squishy 6/19

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by sugarsquishy, Jun 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

amps 180! what?? i was not expecting this number. but wow. i did not shoot this morning. i have to work today.. hope this was an ok choice.

2. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

:D Awesome #! I don't blame you a bit for not shooting, you don't have enough data yet and you won't be home so that's the correct choice in your situation. Yay! You're doing great!

3. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Ooooh, how exciting!!! For the most part there are no right/wrong answers with FD, just a wealth of confusing choices. :mrgreen:

If it comes up again, one choice would be to shoot a reduced dose - there is a good chance he will still want the full dose on that PS, but until you have more data you can reduce to something you feel comfortable with - maybe 0.6 or 0.8 and shoot that. That way you still keep insulin in their system without really risking low #s.

Another option if you have time is to retest in maybe 15 minutes and see if the # is going up. If it's already up to something like 190 and you have a no-shoot of 200, I'd go ahead and shoot on the 190 since you can see it will likely be at 200 in a few more minutes, so close enough.

And regardless, the awesome PS earns a toast!!!! drinking24 Yay Squishy, keep those nice #s coming!!!

4. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Joanna is right, my bad! I meant that knowing the worry involved, being new to the sugar dance, and not being able to be home to test, it's better to not shoot than shoot. If you can wait and test again, and get a rising shootable number, that is a better option. I also have used the feed, wait, test again and shoot strategy in order to maintain a stable dose. That has worked well for me, other than throwing the schedule off.

I'm not a fan of shooting reduced doses when trying to get regulated, IMO ProZinc works better with steady dosing and small, infrequent adjustments. In my experience, varied dosing just gives you wacky #s that you can't make any sense out of. Obviously, others may have had a different experience.

5. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

I have to 2nd the wait 15 minutes rule and test again. If it's starting to go up and getting close to your 200 No shoot range, then you can shoot. I've seen Aria shoot from 180 to 300 in less than an hour and it used to blow my mind. If he is on the rise, then I would suggest a slightly lower shot, maybe a .8 and go from there.

From your SS I would say you're only slightly off. It's taking about 3 days for him to get solid greens on his nadir, then you start having what looks like a touch of rebound. If you're just shooting slightly too high, that'll happen. Did I already ask if you're using the U100's for dosing?

6. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

i am not using the u100 needles yet. i am little nervous about getting the math right. is it easier to use them when doing skinny units, or half doses?

7. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Yes, the u100 syringes are easier to use when making small dose adjustments and half units. It's very easy to do the math, you just multiply your dose by 2.5 but...you don't have to! There's a conversion chart here http://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm Just click on the printer friendly version, print it, hang it on your fridge, and you're all set. You are using a u40 insulin, so dose is the first column, the measurement in the u100 syringe is the next column. If it is confusing, post and someone will help you. :smile:

The other great thing about the u100 syringes is that the needle comes in finer gauges so kitty will feel the shot less. The needle is a little shorter too, which I like because I don't get as many fur shots. Some people don't like the shorter needles. You can get the syringes from Walmart or other pharmacies, or you can order them online. I ordered mine from Hocks. http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... 82316.html

You can find both of those links and more info here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/view ... =24&t=1979

8. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

The U100's totally rock. I used to keep the conversion chart right on the fridge. The other thing is, that once you switch, you can then just adjust down (at least in your mind) by the U100 units. I would still post here and make sure the vet knows the U40 units, but it truly isn't difficult and they are SO much easier to get a small change. But don't make the same mistake I did - they come in LOTS of "sizes." The ones you want are U-100 Insulin for 30 units or less with half unit markings. Hocks is the only place I've seen the 1/2 unit markings and they are a HUGE lifesaver when you get down to small doses. Ari is a .1 unit Prozinc when needed - try and eyeballing that in a U40 is impossible. But it transfers to .25 on U100's, so I still have to eyeball, but only between the 0 and the 1/2 unit marking. Did that make any sense?

I promise it makes your life SO much easier. You'll get much more consistent dosing.

ETA - If you ended up NOT shooting today (which I think is what happened), then it really looks like you've got at least a little Mr. P action going on, which is fantastic!! Yay!! I would definitely back off on the the dose a bit and continue. If you've got a cat that is able to go into remission, you want to keep the BG's in that happy range as long as possible to give the pancreas a chance to heal. If you're on the fence about the U100's and want to try them, PM me and I can send you a few sheets. You and Squishy are doing great! I'm so happy that things are looking so good (especially so quickly.) Don't get discouraged if there's still a roller coaster ahead. Prozinc really doesn't fully settle in until 45 days or so, but when it does, it's a fabulous thing. I think Gator's the one who always says - It's a marathon, not a sprint.

9. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

I just parrot everyone else. :smile:

I'm all for the U100's. Forget the "math." Every line on a half unit marked U100 syringe is worth 0.2u of u-40 [ProZinc] insulin. 2-4-6-8 as long ans you can do that you are coolio. If you have concerns just buy a box of the U100's and practice with water [but don't shoot kitty with water].

10. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

I have some U100's if you want a couple to experiment with, just give me a shout =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.