Strangely low BG level...what's happened there?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cashewsmomma, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cashewsmomma

cashewsmomma Member

Hi again everyone,

Yesterday, Cashew showed a strangely low number of 5.7mmol/L before his PM shot. I was so stunned, I kept checking my fingers to see if I had poked myself instead and did not give him his PM shot of 3 u. I fed him (a bit more than I usually feed him) and waited an hour and checked again and he was 18.1 and 18.3 another two hours later.

Since his morning shot was 18.4- I am not sure how he could have dropped so quickly. I was freaking out incase I did not feed him as much (it is brutal on weekend mornings sometimes) or perhaps gave him a higher dose? I was alert enough to make my usual notes and his tupper ware was full which means I must have opened a new can so am really confused (and scared that I could have been so careless).

I was scheduled to a blood curve yesterday but had slept in from pure exhaustion... So unfortunately, I had missed his nadir which is between 5-7 hours. I am doing his curve today and he started at 19.4 mmol/L at 0600 and 19.1 mmol/L at 0900 so I guess he is back to normal...

Cashew normally sleeps most of the morning under this bed and comes out late afternoon so the fact that he was missing didn't really worry anyone. When I did see him (later afternoon) he was completely fine, (not confused, glassy eyed or wobbly)...

Can anyone provide me with some insight here? Has this ever happened to you? I know 5.7 is a beautiful number and I could not believe my eyes but now that he is back to 18-19 range- a) is it possible for him to rise so quickly in an hour? and b) do you think he might be inching towards remission in an odd way? I find each time we increase his dose, he is up there for a good 5 days then he settles and we increase again.

Sorry about the long message! I hope it all made sense...please send me your thoughts.

thx

nida

2. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

It's not unusual for insulin needs to change over time. Sounds like you are due for a dose reduction, your curve will give you more information about reducing.

3. cashewsmomma

cashewsmomma Member

Hi again,

Cashew was in the 18 range again since that wierd bg level on Saturday. He was at 17 this morning...I hear back from vet tomorrow but what do you think happened? Is it possible for bg levels to change so drastically?

thanks

4. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Do you have much data from spotchecks or curves?

5. cashewsmomma

cashewsmomma Member

Hi,

Yes I had him tested every three hours yesterday and the lowest he went was 17...I just didn't have the chance to spot check him on Saturday and found him at 5.7 before PM shot... I just think it's wierd and a little unnerving.

6. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Do you know what your numbers are on the american scale? You may get more help if you translate them.

7. cashewsmomma

cashewsmomma Member

hey traci!

So on Saturday, Cashew showed the following:

0600 (pre-insulin) - 324 mg/dl, gave 3 units of Lantus, 1 1/3 can of wet food
    1800 (pre-insulin) - 102.6 mg/dl, skipped insulin shot, fed him more than usual amount of wet food (freaked out cable)
    1900 - 324 mg/dl
    2300 - 324 mg/dl

His blood curve yesterday showed a range of 306mg/dl to 324mg/dl. The lowest he got was 306...the thing is it looks like a flat curve and each time we increase his dose (usually 1 unit/day) his sugar level is above 360 for an average of 5 days.

I speak to his vet tomorrow but am looking for some insight from experienced diabetic parents.... confused_cat

8. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi-

Thanks for the translation. Now I'd cross post on Lantus to get more help/suggestions.

I'm not experienced enough to help you. But the nadir was at the PM, huh? Very interesting. I'm interested to see what the Lantus peeps will say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.