Starting a spreadsheet for Minion

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Katcat, Jun 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katcat

Katcat New Member

Hi all, I've had what seems to be a classic situation with a newly diagnosed diabetic cat - bought the prescription diet food, paid for expensive tests, got an Alpha Trak 2 to conduct a glucose curve... but was discouraged from regular home testing because you can't "micromanage" a cat's diabetes. After a few Google searches, I found this forum and have since learned a lot. I've returned the prescription diet food and now test before every shot. I'm trying out vet #3 soon.

Minion was treated for hyperthyroidism in February and, months later when he wasn't improving, the vet ran tests and said his thyroid is now functioning properly, but he has diabetes. He's been on Lantus for one month and is not regulated, but hopefully we'll get there. His spreadsheet should be available from my signature line - maybe I should post in the Lantus forum next? I'm confused about when to not shoot versus giving a lesser dose amount.

Thanks!

Julia & Bandit (GA) likes this.
  2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome!
    You've got your signature and spreadsheet going, so popping into the Lantus forum, reading over the stickies, and starting to post is your next stop.

3. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome! That picture is adorable! :woot:

4. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad--you're doing great! Good for you for doing your own research and getting Minion set on the right treatment course. Unfortunately, it seems that nearly all vets miss some piece of treatment that's very important, whether it be the food, insulin, home testing, or all three! In our case, Bandit's vet actually got most things right--she told us we needed to feed a low carb, canned, commercial diet (and gave us a list of foods that were low carb in various price ranges), she started him on Lantus, told me I must home test, and that human meters were fine for this. The piece she ended up getting wrong was her dosing advice--she was dosing Bandit like he was a dog, doing once a day shots and raising in whole units. Thank goodness I found these boards, where I learned about Tight Regulation and how frequently I needed to test and make dose adjustments!

Definitely make your way over to the Lantus forum--there's a ton of knowledgeable people that can help you figure everything out!

Welcome! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.