Starting consistent lower numbers -- now what?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kris & Motska (GA), Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris & Motska (GA)

Kris & Motska (GA) Member

I'm hesitant to post about this -- I don't want to jinx it!! But Motska has been getting some nice low numbers -- especially the past few days. How will I know if/when it's time to try to get her OTJ?

Motska is on Vetsulin (.1u or .2u BID depending upon her pre-shot numbers). Before anyone rounds up the villagers and the torches, yes I know about the warnings about Vetsulin. It was a conscious decision I made based upon the fact that she's been doing well on it despite all of the warnings. A year ago she was up to 3.5u BID, and is now down to .1 or .2u BID. I really didn't want to change her insulin while she was making such good progress.

Her numbers have been looking pretty good -- especially the past few days. Lots of blues on her spreadsheet, and a couple of skipped shots (in hindsight, I should have at least given her one drop -- just to be sure). She's still in the blues at +8 and +11 lately, and as many of you know, Vetsulin doesn't have that kind of duration -- especially when it's the same vial we've been using for the past seven weeks! So I'm hoping maybe her pancreas is kicking in!!!???

I realize I'm jumping the gun -- it's only a few days of good numbers, but I want to have some idea ahead of time -- about how I'll know if/when she's ready to go OTJ and if there's a particular way I should go about it? Not sure if it will be the same for every type of insulin, but since the Vetsulin ISG is fairly quiet, I thought I'd post here. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

(And if she's really not getting ready to go off the juice, then I certainly won't push it -- my main concern is her well-being. I guess I'm just getting my hopes up a little soon!) nailbite_smile

Thanks!

Kris

2. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

You generally want to try an OTJ trial when kitty goes too low on the lowest dose you can give OR you get non-diabetic numbers on the lowest dose for like a week or two. I wouldn't classify your numbers as non-diabetic numbers just yet - but they ARE wonderful looking numbers!!!! Once kitty is regularly getting numbers 120 or below is what I personally consider non-diabetic numbers.

3. Kris & Motska (GA)

Kelly, thanks for the advice -- I really appreciate it.

It's my own fault for not paying close enough attention when people have discussed going OTJ in previous threads. I didn't pay too much attention, because I honestly never thought Motska would have the slightest chance of going OTJ. When she was first diagnosed we put her on Glipizide and went through increasing doses over the course of 2-3 months before finally putting her on insulin. So once I found the FDMB and read about the damage that Glipizide can cause to the pancreas -- well, I thought we had damaged her pancreas beyond its ability to heal. So.... it never occurred to me that she'd start seeing good numbers or get on such a low dose. ohmygod_smile

We'll keep watching and keep our fingers crossed. Thank you again for the help!!!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

kris going off the juice can be one scary time. there is always the question, should i shoot should i not?
    if you want some good eyes to help you with this process if would be helpful to post some #'s for us and their date and + since last shot plus dose.
    just sayin, if you want help.
    we love watching a kitty go OTJ.

5. Kris & Motska (GA)

Okay -- so I was jumping the gun a bit. Motska's numbers aren't quite as low as they were over the weekend, but they're still pretty nice considering she's on such a low dose. (We spent the weekend at my boyfriend's house -- maybe there's something good in the water over there?!) But at least I feel comfortable that I know what to look out for -- just in case her little pancreas starts saying "okay mommy, I'm awake!" I just wish I could get mid-cycle numbers during the week, but I don't work close enough to the house to come home at lunchtime.

In case anyone's curious:

Sat 9/25
    286 -> AMPS -> .2u (did her AM stuff a little late today)
    90 -> +7 hr
    113 -> +8 hr
    170 -> +11 (tried to feed, but wouldn't eat right away, so no shot)
    216 -> +12.5 -> .1u (after she finally ate a little)

Sun 9/26
    152 -> +13 hr since last night's shot (this would normally have been her AMPS, but with such a low BG number, I skipped it)
    161 -> +17 still no shot
    272 -> +25 (PMPS) -> .1u

Mon 9/27
    101 -> AMPS -> no shot
    153 -> +18.5 since last night's shot
    140 -> +20.5 since last night's shot
    161 -> +22 (PMPS) -> 1 drop of insulin

Tues 9/28
    210 -> AMPS -> .1u
    198 -> PMPS -> .1u

Wed 9/29
    197 -> AMPS -> .1u (possible fur shot -- she rolled over while I was in the middle of the shot)

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

nice kris, maybe raise that .1 to a .3 mr. p is asking for a little help still. i do see what your doing tho' and think it's great. it's kind of advanced thinking. you been around awhile?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

doing what your doing should include some evidence of green somewhere in order to be successful, specially by day 3

8. Kris & Motska (GA)

I'm probably going to put her back up at .2u BID. During the time I had her at .4u, her nadirs were going down into the mid-50's on the weekends when I could spot-check or do a curve. And since I'm not home on weekdays, I was afraid I was putting her in danger of a bad hypo with nobody around to catch it, so I think we'll stick to .2 for awhile and see how it goes....

As far as how long I've been here... I didn't find this site until about a year ago. But I just did a lot of lurking and reading -- I didn't actually sign up until May (I think) of this year. And I just try to read everything that sounds like it might even remotely relate to Motska's situation -- and when I can, I read even the stuff that doesn't really relate to her at all. I have a mixed blessing in that things are pretty slow here at work, so I've been able to spend quite a bit of time on the internet doing this! (But this much free time is not very good for my job security!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.