? Starting off with a heart-felt 'Thank you!' ...but...HELP!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Joanne&TinySole, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joanne&TinySole

Joanne&TinySole Well-Known Member

New...new to the group, new to the experience of having a diabetic cat, new to the whole shabang! So, I'm going to start off with a sincere 'thank you' and an apology for having questions and not knowing where to find answers, because...well...it's overwhelming!

First off, I'm about to fill out the spreadsheet with all of my cat's (Tiny Sole) numbers since we started this adventure in May. I should have it done in a couple of days. It can be accessed/followed at this link:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OuWdZWV_Lx9unvwbZruMloIkiqi4J_ZwUAcbpi1Wjes/edit?usp=sharing

Secondly, HELP!!!!!! What the heck!! Tiny is on Lantus. We started with 1 unit/12 hours, then went up to 1.5 units/12 hours, then back to 1 unit/12 hours...sometimes her glucose is in the 70s other times in the high 300s! Can someone tell me if this is normal? The only thing I get from my vet when I call in Curves, or call in Tiny's glucose is that I'm doing fine.

Should I be testing her twice/day each time before giving Lantus, or should I just test her when doing Curves and not be concerned with the up/down glucose levels (what I don't know may kill me AND her!)?

I do not want her to deal with a hypoglycemic episode; I do not want to do anything to risk her life or health. I would appreciate it if someone can let me know if all of this is normal or I should be concerned.

We are a four-cat household, Tiny being one of the four. My eldest cat needs to lose weight, and she is an incredibly fussy eater! We have transitioned to canned/moist pouch food mostly, BUT are free-feeding them dry kibble made by Young Again Zero Mature: https://www.youngagainpetfood.com/zero-mature-health.html Any comments on that?

I hate to present as needy, but I do need some guidance and reassurance. I'll take it in the form of comments, or links to read, or...whatever you recommend. I only want to do my best to take the best care of my sweet cat.

Thank you, in advance for your patience with me.
    JMBartone (Joanne)

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Joanne and Tiny Sole. First, you certainly don't have to apologize for feeling a bit overwhelmed and for not knowing everything you need to know. You are at the beginning of your adventure and can't be expected to have all the answers, none of us did!
    Yes, always test before giving an injection, never shoot blind!

You have set up the spreadsheet, bravo!. Now create your signature. This is information about Tiny that will display with each of your posts, check out Idjit's signature at the bottom of my response. Here's a link that tells you how to do this: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/
    I will tell you that this forum you are in right now is like the welcome mat on the front porch and not every member gets a chance to look in frequently. I would like you to take your questions about dosing etc to the Lantus forum so that the members who also use Lantus, and some who have years of experience can read and respond. These people are wonderful and you can trust them. Here is a link to the Lantus forum: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-basaglar-glargine-and-levemir-detemir.9/
    If there are general health questions you can also post in the Main Forum. Take a look around from the Forum menu and see what is available.
    One thing I did when I first joined the board, was I read everything I could. I didn't understand it all at first, but slowly with the support and advice of the members, things started to make sense. There are "stickies" at the top of the Lantus forum, read them, as many times as it takes, for as long as it takes. There is other information in the Feline Health FAQs forum too. I No one expects you to be able to absorb everything all at once. But when you have the time, read everything you can. (If you like, just copy and paste your message here and paste it in your new thread in the Lantus forum) The sooner you get your thread going in the Lantus forum, the quicker you are going to get the help you need. You are doing the very best thing to help very cute Tiny Sole.

3. Joanne&TinySole

Idjit's mom!!!!!!!!!! HELLO! And THANK YOU for the reassuring words. WHEW! I can't tell you what a relief it was just to have you respond!
    I will follow your suggestions and read, read, READ!
    I've put Tiny Sole's spreadsheet on my signature, but I need to enter values on it, so right now it is blank. Here's the link:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...uMloIkiqi4J_ZwUAcbpi1Wjes/edit#gid=1182885903

Which leads me to my next question regarding the spreadsheet...
    Before I start entering values on it...at the top in the light blue row, the +1, +2, +3, etc. are the times of testing or dosing, or both?
    So, it says DATE, then AMPS, then +1 through PMPS, etc., in that row.
    Are there further instructions on the spreadsheet I can read?

Last question...is this a US thread or a European thread?
    I only want to understand the information fully and if I need to adjust my brain accordingly! :cat:

Again, thank you so much for responding and for the information - as you can probably tell, I'm so grateful!
    I will do all I can to research.

Be well, Joanne (JMBartone)

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Joanne, take a deep breath, my dear. You are doing very well. Yes, there is information on understanding the spreadsheet: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/
    This forum is based in US, but we have members from all over the world. The spreadsheet can be made to reflect US or World numbers. Basically, AMPS means the test that you do before the morning shot, at whatever time you usually do this. Lantus is given every 12 hours, so the PMPS would be the test taken before the evening shot 12 hours later. Then the +1 would be one hour after the AMPS or PMPS and so on.
    Fix your signature to reflect diagnosis date, that you use Lantus, the dosage amount, the type of meter used, the type of food given, any other medications or medical conditions she might have. It's also helpful to include a general geographic location either in the profile or signature, time zones make a difference with responses. Look at other members' signatures and profiles (just click on the avatar/picture) to get an idea of what you can include.
    If you have any problems with the spreadsheet post in the Feline Health (Main Forum), there are members who can help you.

5. Joanne&TinySole

Thanks again! ...breathing now... ;)

6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Where in PA are you? I'm in Hamlim/Archbald area.

7. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

8. Joanne&TinySole

Yes, in Pittsburgh PA! Trying to digest as much info as possible on this forum! :cat:

9. Joanne&TinySole

...and we are called "Pittsburghers" or, 'Burghers for short! :joyful:

10. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Ha, too funny! That certainly wouldn't have been my guess but I like it!

Joanne&TinySole likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.