Still experiencing bouncing

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by CassAndGordy(GA), Oct 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/bg-spiking.166625/

I am still getting bouncing with Gordy's. I definitely think some of the PMPS readings could be food-influenced.

My Vet wanted me to up to 3U (last week), but I think I will do 2.5U instead.

Any more advise?

(I can't really change his dose until Sunday, that's when I am home all day this week.)

Oksana likes this.
  2. Alexi

Alexi Member

What is your feeding regime? He is not bouncing, in fact he is getting a nice drop and numbers are holding steady which is great. The next step is to shift that curve downwards to get blue numbers mid cycle. A 1 unit increase is a big increase on those numbers. You could increase to 2.5 or even be cautious and give 2.25 if you can eyeball the dose. What you are looking for is a gradual drop in those numbers, trying to force it down with too large an increase is likely to provoke bouncing, better to take it slow and steady.

Griffin's Mom and Oksana like this.
  3. CassAndGordy(GA)

Its still a work in progress, since I had to take him off the dry food. Typically, I've been giving him 1/2 a can of FF, with a 1/8 cup (if that) of dry Evo pre-shot. And then I was giving him about the equivalent of 1/2 can of Wellness (can=small ones). He is a big boy (He is about 18lbs... but he is a large cat, only a little fat) and is used to eating a lot. Then I've been leaving frozen portions of the Wellness to melt for an afternoon snack.

Last night and tonight, I changed up the routine slightly. I put the 1/2 can down, let him eat and then gave him the other half afterwards. He seemed pretty content without the dry. I left him the frozen snack for later (that hopefully he eats and not my Civvie).

I constantly worry he isn't getting enough to eat. :(

This makes me feel better. Shows I still don't even know what I'm doing. Yeah, I think I will try increasing it to 2.5U and see what occurs. I work alllllll day today and tomorrow and most of my Saturday, so I'll probably do the increase on Sunday, since I'll be around more.

Thanks!

Oksana likes this.
  4. Alexi

Alexi Member

One way of checking he gets enough to eat is to weigh him every week. Unregulated cats tend to need more calories as they can't use the food efficiently. I use my kitchen scales but you can use bathroom scales (with or without you holding the cat) or even invest in baby scales. Whatever works for you.

BJM likes this.
  5. CassAndGordy(GA)

Gordy's numbers are better today and yesterday? I don't think I've changed up the routine too much. (I keep having to do the PM shot at +11 and not at the full +12, but it holds right now... which is good?)

I am trying to not be oddly optimistic LOL.

I'll be around the house a little more tonight, tomorrow and Sunday, so I guess I'll get a clearer picture then.

6. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi there ~ you are doing a great job gathering data. I was reading over your comments and about the lower number at +8, there wasn't a number in that cell. But, as far as them going lower later, sometimes it happens due to absorption rates being different and the kitties change up their nadirs just to confuse us beans. LOL

7. CassAndGordy(GA)

Sorry in my delay! Ughhh, its been a busy couple days for me... which means super lazy days for the kitties lol.

The +8 note was referencing the +8.5 after AM shot that day. I usually do the normal (feed before shot) and then give some more after. That day, I also left some frozen wet food for both cats, but I think Rex ate Gordy's.... she is a brat.

I think its time to go up to 2.5. I'm just being super paranoid. But we'll start tomorrow. His numbers this evening look good thus far, of course, after his AM furshot. (grrrr to me... of course that happens when I wanted to get good +2, +4 and +6!)

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I definitely think you should be cautious about upping the dose. I really think 3 u is to much since he is hitting the 150's during the mud cycle. Try 2.25 or 2.5 but only if you can monitor.

I think at this point skip the dry if he's ok with not having it. Such a big boy.... I have an 18 lb cat too.... I'd give a full can after testing but before the shot (no dry), half a can mid day snack, another full can PMPS, and another half can late night snack. See if that's satisfying to him and check that his weight is stable.

9. Alexi

Alexi Member

You could try removing the dry without changing the dose and see what he does for the next few days as that is likely to drop his numbers. On your SS can you put FS when you got the furshot as we can then ignore that cycle when reviewing his numbers.

10. CassAndGordy(GA)

What size cans are you using? He gets the equivalent of a can around the shot, a half can of snack, then another can and another snack. And that's with the small amount of dry he gets. He could do without, but he cries without it? He is a strange cat.

11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

he might need more food right now because he's not regulated yet.

12. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

In some cats, Vetsulin may wear off around +10. When you have a chance, check a few times to see when it wears off for him by testing at +9, +10,+11. This will help clarify if duration is an issue for him.

13. Alexi

Alexi Member

Your cat is twice the weight of mine and I feed about 40 cal a day more than the recommended, and she is well regulated, according to calculations she needs 190 cal per day and gets around 230 to maintain her weight. So if he is unregulated and needs to gain you may well need to feed him a little more than the calculators say.

Oksana likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.