Still Need Prayers For Stryper, Please.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TrixtersMommy, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrixtersMommy

TrixtersMommy Member

Stryper is still not feeling well. I found out they have tapeworm tabs at the feed store, but with her being the way she is, I don't know how I'd pill her. She is still lethargic. I can't find wormer paste here anywhere. It must be something more that's going on as she is still sore. I know, you all are probably thinking what a horrible catmom I am that I haven't been able to take her to the vet, but I am stuck in a rut and I don't have a way to do it. She isn't your average kitty. I did not choose to take in all of these cats, they chose me when they were left to starve and fend for themselves. I feel so guilty. I keep trying to figure out what is going on with her but she doesn't let me check her thoroughly. I am so confused and frustrated and heartbroken for her. I don't understand. She had taken positive steps the other night and I thought she was getting better, but she hasn't. Please send prayers for her. Thanks.

~ Bobbi ~

Attached Files:

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Awww Bobbi, dont blame yourself. You can only do what you can do. Where would she be without you? I'm wondering if you could call Paula and ask her advice? I wish there was more I could do than prayers.

Hang in there, you're doing the best with what you have. Bless you for helping all the kitties.

Jeanne

3. TrixtersMommy

TrixtersMommy Member

Thank you so much, Jeanne. Your prayers and kind words mean a lot to me. *HUGS* I can't help but blame myself when i am the one who's supposed to take care of her. This is breaking my heart.

4. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Bobbi, strongly doubt the problem is worm related. If she did get into a fight, she may be forming an abcess and those can be hard to see on the sides/abdomen area unless you can feel the swelling. She also may have pulled something. Such a pretty girl....sending prayers that she will be okay and that nothing major is wrong.

[​IMG]

5. TrixtersMommy

TrixtersMommy Member

Thank you so much, Hope. I really appreciate your prayers. I am so worried. I know she did have a spat with her sister in the middle of the night right before she started acting like this because I heard her cry. It happens kind of frequently so at first i didn't put two and two together. I will continue to keep my eyes open for any swelling, she won't let me touch her back legs or tummy at all. I hope this is something that will heal on it's own. Thank you for your prayers.

6. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Crossing all paws for Stryper ((((((((((((((BOBBI)))))))))))))))

7. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

no advise but many many prayers your way

8. TrixtersMommy

TrixtersMommy Member

Thank you guys so much. *HUGS*

9. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

How is Styper doing tonight?

NM

10. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

Prayers for you, and for Stryper.
    Dana

11. TrixtersMommy

TrixtersMommy Member

Thank you for asking. Stryper seems a little better today. She has slurped down quite a bit of watery Friskies Turkey n Giblets twice today, pooped, and also peed twice. She also walked around the room a bit, sniffing around, which is way more than she's done in the last 5 days or so. She also seems somewhat more alert. I wish I could find some liquid or paste wormer that kills tapes. My friend Paula who has been in rescue for a long time was saying that it sounds like the tapeworms caused anemia and weakness. She has let me look her over a little better than before and I still find no wounds or swelling anywhere, but she growls when I touch her tummy, which she doesn't like in the first place, but I can tell its sensitive.

Thanks for the responses, and please keep the prayers coming. They are helping!

Love,
    ~ Bobbi ~

12. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

I found some info that lists types of wormers:

http://www.vetinfo.com/cat-wormer-types.html

It looks like they do make some pastes and liquids. Maybe try Google searching on those brand names and see if something comes up? Maybe there is somewhere online with quick shipping if they aren't at a local store? Also maybe you could call around to vets, perhaps one carries it?

Also I wonder if the tabs could be dissolved in water and then given as a liquid, maybe with a little baby food to help with the taste? I don't know if that would affect the effectiveness of the med though - I think some meds are fine that way and others aren't - is there a vet you can call to ask for advice on stuff like that, without having to go in?

Also did your friend have suggestions for a supplement to help if it is anemia? I know I had a kitty on some liquid vitamins for a while from the vets.

Sorry if you've already tried these ideas, just trying to brainstorm to help. :)

Sending prayers your way! Hope she continues to improve! :)

13. jt and trouble (GA)

Bobbi I've tried calling pet stores in my area and they all seem to only carry the pill form of what you need. I didnt bother asking the price because you said you needed the paste of liquid. I called a compounding pharmacy to ask if the pills could be crushed and water added. The person I talked to said she didnt think that would be a very good idea. But that may be because "they" wanted to make money off me. I cxould be wrong it's just the feeling I got talking to her.

Have you tried the supply closet? Wish I could come up with something to help. You know I would if I could...

Jeanne

14. TrixtersMommy

TrixtersMommy Member

Thanks, Jeanne. *HUGS* The reason why it's not a good idea to crush the pills is because the taste is horrid. I have tried that in the past with Drontal, mixing it into canned food juice and syringing it... the cats gag, foam, etc. I'm sure that's why the lady told you it's not a good idea.

Fortunately, although I still need to figure out a way to treat the tapeworms, Stryper is doing so much better! yesterday she got up to eat on her own several times, drank/slurped up LOTS of watery canned food, pottied, explored a bit, and her eyes are looking brighter and her nose is finally wet again! This morning she has moved around a lot, too. :mrgreen:

Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers, though. *HUGS n LOVE*

~ Bobbi ~

15. jt and trouble (GA)

i dont know if i've already asked but have you checked the supply closet? Just a thought.

16. TrixtersMommy

TrixtersMommy Member

Thanks for the suggestions, Joanna. Unfortunately none of the vets here carry anything but the injectable tapeworm treatment from what I was told when I called. The only site I saw that had anything of the sort was in Austrailia, so it's expensive and the shipping would take a long time.

Jeanne, i did not check the supply closet. I will now.

*hugs!*

~ Bobbi ~

17. TrixtersMommy

TrixtersMommy Member

Here is how Stryper looks today! She keeps wanting to go outside. No0o0o way!! Not yet!

Attached Files:

18. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Peggy and Mickey (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers!

19. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Paste products

ValuCat allwormer paste

This vendor is in AU, but sells to US for $5 shipping, taking 5-10 business days. Pets Megastore. Has a US toll free number.

This vendor has a US pharmacy address and a US toll free number. Can't find anything on the site about shipping or timing. Pet Shed.

An Ebay vendor in the US. A buy it now item shipping from the US.

20. LindaLee & Napoleon

LindaLee & Napoleon Member

Stryper is so beautiful! I'm sending prayers that she'll heal on her own.

(((((((Bobbi)))))))

21. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

I have a cat that had tape worms last year and he never showed any pain particularly to touch but he was just wasting away in front of our eyes.
    To my knowledge there is nothing for tapes that you can get without the vet but the pills were Cheap! They were also like a mini miracle. My cat was basically at deaths door by the time we diagnosed him and within 12 hours of the pill I knew he was going to live.

Why not just call your vet and ask about pills for Tapeworm? Or have you tried that? I know for a fact my cat would have died without the medication, but I had to do most of the detective work and insist on the treatment. One of my chihuahuas and tape worm and we treated him and I asked the vet if that could be it with the cat and he was just sure it wasn't. I insisted we treat him for it anyway and that is what it was.
    In fact I ended up treating 4 dogs and a cat at that time and the pills were just a couple of bucks each if I remember right. They take one pill and then a few days later they take a followup pill.

By the way is Stryper named after the old Christian Rock band?

22. dian and wheezer

23. dian and wheezer

bump in case you did not see yet

24. TrixtersMommy

TrixtersMommy Member

Thanks, Dian. A wonderful FDMB angel sent me some Valucat All Wormer Paste. I got it today and gave Stryper a dose. She HATED it. She did the horrible slobber/lipsmacking/foaming deal, but I *think* she swallowed enough of it. At least I hope she did! lol Now i will keep watch for any more tapeworm segments. She is still doing wonderful! Thank you all for all of your suggestions, prayers and help. I appreciate you guys more than you could ever know!! *HUGS* Love you all!

Attached is a picture of the girls today. Stryper is on the right side. :)

Love,
    ~ Bobbi and the crew ~

Attached Files:

25. TrixtersMommy

TrixtersMommy Member

Harley's Mom, Thanks for the response. I am so glad you insisted on treatment! I did call around the different vets here and was told the only option they had was to bring her in for a shot. One of the offices said the pills only work for a short time, so it wasn't a solution. They didn't act willing to help me even when I explained the situation. I am so thankful that all is well now!

As for her name, I actually didn't even know about the band until a year or more after I named her, when a friend asked me if she was named after them! lol I named her that because as kittens, she and her sister were hard to tell apart. They were feral babies because their mom found me when she was pregnant and starving. The only way to tell the two calico girls apart was the difference in the colors on their faces. Stryper has these bright orange cheeks with dark stripes, so I named her Stryper. :D

Thanks again for your reply. <3

26. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

I Hope your bab y is feeling better. I didn't see an update.

Sending hugs and healing prayers.

27. jt and trouble (GA)

I talked to Bobbi yesterday and Stryper is doing much better. Thanks for asking. :smile:

28. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Peggy and Mickey (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. Feel better vibes coming too.

29. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Sending Hugs and Prayers to Bobbi and Stryper!

30. HollyandSpader(GA)

HollyandSpader(GA) Well-Known Member

Continued good thoughts.......

31. Terri & Tananda

Terri & Tananda Member

Good thoughts are still coming your way.

As for pilling a cat, I've found the easiest way it to crush it and add it to a small amount of wet food. If they won't eat that, put it into a 20ml oral syringe, and gently squirt it into their mouth. My cat makes some pretty funny noises, but it works every time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.