Still around!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Frank's Mom, Jun 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Ok, so I just suck at keeping up with a spreadsheet, lol. Gotta get it updated! But Frank is really leveling out, and his appetite has gone down as well. He's eating a normal amount of food, his litter box doesn't have those big clumps anymore, he's super friendly, and has been playing so much more. I even caught him chasing his tail 2 nights in a row like a wild man. I feel so much more in control of things, and am so happy he's doing good! (I've even been shooting 4U on 200-250 BGs.) It doesn't look like remission is in site but we're definitely getting this diabetes under control!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    srk4cats and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  2. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Oh, and so many of you were key to getting me into this comfort zone. The members on this board are so amazing!!!!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  3. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Ha...and now that I'm plugging in numbers on the SS I see its increase time. Oops, guess I do need that SS to help me after all!

4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Welcome back! It looks like you're getting quite a bit of bouncing. Any chance you can get a curve sometime in the near future? Or any mid-cycle tests? There have been a couple of dose changes without getting clear data on their impact and I'm wondering what's causing the bouncing since a couple of doses back his pre-shots were relatively consistent. Some kitties just go through occasional "rainbow" phases, but it's also possible he's hitting some lows.

5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hey Sarah!!! Glad to "see" you again!

6. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

OMG I suck at this. Haha. I'm volunteering with 2 rescues, back at the gym 5 days a week, living the summer life, and just not online much anymore! That said, I'm keeping a paper spreadsheet for Frank....I'm much better at updating it when it hangs on the fridge. Frank is under 200BG now, preshots, about 40% of the time. He's never over 400 anymore. And the majority of the under 200 he's at 110-140. I'm varying dosing based on preshot numbers, but generally we're around 2.5U when he gets shots. (Anything under 180 gets very minimal insulin.) I know we aren't at a remission point yet, but I have my fingers crossed.
    Hope all your kitties, and you, are doing well! I'm going to browse the board now and say some "hellos", but thought I'd throw out a quick generalized update!

7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Glad to see your update, Sarah! Living the summer life sounds delightful...we're all going to come live it with you! :smuggrin:

Frank's Mom likes this.
  8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

:):p:D:cool::smuggrin:!! So true!

Frank's Mom likes this.
  9. Kris & Teasel

I'm glad Frank is doing well. :)

Frank's Mom likes this.
  10. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

My summer life does not include AC...so that usually chases most people away. I spend lots of time outside, in the pool, in the shade, and just generally sucking up all the nice weather I can get. I hate winter, and so try to do as much as possible during the summer (still working full time) to get me through depressing winters.
    Had 132BG this morning, so only gave .5U.
    Wish it was Friday!

11. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Glad you both are well! If you have a rainy day try to fill in his SS for us, we might be able to see something :D;)

Frank's Mom likes this.
  12. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Frank has a semi-emergent vet appointment today. I'm suspecting pancreatits or a blockage, but hoping that he just isn't feeling good for some easy reason. (It's never easy in diabetic cats, though, is it?)

His BG has been under 200 all weekend, and he only got insulin on Saturday morning when it was high enough for me to comfortably shoot. Noticed yesterday he hadn't been eating (but sometimes he boycotts one flavor of Friskies or another) so I switched to a different flavor, but had no luck with it. He threw up this morning, some undigested Young Again and a bit of Friskies pate. No shot since I wouldn't be home to monitor. His energy level is low, but he's not in hiding like he was with the DKA. He's hanging around, but not being particularly loving. He's still urinating, but I don't think he's pooped in about a day and a half. Just not himself, and that worries me. Ugh.

Anyhow, I'm hoping for a vet visit that's under $400. So far this year, he's at around $1000 for vet visits/diabetic supplies. If you could all keep your fingers crossed for a smooth visit today, I'd appreciate it. Hoping I'm just being overly cautious, but I don't think that's really the case.

(Oh, and side note...I weighted Frank on Saturday morning and he's up to 13 pounds, so I know that we need to start watching his weight that he doesn't gain too much.)

13. Kris & Teasel

Best of luck at the vet appointment. Is he prone to constipation?

Frank's Mom likes this.
  14. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Poor Frank! Keep us posted on what you find out, and fingers crossed for something easy (and cheap!).

Frank's Mom likes this.
  15. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

He's never been constipated before, that I've noticed. Last week I finally started adding the YA 0 mature to his diet, so I sort of wonder if that's not to blame in some way. He's still getting his Friskie's pate, but I added the YA for grazing throughout the day.
    Guess we'll see what the vet says! Maybe it's just a constipation thing and will be easily fixed!

16. Yong & Maury GA

*paws crossed* for Frank! :cat:

17. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

So...no fever, BG elevated (duh), high bilirubin levels (maybe gallbladder issue), low potassium (now on a supplement), dehyrated (got fluids)...um, I think that's about all today's blood panel told us. He was in hiding before going to the vet, so I had to pick him up and crate him, and of course he wasn't really walking around at the vet, but when I got him home I noticed some major back leg weakness. Nueropathy? Definitely something to discuss when I call back in the AM. In the meantime, insulin starts back up tonight and I'm just hoping to see an improvement tomorrow morning!

18. Yong & Maury GA

Could be diabetic neuropathy but I feel like I read somewhere here about potassium having an effect on that too....:bookworm::bookworm::bookworm:. If you enter his lab results in your SS or post a picture of them (you can use another paper to cover any personal info you don't want to share ;)) I can tag someone to look at them :)

Frank's Mom likes this.
  19. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Oh, I didn't even get the results! I'll ask for them tomorrow!

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  20. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

Hi @Frank's Mom wondering how your kitty is doing? We have an vet appt tomorrow morning and my main concern right now is his constipation. This will also be his first visit back to vet since his diagnosis in early April. Did the vet have insight about your kitty's constipation ? BTW - love Frank's selfie pict :cat:

21. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hey @Susan G & Jimmy G sorry to have to tell you but Frank crossed the Rainbow Bridge (not related to constipation, looked like leukemia). The post is below this one.

As for constipation for your kitty, have you tried pumpkin?

22. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about Frank. :bighug:. I had in the past and may need to again. I'd like to find out what is the cause for the constipation. Hoping I can guess some answers tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.