squamous cell carcenoma

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by George&Bert, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

My boy has the "C" word in his throat and the difficulties that go along with it. This is heart breaking to say the least as he and I are so in tune and best pals.

I keep wondering over and over about what I did to make this happen. I give him the best food, a good environment, more love than he could stand. Then, I read this:

I switched Bert to all canned a few years ago after consulting with the feline diabetes group and advice from certain vets. And I gave him tuna very diluted in water to distract him while giving his shot once a day. Chemo is apparently useless against this, but, we are going to try tomorrow to see if we can prolong and improve his life.

2. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

I am not laying blame or pointing fingers and certainly support the groups efforts. I'm just quoting what I have read. If I had seen this I would have made changes. Also note, my guys and I use distilled water because of bad water quality here where we have wells.

I hope none of you will ever have to deal with this.

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

((((((((George & Bert)))))))))))

4. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

George, I'm so sorry about Bert. My daughter told me about that study, a couple of days ago. I thought it was something her vet told her. Her little elderly cat, from a rescue 3 years ago, was just found to have a tumor under her tongue.
    She is feeling better, and eating much better, on pred., and will have it looked at again in another week.
    Neither she, nor her husband are smokers, but she doesn't know the cat's history.
    I feed mine canned food and tuna. Except for home cooking and feeding raw, what choice do we have, for our sugar kitties.
    I'm sorry you and Bert have to suffer this way.

5. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

((George)) cancer really sucks. I am not even sure if there is any real way to prevent it....so many kinds and it does not discriminate. Please do not blame yourself and his diet...I know it is hard not to when you are grieving. I know you will make him as happy and comfortable for as long as you can...and I do hope that is a long time. Hugs to you and Bert!

6. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

George, you have a PM.

7. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

8. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

George, so sorry to read the news about Bert.....hard and sad news to receive. Please do not blame yourself........cancer happens no matter what we do. Look at the little babies, some not even a year old that develop cancer. SCC is a nasty one.....lost my LittleGirl to it a short while ago and she had never been near other cats, smoke, and was fed both wet and dry food. Prayers for more time with Bert.

9. ceil99

ceil99 Member

George,

I just lost my guy in August to this. It is very hard and I too wonder what I did wrong and why he had to leave. :cry:

I am still missing him every day.

It is really hard for me to know what to say..........hoping you can enjoy your baby for awhile yet.

I will keep you in my prayers every day.

10. ceil99

ceil99 Member

How are things going today?

11. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

we're hanging in there....chemo tomorrow the 23rd.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and thoughts. We surely need them.

12. ceil99

ceil99 Member

sent you pm

13. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((George)))))) I was so sorry to read your post about Bert. I know how much you love Bert and I know you'll do everything you can to help him. My prayers and positive thoughts are with you.

14. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

jan and Hep and sara (GA) Well-Known Member

George,

So sorry that you are going through this with Bert. As Hope said cancer does'nt discriminate. Don't blame yourself. I know you have and always will give him the very best care that you can. I'm glad Bert has you and you will make sure he wants for nothing.

You and Bert will be in my thoughts.

jan and sara

15. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

George, how are you and Bert doing??

16. ceil99

ceil99 Member

how are you guys doing today?

17. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

george, one thing we beans have in abundance is guilt. we always wonder what we should or should not have done, when something goes wrong with our health or our kitties'. you know you've done the best job you can, more than many, so i hope you stop feeling guilty as if you could/should have done something different.

just hoping that you have some good quality time left with your kitty, and that the chemo does a good job getting rid of that awful cancer. just remember, our kitties live in the present, and he'll just be happy with your love and attention right here right now. sending you the strength to fight this, and the support to shoulder on.

18. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Picture of Bert

[​IMG]

He is beautiful, George, and looks like a truly understanding soul.

19. Michelle and Doodle

Michelle and Doodle Member

George, I'm so sorry about Bert.
    I am waiting for biopsy results for my cat right now and I just read that same article yesterday.
    I understand your distress over diet...
    *sigh...*
    Wishing you the best of luck.

20. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

George,
    Burt is very handsome! Love the little mustach too. He is a lucky boy to have you on his side. I know you love him a lot. Give him some snuggles for me.
    If you need to vent or just want to talk don't hesitate to call me. Hope you are doing ok.
    jan and sara

21. ceil99

ceil99 Member

How are things going today? Thinking of you

22. ceil99

ceil99 Member

How are you guys doing today?

23. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

It's been a while since I have written here. Mainly it's so hard to deal with and it takes a lot to sit down and write about it.

Bert is a tough guy for sure and very aware. He is so easy to deal with and aticipates what you want him to do. In most regards he is able and mormal, but, his appearance is changing due to the ravages of the disease and theb treatments. He handles them well and shows no signs that he wants to leave. He is in discomfort and he has his 5th chemo tomorrow.

He was doing very well and the tumors where shrinking doing a direct injection chemo, but, he has to be put under for that which is highly risky. On the fourth chemo he stopped breathing. They brought him back, but, when he woke he could not see or smell. Trust me, it was hell. By the second day he could see light and dark and now has recovered his vision. The problem is this dripped in chemo apparently takes longer to work.

At the present time he is having some difficulty eating and some breathing problems. We will see what tomorrow holds and what the vet says.

As I said, Bert is showing remarkable attitude and we have our usual love times. He likes to fall asleep on my lap when I am on the computer.

I don't know how I'll ever deal with him not being able to make it through this. So, I am hoping with everything I've got for good results tomorrow. I watch carefully for signs he has had enough and I don't see them yet. Everytime I think things are bad he surprises me with amazing recovery. I can't sell him short.

You all take good care of you and yours.

24. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

George,

You know I wish the best to you and Bert. This must be so hard on you. It is very difficult to think of that time when we won't have are beloved friend around anymore. I hope Bert gets more good results from this next chemo. Also I was very glad that he got his sight back.

I'll be thinking of you two.

jan and sara

25. sugarpura

sugarpura New Member

Dear George,
    I am praying for you and Bert, he is a beautiful boy and you seem to have a very good vet team and good plan for his care. His experience with the chemo under anesthesia was very scary and it is wonderful he came through that. I don't know if you are familiar with assisted feeding - which runs the gamut from finger feeding to syringe feeding to tube feeding, all of which can help Bert maintain his nutritional status. I would suggest you consider joining a Yahoo group called Feline Assisted Feeding, the members there are very knowledgeable and supportive and even having access to their archives can be helpful. This is the website for that group (yes, I belong to it). Best regards. Sugarpura

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feli ... d-Feeding/

26. Kimber and Bunny GA

Kimber and Bunny GA New Member

{{{George & Bert}}}

I don't come here very often any more, but something made me want to check today...

First I want to say how sorry I am to hear of this dx!!! My thoughts, heart and prayers go out to you both!!!!!!!!!

I personally have had two different cats with SC. I have walked through/counseled/collected stories of at least a half dozen others belonging to other people. This is NOT your fault!!! When Bunny got lymphoma I wanted to blame myself because SOMEBODY needed to be accountable. The cat had been fighting diabetes and Winning for more than FIVE years...cancer was Not Acceptable, SOMEBODY had to be blamed. We crucify ourselves...and more often than not it's something God/The Universe/What-ever-you-believe-in decided to happen. It's NOT fair, not by a long shot, but...

I can tell you Pudgie never ate more than few cans of cat food for most of his first 10 years of life. I can tell you they tried to cut it out, didn't think they got it all but he lived a GOOD length of time without issue after the surgery--more than year.

I can tell you surgery wasn't an option for Annie. I we got about three weeks...it's all documented on my blog, under the tag "Annie".

I can tell you Krista's Tiger lost half his foot to it, but remained cancer free. The Oral Babies--Dale Ann's Lana, Gia's Quirk (who had chemo), Kim's Savoy, and Laura's Clark all fared much the same as Annie. Pudgie is the only one I know that ever got remission--that doesn't mean it never happens. I've never seen one with throat SC before...

I have seen Miracles happen on this board. I hope your Beautiful Bert is one of them!!!!!

27. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I'm always think about you and Bert. Glad to see you post.

28. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

I haven't checked on here lately and am just seeing your post about your sweet Bert. I'm so sorry to read this.

It just sometimes seems so unfair, doesn't it - we fight the diabetes and we seem to win and we give them more time and then that *($#@%$(%& cancer jumps in. So unfair.

My heart goes out to you in your fight for Bert and I'm sending many hopeful prayers that you are given much more good time together. We love them so much and try so hard to keep them well - sometimes it's just impossible.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

29. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

just saw your latest post, george, and hope you and bert are feeling great today.

30. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

George,

I am now reading these posts, and what you're having to go through with Bert. Please know that you and Bert are in my thoughts and prayers. Is the treatment working? How is Bert today? Please give him a *HUGS* from us all, and you get one from us all, too. *HUGS* You both are very strong, and Bert's a trooper for sure.

31. ceil99

ceil99 Member

any updates on your baby? how are things going?

32. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

Sorry, I have not written much because it makes me sick to think about what is going on. And every day it's a new challenge or difficulty. Through it all Bert is fighting like a marine. He will not give up, but, he is fading and losing too much weight from not eating. My cancer Vet gave up on him just fifteen days after he said the cancer was heading for remission. Plain and simply he screwed up and misdiagnosed what was transpiring then walked away. My local vet is sort of treating him. It is a difficult because Bert wants to live and shows it in his actions. I want to do what's right for him and not me. My local vet says Bert's not ready, but, he'll show me when he is.

This is more difficult to endure than losing my family members. Bert is my Son and best friend rolled into one. I know you all know what I mean.

33. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

George,

I am so sorry that you and Bert are going through this. It is such a hard decision to make. One of my girls had cancer and I know how hard it is. Bert trusts you and that is what matters now. Give him extra hugs from me and spoil him rotten. As if you have'nt already.

You two are in my thoughts.
    You know you can call me if you want to talk.

jan and sara

34. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

Hugs and prayers. I am so sorry that your sweet baby is going thru this horrible time.

~M

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.