Start of constipation. Question.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SidneysMom, Jan 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

So, Sidney is growing bored with Fancy Feast. He was eating well until I started offering the freeze dried chicken during testing. Then he didn’t want his regular food. He gets treat addiction so it’s always been a struggle. I started crushing the freeze dried food and sprinkling it on his food as a topper. It takes a few tries if this to get him to finish.
    As a result, his stools are getting less frequent in abundance, small and dry, despite adding tons of water.
    (I should say, Sidney does not drink water. I add it to his food to make it slurryish, and he never touches a water bowl, so this is also a challenge to get extra water into him)
    I need something else as a topper. Would fortiflora be okay? Normally when a I have used it to entice eating, it only takes the tiniest amount, and one packet lasts for a week.
    Just need to get away from this freeze dried as a topper.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Fortiflora should help get him to eat his food. Maybe a different flavor of Fancy Feast too.

For the constipation, you can try Miralax 1/8 teaspoon once a day to start. Increase to effect (less constipation) per my vet's instructions. Increases in 1/8 t increments. You might also try some pure canned pumpkin, 1 teaspoon to 1 Tablespoon. Some cats will eat it, some won't.

Maybe give tinier pieces of the treats. The size of a kernel of corn or a green pea.

You could also try brushing Sidney or giving his favorite head/chin scritches or some play time as a treat. Treats don't have to be food.

3. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Dusty would get constipated with Fancy Feast and the freeze dried treats made it much worse. I used Miralax as Deb & Wink suggested and that kept him regular. If you're adventurous you can try a new food. My change to Weruva allowed me to stop using Miralax and still give him the occasional freeze dried treat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.