Started hometesting, on Glipizide with VERY low numbers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tigger12, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tigger12

Tigger12 New Member

Hello, I started hometesting a 2 days ago & I'm very concerned with his low numbers. The first few times I tested him his numbers where between 48 & as low as 38, but he showed little signs of hypo, however I treated him for it(and hopefully correctly, it was my first time) I wasn't aware of all the symptoms of hypo until recently and feel like a horrable parent cause I think it's been happening often at night for months now. I put off the symptoms as just being from old age. My cats on Glipizide(yes, I'm aware that it's not the best choice) & not insulin, is it even safe to give him his pill with such low numbers?? I assumed it wasn't and skipped his pill, it's been 24hrs. since his last dose and his blood glucose is up to 90, is that still to low? what numbers should I be aiming for and what numbers are high enough for him to need a pill? I just switched to a lower carb (only 7%) diet & am hoping he will no longer need glipizide at all but want to be aware of what numbers to watch for if he does need it. I can't post his results on the spreadsheet cause I only have an iPhone not a computer & can't figure out how to do it. Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks!
    -Laura & Tigger

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: Started hometesting & need advice on his VERY low numbers

Hi Laura,
    Glipizide is popular today - your the second person posting on this...would you be able to edit your subject line to include GLIPIZIDE?
    Just hit "edit" in your first post in this thread and add it to your title.

Im not familiar with it, but I know others are, and they will be along to advise you.

90 is a good number, have you consulted in your vet about the recent numbers you have gotten?
    you did the right thing by treating the low numbers, are you offering gravy (a medium carb to high crab content) to raise the numbers?

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

this is the other kitty on the same pill, a thread or so below yours...a bit more info in there about it, while you wait

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9258

4. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

I am so glad you are testing! My advice is to stop unless he goes over a miinimum of 150. What does your vet say?

5. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

90 is a normal number -- how was your kitty's diabetes diagnosed?

Have you changed the food to Low carbohydrate canned food?

6. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

Your cat may be a diet controlled diabetic and not need any medication, only low carb food. Do not give the pill with those numbers and check with the vet.

7. Tigger12

Tigger12 New Member

My cat was diagnosed 5 years ago based off of a simple boos glucose test, which I've just recently learned isn't the way to make an actual diagnosis, so I'm alittle fustrated. Haven't talked to a vet recently but will be taking him in soon.
    -Laura & Tigger

8. Tigger12

Tigger12 New Member

right now 90% of his diet is low carb canned food
    -Laura & tigger

9. Mal and Tubby (GA)

Mal and Tubby (GA) Member

Re: hometesting, on Glipizide & need advice on VERY low numbers

I betcha 100% low carb and you will be off drugs! :smile:

Attached Files:

10. Tigger12

Tigger12 New Member

Re: hometesting, on Glipizide & need advice on VERY low numbers

Actually, to clearify, the other 10% isn't wet food, however it is only 7% carb dry food. But yes I agree, I'm very excited and hopefull! I owe it to the information and advice Ive been given on this site, so thank you! I'm ill and giving him a pill every 12 hrs. has become impossible at times + he seems happier : )
    -Laura & Tigger

11. cjleo

cjleo Member

Hi there,

Vinnie came to me on Saturday, March 6th on Glipizide. The shelter he was in does not use insulin. He was given canned food for the 6 weeks he was on Glipizide.

I switched him to Lantus 1 u bid on Saturday evening. Despite have almost no ears left, he is a joy to test. Very cooperative once he finally started to give me blood. His numbers have been so low since last Tuesday, that he hasn't had any insulin since last Tuesday morning. OTJ, I would say. His number range from 70 to 104 - definitely in normal range.

But, even I'm amazed how fast this happened - not even 3 full days of Lantus! My last remission took 3 months.

So, Vinnie goes to his new home as a diet controlled cat. Lucky Hope!

Claudia

12. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Would Laura want to set a "no dose" number like 150 or something? I'm not sure how fast glip works in their system. If she tests and he is below that, no pill?

So glad you are testing, Laura. You could see how things go with the diet as is, but he may need to be weened off the dry food all the way. Some cats are more carb sensitive than others. Beau was "Mr. Crunchie Man", but he has been off dry food for 2-1/2 years. I give him Evo dry as treats a couple of times a week, but only 6-8 kibbles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.