? Strange Spreadsheet #'s..?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tucker&Me, Jul 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

@Sue and Oliver (GA) Good morning. Tucker is all over the place, past 12 hrs. I realize it is a combination of me trying to get his dose time into a better frame and changing dosage around due to circumstances. Dose time is going to be 10 & 10 "permanently" now, I hope. My work schedule is erractic and I have made adjustments to my very best ability.
    Could you comment on his #'s? And should I stay at 1.25 on insulin, or should I try 1.50? We had a rough ride this past 12 hrs and had to take a break.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

He sure doesn't look like a cat on N. He has longer cycles and surfs along in one range - very nice! With last night's low of 54 (below 50 earns a dose reduction) I think I'd Either stick with 1.25 and monitor carefully or go back to one unit and take a break (it's allowed) and only get a number around +6

He is responding very well. We think any range below 250 is below the renal threshold when the pancreas can heal, so he is generally in pretty decent ranges, for N.

3. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

My golly Sue! That is the total opposite of what I expected you to say!!! I admire your knowledge and depend upon it.
    Thank you I will go w one unit. :)) How long? Til Monday, or wait to see?

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

With N, you want to test pre-shots, and around the nadir. No need to test hourly.
    A curve is testing every 2 hours from pre-shot to pre-shot. Doing one every week or two is good, since things can change.
    Have you this link to the Humulin/Novolin primer? (just in case we missed giving it).

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would reduce the dose to 1/2 or 3/4 unit. When you have a flat or rising curve that typocally indicates too high of a dose. When yo then increase the dose and get very low BG that typically confirms the overdose

6. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

Wow @Larry and Kitties ! The Rx the vet sent me out the door with was 3 units BID. I have NEVER given that! So you are saying HALF the 1.0 I am giving now?? Thank goodness I came here. I assume @Sue and Oliver (GA) agree w this? No offense, I have just been talking w her more.
    Thank you @BJM for giving me a sigh of relief too. It's very encouraging to know I have some sleep to look forward to. I will reread the primer, although I am looking into the compounded PZI. Vet is calling me back about it.
    Thank you everybody!

7. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I like one unit or 1.25 if you can monitor. You have gotten some lovely greens and blues on those doses. I am thinking that you want him to stay in those lower ranges, but to do it safely. On a day or night when you can't plan to catch the low point, I would definitely decrease.

We don't always agree on dose advice. It is part of the forum for things to be peer reviewed. So you filter the advice and then go with your gut. As always, you are holding the syringe and you get to decide.

Not sure we have talked about what to do if you do get a number 50 or below. You feed to bring it back up. So start with his regular food and give him little snacks, checking every 20 minutes or so. You want him to start going up, not down. If you ever get in a situation where he continues to drop, then feed the gravy off some high carb food. (always good to have around, well marked as High Carb) If he is still dropping and ever 40 or below, I would rub some honey on his gums and go to the vet. (with other insulins 40 might not be quite so scary, but with N, I would err on the side of caution) So far his pattern has been to jump back up from a green fairly fast.

8. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

One of the first things I did when I came here was to bookmark the hypo sheet. I don't know where I got the idea the other evening that 67 at +3 was a hypo episode, but I rubbed honey on his gums and fed and watched etc. I was so scared. Now I can smile an ever so tiny smile.
    I like the gut reference. It is my golden rule in Life. Anytime I've ever gone against it, I have been wrong. I will use this newfound precious time to rest up and read up. I didn't hope to dream that he would be doing so well! I am so overjoyed I am walking on air! All the very best to you Sue for a great 4th Holiday. Oh, and if your ears start burning, it isn't the fireworks. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.