Starting to Have Accidents Outside Box

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jess Ryans, Apr 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jess Ryans

Jess Ryans New Member

Hi, Jess here. Jocelyn, my 7 yr old kitty has begun having accidents outside her litter box. She tries to squat but usually misses unless im actively standing there and monitoring. once she's done she leaves the bathroom, but then i sometimes still find remnants of poo on our carpets, etc. her stool has also been kind of soft and almost grey-ish the past couple days, and we haven't done anything as far as change her diet. im wondering what to do in this situation, should i be heavily concerned??? any advice is welcome, thanks!

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Jess, it would be very helpful if you would create a signature to that kitty's information is available when you post. I tried to go back through you previous posts to gather information and put together a history, but if you would do the signature it would be so much faster to just read through and know pertinent info.
    Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

Then setting up the spreadsheet so that we can see what kind of BG numbers you are getting with the insulin doses is going to also help. The spreadsheet is linked to the signature and everything is right there when you post.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

Many cats pee outside the box before diagnosis, and before blood glucose regulation, so we need to see what's happening there. Just in the interim, you could place potty pads around the box to catch the pee and hopefully to also catch any poo she might be tracking away from the box or bathroom area.

Cats are pretty fastidious and when something different happens, it's always a good idea to try to find out why.

3. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

Ever since my Alice's DKA when she came back home a week ago, Alice has been too weak to always make the box when she pees. Sometimes it goes straight back. It makes it easy to get a urine sample at least.

Alice also had issues with poop color and consistency. I have a post somewhere... I never figured out the exact reason but I eliminated some foods I thought might be culprits. Have you seen a fecal score chart before? That helped me better label what I was seeing on the consistency thing. The brown color in poop is from bile released from the gallbladder. The liver, pancreas, and gallbladder all play roles in this.

I agree with @Idjit's mom that box behavioral changes can indicate issues. Possible infection such as UTI? How is Jocelyn's muscle tone around the hind area?

I am not as experienced as many other members so can't give you solid advice, but your Jocelyn definitely isn't the only cat doing these things!

Idjit's mom likes this.
  4. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.