Still ravenous, quick question

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Beenie (GA), Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Just curious if anyone else's kitties have done this. Beenie has occasionally, and just did now, take a small toy and appear to try and eat it?!? She shoves it in her mouth and if you try and take it she growls. I know its the diabetes talking but do I need to worry that she may actually try and swallow a random toy? :nailbiting:
    She already ate dinner. Tested her BG prior to eating and I'm giving shot now.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

It could be a sort of misplaced food aggression. Some diabetic cats are so ravenous all the time that their behaviour can be a problem. If she's not overweight you might consider increasing her daily food ration.

3. Beenie (GA)

Hmm, I've been told to give her more food if she's looking for it. Tonight was odd because she literally just ate than went to town on a little rainbow mouse. She's not overweight so I will keep an eye on this and give her a little more food if she acts this way.

Thanks Kris & Teasel :)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Another thought: some people have mentioned that their kitty can be grumpy and irritable if their BG is high and they don't feel well.

Another thing: I'd raise her dose to 4.6 u tomorrow AM because there hasn't been much change at 4.4 u. Are you checking her urine for ketones? It's important when she's running this high.

5. Beenie (GA)

I was out most of today so no ketone test. I'm armed with strips so I'll stalk her next time she goes. I will raise it tomorrow, I agree she's been high for some time now. My only issue is the syringes I have don't have a marker for 4.6. I would have to eyeball it between the 11 and 12 lines. Is that what most do, eyeball it? I had a real hard time with getting the "right" U-100 syringes. I went to use the first box I got and the length of the needle was way too short..6mm. So I went to the pharmacy to try and get a U-1oo with a 1/2" needle which is what I was used to with the U-40 syringes. They told me I had to get another script to change the type of needle! So then I went back to vet and got another script and I used the first one yesterday from this new box and its works except there is no 11.5 line.

6. Kris & Teasel

U100 syringes usually have a 30 unit cpaacity. If your syringes have half unit marks, there a should be an 11.5 mark. Are you saying these U100 syringes don't have half unit marks on them?

7. Beenie (GA)

Correct, the only U100 syringe that pharmacy had with 1/2" needle was 30 gauge 50 unit capacity. Should I order the 30 unit capacity? Is there a particular brand? I was given BD. No half unit marker :-(
    U100 syringe 50unit capacity.JPG

Pat & Phil likes this.
  8. Kris & Teasel

Thirty unit capacity is better because the marks will be further apart. Half unit marks are essential if you want to get the advantage of lots of dose fractions by using U100s. Many people on here order from www.adwdiabetes.com. I'm in Canada and I buy my syringes from my vet.

9. Beenie (GA)

Third time's a charm they say :). I'll order the 30 unit capacity. Darn I should've asked this when I was asking for the script. Do you think I can get away with increasing Beenie up to 4.8 tomorrow which is marker 12 on my syringe until I can get the correct syringe and then make smaller increases.? My gut says she would be fine. What do you think?

10. Beenie (GA)

Just sent an email to my vet with a pic of what I want. Took me a few to locate this online. The manufacturer's website wasn't all that helpful. I'll hopefully have these over the weekend or by Monday the latest I would think.
    U100 syringe half unit marks.PNG

Pat & Phil likes this.
  11. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Just a note, those are not half in length needles. 1/2 inch is 12.7mm. Walmart pharmacy's do carry U-100 syringes with half unit markings, unfortunately, we tend to find the staff are composed of dim bulbs :facepalm:. I plan on taking this picture with me but ask if they'll lift the lid to make sure they have half unit markings:
    upload_2017-6-21_19-52-41.png
    Also, these are the last ones I ordered online. They do cost more than the ReliOn's but less frustration ;)
    https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/1289/monoject-ultra-comfort-insulin-syringes

12. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Going back to the food question, is FF the only food you're feeding him? How much does he weigh, and how much should he weigh? How many cans does he get/day? Yong is pretty good at calculating calories needed, and then you can adjust from there to accommodate his lower absorption right now, natural activity level, etc.

(@Yong, like how I ask the questions and then volunteer you to do all the work? ;):D:bighug:)

13. Kris & Teasel

I agree that you can try 4.8 u tomorrow. It's only around a 9% increase.

14. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

:smuggrin::joyful::smuggrin::joyful:

15. Yong & Maury GA

No problem! Just leave the ideal weight here and I'll post when I get back :)

16. Beenie (GA)

:joyful: She currently weighs 8lbs. At most she should be 9. At one point , pre Diabetes diagnosis, she weighed 13lbs.!!
    She is currently feed the following: 1 can = 3 ounce
    12:00am 1/2can FF classic
    3:00am 1/2 can FF classic
    12:00pm 1/2 can FF classic
    4:00 up to 6:00 pm 1 can FF classic

Thanks Yong :bighug:

17. Beenie (GA)

Agreed, I will do so. Thank you!!

18. Yong & Maury GA

For a 9lb kitty you want to aim for about 173 calories per day :). It's an average of 2 formulas I have found.

19. Beenie (GA)

Oh this is perfect. This is the same brand I have for the U40 syringes so I just shot an email to my vet. Either he can order or write a new script and I'll order on line. Who knew finding the right syringe would be such a pain.

Thanks for info:)

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.