Started the Methyl B-12 Yesterday - SEE PICS

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley's Mom, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

As of yesterday I started Harley on methyl b-12 and I am thrilled to report that I found a sneaky way to hide the pill in one of his favorite snacks so he has taken them without even knowing he took them! His pain and front leg issue may not be neuropathy at all but I feel like I have to try this for his sake and I am praying it does have a positive affect on him.

I am putting two pictures here so that maybe you can understand the change I see in his legs. The first is a pic of him about 3 years ago, standing normally on his front feet. The second pic is a close up of his front feet now and you can see they bend much further up. This picture is probably 6 months old. I think they are really worse today.

I also wanted to get feedback on dosage of methyl B-12 for Harley. The pills I purchased are 1000 mcg which if I read it right 1000 mcg = 1mg
    and that a cat over 10 lbs should take 3 Mg a day. Now Harley is 25 lbs so, will 3MG a day be enough?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Holly and Pablo

Holly and Pablo Member

Pablo has the exact same thing with his front feet. I've only owned him (if you can OWN a cat) for a little over a year, and he's looked like that the whole time. He definitely has the neuropathy in his back legs (typical plantigrade stance on both rear legs), and I'd just assumed that was what was going on with his front legs. He's been on methyl b-12 for months, and it just occured to me that his back legs are better but his front aren't. So I started thinking that maybe there is something different going on with his legs, anatomically.

He crosses his front legs pretty badly when he walks, but he gets around fine. He jumps, walks quickly, even runs if I have food. :D

Since I don't know what he looked like before, and I'm not sedating him to get x-rays, I just assumed I'd never really know for sure what caused it. Maybe it's neuropathy, maybe he was like that from birth...who knows! But in light of your cat having it too, maybe it is r/t diabetes.

3. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

When you catch Harley in the right position you would almost think his front legs had been broken and healed wrong. It is odd and his definitely were not that way all of his life.

4. cjleo

cjleo Member

Harley is a gorgeous cat. Breed? Just curious.

Claudia

5. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

Thank you, I think he is beautiful too. I should put that in my profile. Harley is a Maine Coon and he is 11 years old.

6. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I gave Maui 5 mg per day. I opened the capsule and mixed it into her food. What she didn't eat or her body did not need, she peed out.

My understanding is that 3-5 mg daily is the correct amount to give.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.