Stopped Eating/pancreatitis-diabetic

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by rrrinphx, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrrinphx

rrrinphx New Member

Adam was diagnosed with Diabetes first, than was checked for pancreatitis- which he had. We went thru all the meds, last dose of Leukeran a couple weeks ago- he was doing great, numbers still high- but his weight went up, eating good, energy good etc. thought he was on his way to recovery- was even seeing lower numbers at times. Well, yesterday he stopped eating- went thru various cans of food- than finally got him to eat chicken I baked for a little bit- so I was able to give his insulin-5units-after two hours from his schedule time- same thing happened this morning- but wouldn't eat chicken- so I feed him with a syringe- so he could have his insulin. Question- does anyone have any ideas on what to do if this happens- or is the syringe the only solution to get him to eat. I also read that original PeptoBismol can be used as a pepcid- is this true, what should I do when he has a flare up which I think is going on..

Attached Files:

2. Sunshine and BA

Sunshine and BA Member

My BA has chronic pancreatitis. Stomach acid, nausea and pain are very common in pancreatic kitties. They often stop eating because of these symptoms. BA gets injectible pepcid to help with nausea and stomach acid. I currently have her on cerenia which is amazing for control of nausea. Do not use PeptoBismol in cats. It is not a substitute for Pepcid. Pepcid is OTC in the US with easy access in department stores/pharmacies. Kaopatacke used to be ok for diahreah before an added ingredient similar to PeptoBismol. It can be difficult to keep them eating with pancreatitis if the nausea is not adequately controlled. Nausea doesn't always produce vomiting, but will make food undesirable. What was he Leukeran prescribed for? Keep syringe feeding if not eating and actively vomiting, but if nausea is not controlled, assisted feeding can result in food adversion, so getting the tummy acid and nausea under control is important.

Sunshine

Sunshine

3. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Pepcid A/C......not Pepcid Complete.

4. rrrinphx

rrrinphx New Member

He was on the leukeran for a month-everyother day- for the pancreatitis, also Marin,B12-everyweek, fluids-everyday for two weeks, famotadine, antibiotic,appetite stimulate- finished all med a couple weeks ago. I will go and get Pepcid AC- how much should I give? Thank you for the replies...

5. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I am curious how you got to 5 units? It looks like at the end of Jan, you were at 3u? I am wondering how you increased?

Beside the nausea (which pepcid really can help. My vet told us 1/4 a 10mg tab and I think you can give that twice a day), pain is often another symptom with pancreatitis and can put them off food. DId your vet discuss pain control at all? I did not see a pain med in the list of meds he was taking. I have buprenex for Pearl and I know many other cats that get attacks use it too. Pearl got over a very bad bout, which caused vomiting and diarreha with pepcid and buprenex alone.

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I never heard of Leukeran for pancreatitis. Leukeran is an oral chemo drug that is used for small-cell intestinal lymphoma and also for IBD. The original PeptoBismol was OK for cats. However, you can't buy the original formula any more. The new formula of PeptoBismol contains salicylates the active ingredient in aspirin.

7. rrrinphx

rrrinphx New Member

Adam landed in the hospital for a few days in Jan, they in creased his units than due to his high numbers and went from Lantis 3units to PZI 5 units. The leukeran was perscribed after the results of the fpli. Ive sent the BG chart to the vet, but haven't heard if changes are to be made. After reading all of your cases Im wondering why he's on so much and if I should go back to lantis. I check before the shot and figure since he's still in the high numbers to stay with 5.

8. rrrinphx

rrrinphx New Member

I was given tramadol for his pain- They were like "do you think he's in pain", but wasted most of them- cause he knew, started mixing with water and gave by syringe- he would foam at the mouth. :smile: will ask for buprenex. What are the patches.

9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The patches are Fentanyl Patches. It is a very potent and last a couple of days. However, it is usually used after othopedic surgeries such as amputations. Yes tramadol does tent to make cats foam-at-the-mouth. One way around that is to put the tramadol in an empty gelcap (usually a nnmber 3).

10. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Buprenex is much easier. It is tasteless and you only need a teeny amount squirted just inside the lips.

11. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Oh. I didn't get from your sheet you were on PZI now. It's still a big amount, whichever insulin you are on. Now that you are testing, you could really start over, whichever insulin you want to use. I like lantus better, as I think it leads to a gentler curve with a longer amount of time in a good range, but many are successful with PZI. Whichever you do, you might post in that insulin group for some more detailed advice.

12. rrrinphx

rrrinphx New Member

Thanks for the advice- I'm going to call for the buprenex tomorrow- sounds much easier. Gave him some pepcid AC, hope I didn't give him too much. He ate a little chicken, hopefully will eat at shot time :smile: Wish me luck! There is hope with this, right!

13. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Just 1/4 of a tablet. As long as it is the regular pepcid a/c should be ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.