Stomatitis in cats

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shiloh & Rhonda (GA), Jan 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

Not sure I spelled it right. Asking for my sister. She has a "feral" that she feeds on a daily basis, along with several other cats from her old house. For several weeks now, he has not wanted to eat. He acts like he wants to eat, but as soon as it something even remotely chunky, he hisses and runs off. She had him to the vet about a month ago, the vet picked a little plaque/tarter off, and Rx'd antibiotics. He started to get better, but even before the course of antibiotics was done, he stopped wanting to eat again. She has been able to fed him baby food some days, from a spoon. One day he ate six jars, but now that's gotten worse as well. She has an appointment with the vet tomorrow for a "dental," but some have told her, she should have all his teeth pulled, which her vet refuses to do. They want to do a baking soda/peroxide paste while he is under and leave it at that. She is just confused and is looking advice. I didn't know where else to look but here.

2. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

If his teeth are indeed bad the only way to fix his problems is to remove them. Just imagine the pain you or anyone would be in if you had a mouth full of bad teeth. Dusty was hesitant to eat although he was starving, turned out he had 6 bad teeth and they were removed with no issues. He's a totally new cat now. If that vet refuses then go another that will do the right thing and remove what teeth need to be removed.

3. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

That is what my sister is planning. I just wanted to hear some other perspectives. Thanks, @Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones likes this.
  4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.