Started with PZ over 1week ago

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by David McGuinness, Jan 5, 2018.

  1. David McGuinness

    David McGuinness Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    My cat Bryant was diagnosed over a week ago and stared him on 1u 2x day. He has an absess and needs dental surgery that the vet wants to hold off on until we get his diabetes under controll. He was given Clavamox for 5 days before he was diagnosed and started on PZ. Based on the high numbers 3 days ago the vet advised to increase his early dose to 2u and the late dose at 1u. Unfortunately the infection flared up and he's back on the Clavamox for the past 3 days. I started a curve yesterday and see no real drop in his high numbers.
    See spredsheet
     
  2. FurBabiesMama

    FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2017
    Hi. I find it very odd that the vet told you to give a different dose for AM and PM. Normally, the dosing should be consistent. Based on the numbers you have, the insulin is basically having no impact. Bryant's dental issue is very likely keeping his numbers high. Pain and infection will do that. So, it sounds like a catch-22 that the vet does not want to address the dental until the diabetes is under control. What exactly is he waiting to see in regards to BG numbers before doing the procedure? Mia had dental extractions while her numbers were staying in the mid-200s up to low 400s. She was definitely not regulated at the time, but her numbers were not as high as Bryant's. (She also did not have an abscess to drive them up that far.) She took Clavamox starting a few days before and lasting until a few days after.

    Do you have a veterinary specialist clinic in your area? If you do (and cost is not an issue), you may want to see a dental specialist for the procedure. I have taken both of my girls to one (board-certified veterinary dentist; Diplomate of the American Veterinary Dental College) for their extractions, and I will always go to him from now on for any dental anything for them. It is just a different level of care than you get from a general vet, even the anesthetic protocols and monitoring that they do. (Mia also sees the internal medicine specialist at the same clinic for her diabetes, and it made me more comfortable to know they were talking/coordinating.)
     
  3. Kris & Teasel

    Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2016
    It seems that your vet thinks that you can get your kitty's BG under control quickly. I'm sorry to say but that's unrealistic. Even with an easy to regulate cat it can take weeks and when there's a significant infection going on it'll be even harder.
     
  4. David McGuinness

    David McGuinness Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    As much as I wish for it, Unfortunately I cannot afford the type of care you mention! I am trying to do the beat I can given my resources at this time. Just starting this treatment is a big financial hit for me. I am struggling with figuring out how to upgrade his care from the lower cost vet services I am using. It's a troubling situation. I appreciate the input.
     
  5. Kris & Teasel

    Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2016
    I think we can help you maximize your kitty's treatment with the resources you have at your disposal. Many people don't have access to veterinary specialists. There's a lot of very good advice available free on FDMB. :) That said, I stand by my comment about needing significant time to get BG under control.
     
  6. Djamila

    Djamila Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    Oops. Didn't see you have two threads now. I responded on your other thread.

    As for the vet/dental issue -- I think it could be helpful to ask what numbers s/he needs to see before doing the procedure so we know what we're aiming at. It might also be worth calling around to any other vets in your area to see if you can find someone who is willing to do the procedure sooner. I'm worried about how high Bryant is too, but it sounds like this tooth needs to come out fairly quickly if he's on his second round of Clavamox.
     
    FurBabiesMama likes this.
  7. David McGuinness

    David McGuinness Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    Yes! Thanks! So is the best option to push to go ahead with surgery to eliminate this factor keeping his numbers high? I know there is considerable risk to him as hes an old (possibly somewhere between 15-18 or older, birthdate unknown), and he's underweight(6 1/2 lbs). He's a tough old street cat but I'm prepared to take the risks if his life can improve.
     
  8. Kris & Teasel

    Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2016
    I think many of us would advocate for surgery sooner than later because that appears to be a major stumbling block in moving his BG into better a better range. Will your vet be doing a senior blood panel to assess his fitness for surgery?
     
  9. Rachel

    Rachel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2013
    I'd definitely talk to the vet about doing surgery sooner to help the BG numbers. Did he explain why he thinks you need to wait? That doesn't make a ton of sense to me.
     
  10. David McGuinness

    David McGuinness Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    Yes! The Vet did a blood test to check pre surgery, this was what discovered the high BGL.
     
  11. Critter Mom

    Critter Mom Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Hi David,

    I just popped in to see how Bryant's getting on and I'm sorry to see he's still in very high numbers. (((Bryant)))

    If you're not already doing so, as a safety precaution it's wise to regularly check urine for ketones. Here are some helpful stickies:

    Testing your cat for ketones

    Tips for collecting urine samples

    Are you getting enough support from your vet? Is there anything we might be able to help with?


    Mogs
    .
     
  12. David McGuinness

    David McGuinness Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    Thanks! I will start checking his ketones! Im in contact with my vet and as you may see in my spreadsheet we’ve upped his dosage to 3u 2x day. It’s concerning his numbers are not coming down and after another week of him on Clavamox to fight the abcess, the vet recommended a week at 3u now to see how he responds. It’s a vicious cycle as it’s just a matter of time b4 the abcess flares up again. So frustrating.
     
  13. Critter Mom

    Critter Mom Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Poor Bryant. (((Bryant))) That abscess really isn't helping his case any BG-wise. :(

    Is he eating and drinking OK?


    Mogs
    .
     
  14. Rachel

    Rachel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2013
    Did you chat with the vet about doing the surgery sooner? I really think that would help bring his numbers down...
     

Share This Page