SS just created; help? 6/02/2020

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sadye claxton, Jun 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sadye claxton

sadye claxton Member

Hi! Okay so first and foremost THANK YOU for your help!! Here's the deal, I've been posting up until now but in case you haven't seen my posts...Bodie is my foster. Diagnosed 4/28/2020. We started on Lantus and went home with a FreeStyle Libre implanted glucometer to get curves. SO I have lots of BG numbers from over the past month that I could record but from what I've been told here I was doing it all wrong, so I've started over. I was wrong in that we are on Lantus and the vet told me "if pre-shot over 300 give 3, under give 2.5, under 250 give 2, under 200 1.5 and 100 give 1, under 100-don't shoot." So needless to say, his numbers were all over the place. She also told me to leave his DM kibble out during the day to free feed on. About 2 weeks ago I completely pulled the kibble after research. He's now only on DM wet food and some boiled chicken treats. I JUST started snacks of Fancy Feast, but I'm thinking of pulling that right now because I don't want to disturb the new numbers.
    My questions:
    1- can someone look over my SS? I wrote I'm doing "tight Regulation", because we picked a 1 unit dose and have stuck with it. Is that right? (please note...I am doing my best with getting a curve; he is VERY hard to get to sit still for an ear stick, and half the time his ear doesnt bleed; I know i need more numbers, but I'm trying!!)
    2-He's starving all the time. Okay to just feed meals throughout the day? Is there a science to how much/little to feed. He needs to gain weight. But we are already way over the "feeding guidelines" for the DM. Purina says give 1 7/8 cans a day (for a 12 lb cat; he's about 10lbs). He's getting two cans a day, plus chicken treats throughout the day
    3- I've wanted to add in some Fancy Feast snacks throughout the day to hopefully transition to that cheaper food, but I'm hesitant to throw a new "factor" into play right now as we figure out his dose...but if I don't do it now, will I have to do curves all over again later??

A BIT OVERWHELMED HERE...but SUPER thankful for this forum and all of you who are willing to take your time to look over my stuff and help me help Bodie!! Thank YOU!!!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

An unregulated diabetic is ravenous I would feed as much as he wants. Hold on for more replies I'm sure you will get some. ;)

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Start posting on the Lantus forum. Many of us rarely look here. I’ll take a look at your ss.

4. tiffmaxee

First thing I see if you aren’t doing night tests. Get a +3 or before bed test as many cats go low at night. Max did. You are getting a great response to Lantus. We don’t dose like your vet does so I’m glad you didn’t listen. Kudos to you! How’s his weight? Unless very overweight feed as much as he wants but nothing two hours before AMPS/PMPS so those tests aren’t food influenced. Switching to wet will help a lot but there’s no magic to DM . Many here feed fancy feast classics which are low carb. I bet just eliminating the dry has helped this cat a lot.

5. sadye claxton

sadye claxton Member

thank you Tiffmaxee! I reposted on the Lantus forum ( I think lol!)

6. tiffmaxee

Yep. I just got an alert. Continue there.

7. sadye claxton

sadye claxton Member

Okay, got it! I will for sure do before bed readings! Yes, I think the dry food elimination helped a lot! When he was first brought into the vet he was at 700...now looks like he's doing quite well. His weight is under...he was at 8.8lbs about a month ago when we first brought him off the streets; he's a tiny over 10 now. But he's probably ideally 13lbs. You think I need to continue the sticks during the day at this point? thank you

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  8. tiffmaxee

If you get a +2-3 during the day you will get an indication of how the cycle will go so I’d get that. If possible I’d want a +5-7 to see how low the dose is taking him. Cats can eat the same food at the same time yet the cycles can be so different. Since dosing is based upon the nadir, lowest point those tests are needed. Great job!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  9. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Sadye I remember you!

you guys are doing so great and you’re becoming a pro my friend! :bighug:

I agree feed as much as needed. Diabtiec cats can’t process the nutrients efficiently so their bodies are literally starving. Also little known fact, diabetic cats lose weight simply by peeing since there’s sugar in their urine. To give you an idea Minnie had gone down from 17 to 12 pounds so she was on a 300 calorie a day diet to gain back. That’s roughly 4 cans of FF. I don’t think switching from dm to FF will throw the number off if they calorie and carb content is about the same. Can you check? Don’t go by what the manufacturer says it’s usually always wrong lol

10. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

As Sienne said on the other thread “Required calories per day = [13.6 X optimal lean body weight in pounds] + 70”

I don’t think you’re in TR just because you’re giving 1 unit a day @tiffmaxee wdyt?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.