Strange observation

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Briere Fur Mom, May 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

Hi there. I hope everyone is having a beautiful day. Kitties be good for your beans! They love you very much.
    I figured I'd ask this question here to get opinions, as it's not L&L specific.

Has anyone had the thought that the insulin you just injected is slowly permeating back through the skin? Strange question and seems highly unlikely due to the anatomy of the skin but....

This has happened on 2 separate occasions. And just a lil background about myself....I worked in the veterinary industry for 10+ yrs. I can hit a vein(draw blood) with my eyes closed. I've given 1000's of injections.
    After giving insulin to my boy, I smell the injection area to ensure a fur shot wasn't administered. I'm VERY neurotic about this. It's obvious when you give a fur shot. I know immediately w/o having to smell the injection area because the insulin stench lofts up. And of course his #s reflect a partial fur shot or fur shot. Well, yesterday AMPS gave insulin. I inspected and smelled post injection, as always, to make sure there was no insulin odor. K, no insulin odor...good to go. Came back 2 hours later to test and I could smell the insulin as I tested. Inspected him after testing and found the insulin stench. What the heck is going on here? We're all human and make mistakes. I'll be the first to admit wrongdoing as I have very little pride:rolleyes: But, I am 100% I got that injection in him yesterday. 2 hours later he reeked of insulin. Is it possible for old cats that have little to no SC fat/elasticity to undergo "reverse permeation" or have the insulin leak out. Makes no sense to me but, something's going on besides a fur shot. TIA:bighug:

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow thats interesting. I never had that experience with Trouble. Sure I could smell the insulin afterwards but I have a sensitives sniffer. That was also NPH insulin. Now hubby is a different story he uses lantus. I can smell that stuff hours after he injects. (sometimes till the next morning)
    Interesting topic. thank you. I will be watching this thread

3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I'm interested in seeing answers on this too! I will say I've had instances where it's obvious I didn't do a fur shot but I could smell it, but what I was doing at times was wiping off an excess drop onto the back of my hand before shooting so I figured that's what I was smelling.

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

The smell of lantus makes me wheeze. Every night at shot time I try to make myself scarce.

Briere Fur Mom likes this.
  5. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Hi Briere FM! I find your past experience very interesting - I didn't remember that about you! Sending much love to Moey, and Ittle too.
    I was going to offer a couple things that I remind myself of sometimes, but this won't likely be new to you. First, inject slowly (even though it's a tiny amount) and second, leave the needle in for a moment before withdrawing. And if you pinch the skin up, make sure you release the pinch before withdrawing the needle.
    Personally, I have never experienced insulin leaking out on me; just the opposite where I'll (infrequently) get a lump under the skin (I take 18u Lantus) that will mess with timing and absorption throughout the day. True, it would be hard to see any lump in typical tiny cat dosing.

How is sweet Moey in general??

6. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

Hanging in there. Refusing to admit he's sick and acting like himself. I admire his determination to survive. He must have used most of his nine lives during his 17 yrs. Good ole' fur pants. He's truly one of a kind:cat:
    Thanks for inquiring about him Jan. Thanks for the advice too:)
    I hope you, the family and furkids are doing well.:bighug:

ETA: I don't think I mentioned my past experience much on the L&L forum or in PM. I was on the job trained so, don't find my experience very useful beyond technical things:p

7. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

On the contrary my friend!! On the job training can be the most valuable at times. I always wondered how you knew so much; I assumed you were a research master, lol:cat::cat: I research online a lot, but your hands on experience stretches a lot further. You are a humble soul.

We are hanging in quite well . . . Tina's CKD is stable, even better than 4 months ago. I'm taking that as great news;) She loves life and has few complaints (I hope):p Civvies and drooler are good too.

After I posted, I suddenly thought of a couple times insulin did leak out after I injected myself, BUT that was immediate, not 2 hours later like what you experienced. Kisses on sweet tough and one-of-a-kind Moey, "Fur pants". Btw, I started calling Tina "Tina Marie Pussy Pants":D

Last edited: May 23, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.