started Spreadsheet- actrapid doses with Caninsulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Willow71, Mar 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willow71

Willow71 Member

I started my spreadsheet today. I have a lot of past info since christmas where Willow was on Lantus then changed to Caninsulin and some use of ActRapid in addition to Caninsulin. Ill update my spreadsheet soon but I have just started with todays BGs. Willow is only back from a 2 day stay at the vets following DKA. I am very doubtful the Caninsulin is having any effect at the moment. It has increased from 1 to 2 to 2.5 now and today has needed supplementing with ActRapid several times but her numbers are still very high. She is on painkillers and potassium tablets since coming home. She has had several episodes of DKA and also pancreatitis and now they are suspecting gallbadder involvement. We are wondering if the underlying inflammation/issues are causing her to be difficult to stabilise. Im really hoping her numbers come down by tomorrow.
    BTW Ive used the world spreadsheet - the US one shows numbers but not the insulin extra info I had added.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ADZ-5XSCImyuaCtPbXYpHp3qNP5tRMy4mpWGg/pubhtml

2. Willow71

Willow71 Member

Managed to get Willow's BGs down into the yellow numbers finally this afternoon! We've had to use the ActRapid insulin several times in addition to the 2.5 U Caninsulin. Had to ring the vet because i accidently gave her a whole metronidozale tablet (her dose should be a 1/4 twice a day... instead of her potassium tablet this morning which freaked me right out but vet said it wouldnt hurt her - these were tablets she has put aside in case the vet wants us to use them but they were putting off doing it yet - I know they are very bitter so I understand why she kept trying to get rid of that from her mouth last night lol. Ironically I wonder if the bigger dose might have helped her sugars by hitting any infection/inflammation - time will tell if it was that or just getting better on the caninsulin. If her numbers go up again and wonr come down Ill talk to the vet about giving the metronidozale.

Sharon14 likes this.
  3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Glad she’s come down some! How’s her eating? Be sure you check her for ketones daily since she’s had DKA.

Willow71 likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Took me three months and a dose of 3 units to see my first yellow so I know how it goes. Thankfully my cat never went dka though, knock on wood.

monty_dweezil (GA) and Willow71 like this.
  5. Willow71

Willow71 Member

Her eating is pretty good. Not as ravenous as usual but eating well.

monty_dweezil (GA) and Sharon14 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.