Stormy Blue's test results are in

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mary & Stormy Blue, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

With the exception of results noted in red below, all of his tests came back normal.
    Some were in the higher range of normal such as:
    Calcium 10.0, Creatinine 2.0, total protein 8.2, Albumin 3.5, Globulin 4.7, Eosinophils 884, Globulin 4.7, Albumin 3.5, Sodium 154.
    His T4 was a perfectly normal 1.9.

result normal range
    BUN 48 (14-36 mg/dL)
    CHOLESTEROL 323 (75-220 mg/dL) his triglycerides were 32 - low normal
    AMYLASE 1240 (100-1200 mg/dL)
    LYMPHOCYTES 1156 (1200-1800/uL)
    BASOPHILS 0 (2-150/uL)
    GGT 1 (2-10 IU/L)

He did have some white blood cells in his urine and has been started on Clavomox for the next 14 days.
    No protein in the urine and his USG was 1.021. BUN/Creatinine ratio was 24, normal range is 4-33.

Currently feeding low carb, low phos foods, (mostly Evo 95%), and administering 50ml lactated ringers subQ SID.
    Appetite is good, eyes are bright, affectionate, good potty habits and grooms himself frequently.
    He is in pain from his back, however, and his right hind leg is not working properly due to his back issues,
    (it does not support him very well, and sometimes, he falls over if he tries to put too much of his 6.4lb weight on it).
    Started on Cosequin and fish oil last week. Waiting for his RX pain meds to arrive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    ~M

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

There is really nothing remarkable in the out-of spec values. I am surprised to see an lower limit of 2 for Basophils since all the limit I have seen have listed zero. Bun being high is sort of normal with a low car (high protein) diet. I would not be concerned. What was the urine specific gravity? The higher Bun and Creatinine might indicate some kidney degradation. The urine specific gravity would help look at kidney function.

3. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

that USG is a little low. were the tests analyzed at an outside lab or in-house?
    we had an issue with tests done in-house once and the USG was low too. subsequent test showed it was fine.
    we're gunning for a number 1.035 and higher.

4. Mary & Stormy Blue

His USG was 1.021. 6 months ago it was 1.019, so it is a wee bit higher than it was previously.
    I thought that the Basophils number was odd as well, as all my research shows the test range to be 0 and up, but that is the range shown on this ppwk.
    *shrug*

His tests were sent to a lab in Irving to be done. Not done in house.

~M

5. Larry and Kitties

A USG of 1.021 is a little low. I would say based on that the Bun and Cre values he has some renal insufficiency.

6. Mary & Stormy Blue

He was diagnosed 6 months ago with CRD.
    His numbers are actually slightly better now, than they were 6 months ago.
    He is on 50ml LR subQ SID and low phos foods. Any other "tweeks" that I should look at at this time?

Thanks,
    ~M

7. Larry and Kitties

You are already on SubQ and low-phosphorous food so I do not know what else to do.

8. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

You could look at using a phosphorus binder. Also, think about joining a Yahoo CRF group if you haven't already. Here's a search page that lists a few.

This is a post on FDMB's Health links forum about resources.

9. Mary & Stormy Blue

Thanks all. I will talk to Dr. Lott about the need for a phos binder when she sees him again in two weeks.
    She wants to see if his leg is better with the pain meds in his system, (which have STILL not arrived by mail).

~M

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.