Stressed civvie - no urine/bm >36 hrs - /vet update

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by joyce-tuscany(GA), Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joyce-tuscany(GA)

joyce-tuscany(GA) Well-Known Member

We have vet visit for Josie tonight. I think we stressed her out over weekend by taking her sailing with us. (background - our 2 prior cats did sail w us - josie is 4 and has traveled to cottage numerous times and has been fine. We also PTA our sugarcoat Tuscany last Thursday. The 2 were not close and I don't think mourning is part of this)

We took Josie to boat on Wednesday for 2 hrs plus the drive. No problem. We went back to boat on Saturday Josie did have bm Saturday pm and urinated. She did eat some grilled salmon. Sunday we did go sailing. She found some hiding holes - did sleep with us that pm. I don't think she ate or drank much or at all on Sunday. I think there was one urine late Sunday or Monday. Haven't seen anything since, didn't eat much Monday. Came home yesterday and she did eat last pm. She also hid for hours as people were in house working. No lb action today as of 12. She did eat some this am. Is acting normal. Anyone have cats that have done this with stress?

2. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Re: Stressed civvie - no urine/bm >24 hrs

aww sorry to hear about this joyce .. I don't have any experience with this but I hope someone comes along soon for you ...

3. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

(((Joyce))) I hope the vet visit goes well and that nothing serious is going on. It doesn't sound like she is peeing enough, unless she has found a hding corner to do it in. It's encouraging that she has been eating a bit. I will be looking for your update.

4. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

My Krueger suffers from actual paranoia ...

Can you get your cat secluded to a quite room for a few days. Sometimes too much change is just that too much.

Start over almost like she is new ...to a new environment.

5. joyce-tuscany(GA)

When DH got home at 5:30 to take to vet - still no urine or bm. Josie saw the vet, had blood, had fluids, had rectal exam, had anal glands expressed.....
    The vet says that she was mildly dehydrated. Felt that the urine was big but not too big or hard. Didn't feel that she was impacted or obstructed. Josie supposedly had full anal glands (but I hadn't seen any problems from that). She also had some hard dry stool in rectum. No urine was obtained/expressed. ?unable per DH?
    Josie was given an appetite stimulant - transdermal - cyprohepadine - to use. I guess there was an application done at the vet to her ear.

So, since being home. We finally did get a large pee! Happy to see that (one of the other things that I forgot to mention was that after we pts Tuscany last week - we moved a litter box back to laundry room instead of where it had been last 3 months for Tuscany's convenience). No BM yet but Josie did eat very well tonight - so I'll keep fingers crossed for tomorrow. Not sure if I should con't the appetite stimulant for a day or so or see how she is doing.

Nothing like a 300$ vet bill on top of last weeks bill - oh well.

Guess we won't try anymore sailing this season and see how she is next year....

6. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

It's a relief to hear that she urinated and ate. (((Josie))). You could consider giving a bit of Miralax if she is a bit constipated. Maybe add a bit of water to her food for the dehydration? I hope she continues to improve.

7. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

good luck, joyce! you've had more than your share lately.

healing thoughts

celi & binks

8. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I hope you get the LB action you have been waiting for .. Im glad to see she went pee though!

9. joyce-tuscany(GA)

OK, got the LB action tonight. Josie seems to be eating ok tonight and at least gave us deposits in the box - one pee, one bm.
    You know what I realized tonight? It has been so long since I have had just one cat using a litter box - I don't know what is normal! How often should a non diabetic cat pee and poop?? How many times a day?

10. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

My two civies, Tommy and Sophie sue, each pee 2-3 times per day and poop once,
    on average.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.