Starting Lantus on Monday

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Alexa & Pootch, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexa & Pootch

Alexa & Pootch Member

(I just dumped the latest bg numbers in the spreadsheet - will make it pretty later. BG levels translated ok - tx everyone!)

Hello all,
    I'm wondering if I grab your expeienced ears for a minute?
    We are planning to start Lantus shortly, and I am concerned about a few of the vet's instructions:
    1) strict 2 units twice daily to start (without dose variance), followed by a bg curve on the 7th day (fine);
    2) After curve results on 7th day, most likely to continue with 2 units twice daily, but she says it's not necessary to hometest, as Pootch will most likely NEVER become regulated (kinda weird, since he's usually OTJ 3 - 4 months per year with the Canninsulin), and she does not intend to vary the dosage in the future!

So here are my concerns:
    1) I have never switched insulins before - what are the chances that the faster acting Lantus will throw him into Hypo if his regular numbers are usually between 18.0 (325) & 25 (450)?
    2) Since he has had a natural tendency to go OTJ in the past, am I ruining his chances by switching him (to a better insulin?)?
    3) If I blindly continue to dose him at 2 units twice daily, doesn't that kinda defeat the whole purpose of trying to help him get better at all? (worried Mom)

I'd love some feedback, links to older posts & or reading that might help me navigate the switch.
    (Sorry the spreadsheet isn't up to date! Google Docs seems to take FOREVER to update these days!)

Thanks for reading!
    Alexa & Pootch

2. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

I'm sure others will be along but at first glance I'd say your vet is being WAY too aggressive with 2 units and no home testing. That's just wrong. :shock:

My mom's vet said the same thing - give 2 units of Lantus for 3 weeks, don't test, and bring him back for a curve. Her cat Francis hypo'd right away and she was up all night feeding him and freaking out. He only needed .5 units and he was off insulin completely by the time the 3 weeks was up. If mom had followed vets orders her cat would have been in BIG trouble.

You must test your cat, just like a human diabetic would. You should never give insulin blind, it's just too dangerous. nailbite_smile

I'm sure you'll get some dosing help soon. Sorry if this sounded harsh; I'm only concerned about the well being of your cat!

3. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi I'm no expert, but what caught my eye was the recommendation to start right out at 2 units. My vet did that also, and well -we had problems from the get go, and a hypo incident within a week.

I hope this will bump you up in que so those i the know can help you.

Good luck!

4. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

hi, guys! welcome to lantus.

bumping you up also, as i have no input...but there are a lot of folks here who can pitch in...

celi & binks

5. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Another bump... Willie and I have been on this FD adventure for about 6 weeks now, and I can't tell you what you should do, but based on everyone's experiences I've read here, I would be extremely leery of doing what your vet is telling you to do. I agree with the others... 2.0 sounds way too aggressive, especially without home testing.

And, for what it's worth, i've been reading over the tight regulation stuff recently as we are in the process of changing vets. Even for cats who never go OTJ, TR can be very beneficial by 1) drastically reducing the amount of insulin the cat needs to stay in an acceptable range of numbers, and 2) can help keep a cat in lower, safer, healthier numbers than other methods allow, which is much better for your kitty and his/her organs in the long run.

Just my two cents... hope someone is along to give you some more concrete advice soon! Good luck, and look forward to reading about you and Pooch's lantus adventures real soon! :)

6. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Please read the Stickys at the top of the page--Chocked full of info.--As you are changing insulins, and basically know a lot,
    Please know that lantus is a very gentle insulin and the curves are not a harsh as other insulins--I have no experience with caninsulin, but Moonie has been on lantus for almost 3 yrs. without a hypo.
    Lantus dosing is based on the weight of the cat.
    Using a weight based formula for determining a starting dose of Lantus or Levemir:

the formula is 0.25 unit per kg of the cat's ideal weight
    if kitty is underweight, the formula frequently used is 0.25 unit per kg of kitty's actual weight
    if the cat was previously on another insulin, the starting dose should be increased or decreased by taking prior data into consideration
    Online Calculator for Converting Pounds to Kilograms
    This is in the tight regulation sticky--
    Also please read the sticky that says New to the Group--Also will help

We have dosing helpers that will stop by & advise you when you are ready--We are a family here & all help each other--Someone is here 24/7--
    Welcome to Lantus land-!!

7. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

hi there

highly recommend you read up on the information sticky's (with star icons) above.
    If you are interested to use the protocol followed here, you may want to pass that info along to your vet.
    I'm concerned about her instructions for your kitty, especially the part of shooting blindly and not adjusting doses accordingly.

Please read the info sticky's, really handy info and lots to learn about Lantus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.