Squirt... health question?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cindy and Patches, Jun 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cindy and Patches

Cindy and Patches Member

Squirt just recently had most of her teeth removed do to reabsorption problems. She was making a funny movement... like something was stuck in her teeth and that is how we knew something was wrong. Squirt is a diet controled diabetic... will be diet controled 5 years in Oct. She also turns 13 in Oct too. She has now has at least 1 or 2 times a week begun to vomit... projectile... and then she is fine. This has gone on for 2 weeks. Goes back to eating and drinking like she just had a hairball, but she has covered me twice with vomit. Could this be stomachitis? Dr. Katie has done a recheck and can't find anything, but said to bring her back if it continues. I am stumped. She is acting normal until she vomit and then is fine afterwards. Sooooo.... looking to you for advice again! If I don't check back tonight... then I will tomarrow. Thanks for your help in advance.... Cindy

2. feathersby

feathersby Member

Cindy,

Sounds like hairball to me. My Fanciface does it, too..Comes out of the clear blue, and goes right back to eating after she does it!

I've been trying to brush her more, she hated the hairball medicine and hates the brush, too.

3. Cindy and Patches

Cindy and Patches Member

There are no hairballs that come out and she empties her stomach contents. Not to be gross but she has covered me and my lazy boy chair once and then filled the bottom of a trash can (she leaned over the chair into the can) the other day. It really is projectile vomiting. :?

4. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Cindy

You said 1-2x a week for two weeks, so she's just vomited two or three times total? Any diarrhea? Does she have a history of eating non-food items?

5. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Adding on to my last post ...

Some common causes of vomiting in cats include pancreatitis and heartworm, and you are in a heartworm-endemic area. Such forceful vomiting (if it occurs again) should be worked up, and you could start with testing heartworm Ag/Ab and fPLI for pancreatitis. You could also do abdominal radiographs. I'm assuming she had recent bloodwork before her dental, including a T4, right?

6. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

I do agree with Jess & Earl. At 13, there could me a number of things that could be causing this, and things can change fast for our kitties of more advanced age. I would bring her back to Dr. Katie and get her checked for heartworms, and also would have a complete CBC with Chem Profile and T-4 checked as well.

7. Cindy and Patches

Cindy and Patches Member

Total of 4 times....is about right. I will take her back if it occurs again. Smokey Joe had pancreatitis, but Squirt is showing none of these symptoms. She is eating, playing, and no signs of diahhrea or constipation. We haven't been able to discover a pattern with the food either. She is eating Friskies... ocean whitefish, supreme supper, and mixed grill. She had a complete workup prior to her teeth out and nothing was abnormal. I will keep you posted.... Thanks for ideas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.