Stinkaroo and I are New to the Group

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mamahag, Apr 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mamahag

Mamahag New Member

My cat stinkaroo was just diagnosed 5 weeks ago with diabetes . His blood sugars to start were 29.9 (Canadian measure ) he is getting 1 unit of Lantus twice a day . (Using a lantus pen with 8mmneedles ) week ago took him to the vet for a glucose curve and it didn’t change from 26.5 throughout the day so the vet said to do another curve at home in 10days . He did not want to increase his insulin because of his weight (13.5lbs ) . I’m doing ransom checks at home and it hasn’t gone below 25.5. I don’t understand why the vet doesn’t want to increase dose to 2 to try . Very worried about Stinkaroo and am thinking of increasing his dose to two if the glucose curve doesn’t show improvement . I also cannot get my cat to eat canned food have tried every brand and flavour just about . He is on a high protein dry food . Any suggestions on how to get him to eat wet food

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello from Ontario. It is fantastic that you are home testing. The only way to keep your cat safe.

Dose increases are generally done by 0.25 units so that the optimum dose for the cat is not skipped over. A jump from 1 unit to 2 units is doubling the dose.

Come on over to the Main Health Forum where there will be lots of eyes to answer your questions.

In the meantime, here are stickies regarding Lantus.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...the-basics-new-to-the-group-start-here.18139/

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome. Head to the lantus group and read the protocols about dosing at the top.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.