STRESS or RELAPSE? In need of some timely help!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sherri, Dec 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sherri

Sherri Member

My Shamus has been in remission over 2 years now and went into remission rather quickly with a diet change and 9 days of Lantus. I have checked his sugars monthly or if I have thought something may be off. He has been bugging more for food lately but I’ve been testing and didn’t know if that was just him trying to manipulate me and every time I’ve checked his sugars were in the normal range. We have not had anything above normal in years.

This past year and a half has been stressful in my home. It has always just been myself and the two kitties. Very quiet and calm. My brother moved in and his young boys spend time here through the week and overnight every other weekend. Shamus has never liked little people and he hisses at them and has even chased them before. Most of the time they are here, he hides in his basket in a closet. This week we had them for the holiday for more consecutive days than we have had ever and I noticed he hadn’t come out all day. When he did come out he had diarrhea and did so all on the bed. His brother also had a bit of diarrhea in the litter box though. I know Shamus must have had his accident because he felt too stressed to come to the litter box. After the kids left I brought him out and he peed and I offered his middle feeding. He wouldn’t touch it, which is unusual. I opened a new can thinking maybe the first one had upset both of their tummies.

He returned to his hiding spot and I decided to test his sugars. I was hoping the meter was wrong when I tested 14.4, 16.3 and 11.4 all within a mater of minutes. I feel so devastated. On top of this, I am supposed to head south for four months on Monday. I did this last year under the same living arrangements and never had a problem. What I’m wanting to know is, is it possible these are just stress readings and his BG will return to normal and IF stress related could this turn into a full blown relapse if the stress continues? Has anyone else had this? Do I need insulin again? Any compassionate assistance would be greatly appreciated. My heart is breaking for him. We’ve done so well. [​IMG]

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I don't have any experience with a cat going into remission or coming out of it. I do know that stress can elevate BG and what you describe sounds like a very stressful situation for your two kitties. Unfortunately you don't have much time to track BG before you leave on Monday. I suggest you test tonight and tomorrow to see if he settles. Do you have a plan for what to do if he needs insulin again while you're away?

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. I hope that others with more experience of remission come along soon. I suggest you add the blue question mark icon to your thread title so it gets more attention. You'll find it in the little drop down menu at the left end of the thread title bar.

3. Sherri

Sherri Member

Thanks Kris. I can't seem to find the drop down menu. My plan would be not to go. I love him too much to just leave like that. I'd be too worried down there anyway.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

I totally get it - my pets are very high priority to me too. :) He might settle over the next few days. Can you postpone your trip a week or so?

Re the question mark icon. You should be able to find it by putting the cursor over the left end of the bar where you typed your thread title. Oops! You might have to look in the lower right area of that title bar where it says "edit title" or similar first.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Sherri

Sherri Member

I have my flight and a place booked for 4 months. If I cancel I lose the place and a hefty deposit, along with my flight. If I choose to hold onto it to wait and see, I lose my flight and pay a super high fee for the rental for the month should I not use it as well as the deposit should I not decide to stay the entire time. It's a tricky space to be in. Then there's the worry now that I'll have if I gone even if he starts to feel better. :(

6. Kris & Teasel

Oh my - between a rock and a hard place. :confused:

7. Fiona & Ruby

Fiona & Ruby Member

I'm sorry to hear you're in this tight spot trying to make the best move with Shamus' current situation. Slightly left of field but have you ever used Bach Flower Remedies, in this case Rescue Remedy? I'm thinking if you wanted to support him with possible stress relief, giving him some regular doses of this may release the stress more quickly and give you a better idea if it's stress or relapse. Animals respond really well to flower essences...it might help you too to take some, with the tricky decision making. :bighug:

8. Sherri

Sherri Member

Hi Fiona! He had his feeding at 8:30pm and I just tested him (midnight) and his reading was back to normal at 4.0. I also noticed that the meter said the batteries were low and to replace them soon. Could this have accounted for the three high readings that were all different from one another back to back, or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Fiona & Ruby

Fiona & Ruby Member

That's great news. I really couldn't say about the readings and the battery factor. I haven't had my meter long enough to experience the possibility...so many variables in this game who knows! But hopefully his latest reading gives you some much needed reassurance. He clearly likes his quietude...which young boys don't offer much of!! :)

Sherri likes this.
  10. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Try some feliway diffusers for stress relief... I get them on amazon. It could help take the edge off and make him feel safer. Put a litter box wherever he hides when the kids are there. Create a quiet safe zone for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.