Started home testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by WendyWeatherby, Oct 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WendyWeatherby

WendyWeatherby New Member

Was shown today how to home test. Just tried it alone for the first time and keep getting an error message of E-6 on my ReliOn meter. I must have poked my cat four or five times trying to get it to read but kept saying the same thing so I gave up plus the cat was getting fidgety so I'll try again in a few hours. Hope this won't be an issue everytime.

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

From the Relion site:

"Why does an ‘E6’ appear on my screen?

An E-6 error indicates that your test strips have past their expiration date, the calibrator strip did not properly register with the meter, or you have an incorrect date/time set on your unit. If the error continues to appear, contact customer care at 1-855-776-0662, Monday through Friday, 8am-6pm EST."

http://www.relion.com/faq/#16

I am not familiar with the Relion, but perhaps you need to have the date and time set up. Also if you have the test solution you could try calibrating the meter. Hopefully other members who use Relion will stop by and offer more information.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You may not have gotten quite enough blood.
    Using 26-28 gauge lancets, labeled for alternate site testing, may improve your success.
    If you're using lancets which came with the meter, try poking twice, closely together to get a large enough droplet.

4. WendyWeatherby

I was able to fix it by taking out the battery for 20 seconds as I was suggested to then went to test him again and it worked.

5. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Congratulations on home testing. Sometimes getting that ear warm before you poke helps you to get blood a little more easily. Many have rice in a sock and toss it in a microwave for a few seconds. I take a damp washcloth and microwave it for 5 seconds. Then just place it around the ear for a few seconds and then poke.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  6. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Hi, my cat was diagnosed about 4 weeks ago-glucose 477…. I changed to all wet diet and after 5 days he was 240. I was hoping to get him into remission with diet alone but I went to see another DVM who is more specific to cats and "tight protocol" and she said better chance of remission with a short time of insulin. We have been on insulin (vetsulin) for about a week and he has been as low as 185 and as high as 288-I was testing 3-4 times a day but he has started running from me and that is heartbreaking…. I always test before insulin and adjust accordingly. (he usually gets 1/4 or 1/2 unit) Any advice for him not hating me?? He seems ok with 2x testing a day but he gets fluids as well right now-he is 15 and my other is 16 and been giving him fluids for 5 years for Ki failure-I LOVE my boys and it kills me when they run from me :(( Any suggestions appreciated.

7. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Poor kitty, he's having a tough time of it, isn't he? That makes it harder on you, too, I know. Make sure you give him some low-carb treats, and lots of rubs and scritches after the ear poke. He will get used to it, it just takes time. I've been doing this for about four months now, and at first I thought Squallie would never forgive me. He still occasionally runs or tries to get away, but it's really only a token effort, and he has forgiven me. He still loves me, and your kitty will still love you, too, you'll see! :bighug:

nora and Merlin like this.
  8. WendyWeatherby

Mine tested at 298 before he was fed then a few hours later when I got my lunch break I went home to test him and he was at 329.

9. nora

nora Member

I feel awful too when they run from me. And then I'm faced with having to coerce them to come out from under the bed or let the time elapse from when their meds are due. Very stressful for all of us. Some days are better than others. I wish you good luck! Nora and Kali.

10. jayla-n-Drevon

Thank you for the encouragement… I decided last night if I keep a positive attitude (not a fake one externally but really from the heart) he will respond and know I am only doing what I need to in order to get rid of this diabetes …. I know it is possible he may still need insulin but I really in my heart believe we will beat it. I tested him last night after his evening shot (264) waited 6 hours and he was 139!!! I was so happy I tested-This morning he was up a bit (256) I just tested and 6 hours later he is 157 :) I am making a big deal of each after test saying WHAT A GOOD BOY--LOOK AT YOU HANDSOME STUD etc…. yes sounds crazy but he loves it! He gets pure bite chicken treats (1 ingredient just chicken) and I am hoping these changes will also prevent my 16 year old from getting this disease as we have the kidneys under control. This group is amazing and so appreciated.

Merlin likes this.
  11. jayla-n-Drevon

12. jayla-n-Drevon

Oh man that sucks-We love these little ones so much --if only they knew we were trying to make them better. I totally understand it being so stressful - hopefully in the end we all have healthy kittys.. Keep your head up ;)

13. WendyWeatherby

This was Jarry's numbers for today.

1st at 824AM 298 fed and gave .5 insulin
    2nd at 1110AM 324
    3rd at 150PM 263 fed
    4th at 603PM 276
    Last one at 917PM 326 fed and gave .5 insulin
    Will probably test one more time before I go to bed around 1130 or midnight.

14. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Wendy!! Welcome over to the FDMB!!!

Have several questions for you, so hope you don't mind but we need to know so we can help you. What are you feeding Jarry? It's important that he's eating a canned or raw food that's less than 10% carbs. Here's a great site on Feline Nutrition that explains a lot about what we should be feeding that also includes a Food Chart with the carb percentages in column C

Which insulin are you using? Different insulins work in totally different ways, so it's important to know which one you're on. The only 3 that are really recommended for cats are Lantus, Levemir and ProZinc

It's GREAT that you're home testing by the way!! We have a spreadsheet program we use here that makes it much easier for us to see the "patterns" we look for when making dosing decisions and people will want to see your spreadsheet when you need help. Here are Instructions on getting the Spreadsheet program but if you have problems with it, let us know! We can help!!

If you click on your forum name at the top right side of the page, you'll see the choice "Signature"...You'll see lots of information in our signatures (directly under our posts) like your name/cats name, date of diagnosis, type of insulin, type of meter, type of food, any other health problems? and a general idea of where we live...as well as the link to our spreadsheets. Filling this information out will keep us from having to ask the same questions over and over again

Now that you're here, I suggest you start posting over in the Health Forum instead of here in the Introduction Forum. You'll get more eyes on your posts there. Once we get you a little further along, we'll have you move to one of the Insulin support groups (depending on what kind of insulin you use) or continue posting here

Again, welcome and let us know if there's anything we can help you with!!

15. WendyWeatherby

I am feeding him Friskies Pate and he's on a half unit twice a day of Prozinc. I haven't had a chance to look at the spreadsheet but will soon. I've been keeping record on my cell so can transfer everything there when I get a chance. Thank you so much.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  16. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Can we get you started using our grid to record your glucose tests? It will help us give you better feedback. Instructions are here.

Understanding the spreadsheet/grid:

The colored headings at the top are the ranges of glucose values. They are color-coded to clue you in as to meaning.

Each day is 1 row. Each column stores different data for the day.

From left to right, you enter
    the Date in the first column
    the AMPS (morning, pre-shot, test) in the 2nd column
    the Units given (turquoise column)

Then, there are 11 columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you test at +5 (5 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +5 column
    If you test at +7 (7 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +7 column
    and so on.

Halfway across the page is the column for PMPS (evening, pre-shot, test)
    To the right is another turquoise column for Units given at the evening shot.

There is second set of columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you snag a before bed test at +3, you enter the test number in the +3 column.

We separate day and night numbers like that because many cats go lower at night.

The nadir is the lowest glucose between shots. There is a general period when it will happen which is specific to the insulin being used and testing then helps make sure your cat doesn't go too low.

It is merely a grid for storing the info; no math required.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.