and chicken flavors, and use evo 95, friskies SD and NV raw.

Wet food is optimal with IBD, some even say all raw is best.

Also using probiotic added to food will help. I get mine from vitacost.com and buy jarrow brand petdolphilus (keep in fridge).

I also add lots of water to the food.

Hope this helps.

And sorry he feels so bad.

5. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

We went through several courses of flagyl, probiotics, and tried to stick with the poultry flavours of food--beef seems to make things worse. When he started looking dehydrated fluids were administered. Whenever innapetance became an issue, I would give him some poached or roasted chicken breast. Someone here has had real success with switching to a raw food diet, but whenever I tried raw food , he would just barf it up. I found this to be much more trying than the diabetes.
    Prayers to you both,
    Dana

6. Elena&Spriggy

Elena&Spriggy New Member

Dana,

I agree, much more trying than the diabetes...at least you can check blood and monitor insulin dosages.

We've got him back on the Centrine and i boiled chicken breast which he picked at a little. I'll just keep working with him and hope this bout won't end him back at the vet's on iv's.

thanks for your prayers and kind thoughts.

Elena

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.