Stressed out cat and owner!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Periwinkle, Sep 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Periwinkle

Periwinkle Member

First of all, I am really upset that my vet never told me the food I was giving my cat was bad for him. The more research I have been doing, the more evident it becomes. She should have told me to switch foods a LOOOONG time ago and I could have avoided all the stress and medical issues.

I really need some advice on getting my diabetic cat, Percy, to eat a low carb- high protein- grain free wet food diet. He has been eating blue buffalo healthy aging dry food and fancy feat grilled chicken and liver and beef in gravy varieties forever. It is like Crack Cocaine, just like Temptations and he was definitely addicted. Now he can no longer eat dry cat food or the fancy feast in gravy varieties because of the high carbs. I have spent 3 days on the internet researching cat food and I am about to lose my mind. First of all, my cat will not eat any type of pate, and any other flavors but chicken and beef. He must have a consistency of tiny chunks or slices in broth or gravy. The vet gave me a list and none appeal to the cat because they are ALL pates or fish varieties. I am spending a fortune on trial and error food. I have been to pet store 4 times in 2 days. To find carb content is a job in itself. I have no idea why the carbs are not listed on cat food. I have questioned Chewy and the cat food manufacturers on the carb content on about 25 different cans with mixed and suspect results. I now know that Fancy Feast gravies were high in carbs but I wanted to test the expertise at Chewy. Chewy gave me a carb content of 2.8% for Purina Fancy Feast Grilled chicken and liver in gravy, which actually contains around 15% in carbs. WAY TOO HIGH! I don't know who to trust. One site said that Blue Healthy Gourmet chicken was one of the worst canned foods for diabetic cats and another said it was one of the best! Can anyone please help! I have a list of Grain free high protein cat foods in my cart at Amazon and Chewy but am waiting for carb content before buying anything in large quantities. Here is what Percy may go for- Weruva Cats in the Kitchen Chicken FricaZee, Crave Chicken & Beef Recipe Cuts in Gravy Grain-Free Adult Cat Food , Merrick Purrfect Bistro Grain-Free Cowboy Cookout Morsels in Gravy , Rachael Ray Nutrish Paw Lickin' Chicken & Liver Recipe Natural Grain-Free Wet Cat Food, Wild Frontier by Nutro Chicken & Beef Recipe Grain-Free High-Protein Adult Cuts in Gravy Cat Food Trays,Fancy Feast Purely White Meat Chicken & Shredded Beef Wet Cat Food , Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe Flaked Red Meat Feast Adult Grain-Free Canned Cat Food,
    So far I have had mixed results from my cat. He seemed to like the Solid Gold Chunked chicken and liver flavor, recommended by Petsmart, as long as it was topped with Fancy Feast Purely meat and broth which has NO carbs but the second time I fed him, he sniffed it and walked away. He seems to like Crave and Wild Frontier but that would cost me a fortune, since the packs are tiny. I am looking for the 5.5 cans if possible, and at least a 3oz can, and can always use the small cartons of Crave, Wild Frontier to mix with the food.

Also I forgot to add that my cat eats small amount at intervals. He will not eat anymore than about 2 ounces of wet food at a time. There is no way that this would be adequate twice a day. He will starve to death and cry continuously. I read on a veterinary site that it is better for a diabetic cat to eat small quantities multiple times a day, but my vet says twice a day. This is NOT going to work. Below is the site and what it says about feeding a diabetic cat

"Your cat's feeding routine is also important. The average cat prefers to eat about 10-15 times per day, one mouthful at a time. This means that food is left in the bowl at all times for free choice feeding. Fortunately, this is the best way to feed a diabetic cat. However, it is also desirable to monitor how much food is eaten each day. We realize that if you have more than one cat, this may be difficult, but please make an effort, as this is part of the home monitoring that should occur."

https://princessanimalhospital.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Diabetes-and-Pets-1.pdf

One more thing, my cat is extremely stressed over this whole ordeal. Giving him the injection is a major feat. He no longer will eat in his designated spot and will only eat if I am not in the room because he associates the injection with the food. The operant conditioning to elict adversive behavior surely didn't take long. He used to be a social eater and cry for me to be with him when he ate. The injection, itself, is not the problem- it is grabbing his skin to give him the injection- he hisses at me. I forgot to add that he was a feral cat and never bonded like a normal cat does. He only allows me to pet him on the dining room table and when he says so. The table is off bounds now. In addition, taking him to the vet is like a major catastrophe for both the cat and me. When I left him for the day to have his glucose levels checked, the tech said that he was curled up in a ball in the corner of the cage and would not move. He did not use the litter box, and when I picked him up, he peed all over his carrier and had to be washed, stressing him even more. Besides the obvious nightmare and trauma we both are experiencing, my question is how can the vet get accurate glucose levels when the cat is extremely stressed?

I have studied your food chart but none of the foods are listed that appeal to Percy

Please help me and Percy!

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi, I am sorry you are having all this trouble.
    What type and dose of insulin are you giving?
    If you are giving something like vetsulin you need to make sure your cat eats well before the injection. He can also eat during the day as well.
    If you are using a longer acting insulin like Lantus it is ok to only feed a small amount at the time of injection and then feed multiple times during the day as Lantus is a gentler insulin.

Have you thought of offering a raw diet?

Have you thought of home testing the blood sugars? It saves having to take kitty to the vet all the time, avoids the associated stress and saves money. It is not hard to do and won't hurt your kitty.

I would change your subject line to something like " need help with changing over from dry to wet diet."
    Also when you go to the subject line you will see three options at the beginning of the line. Press the ? Mark then write the "need help........ " people will respond to the ? quicker.
    Bron

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It's not on the list yet because it's a new food, but the Tiki Cat After Dark has no fish and is shreds and chunks in a broth. It's all very low carb.

It's OK to let your cat graze on low carb food. I leave food out all the time except for two hours before the preshot test... I'm guessing your kitty would not be so cooperative with having his ears tested.
    Do have honey and keep some of that high carb gravy food in case he ever goes hypoglycemic.

It's so so hard to treat a semi feral. I have got a few like that. Not too long ago I had to give one eye drops a few times a day. It was extremely difficult.

4. Periwinkle

Periwinkle Member

Hi, Bron,
    So sorry about your beautiful girl. It is such a gut wrenching pain and emptiness when you lose a pet. It's like having the Dementors in Harry Potter, such out your soul.

I am still in the first week of this ordeal and have not thought a lot about testing the blood sugar at home. At this stage in the game, I highly doubt it will be possible, since Percy is uncooperative when I give him the injection. He has figured it all out and hides when it is time. Besides, I will not be able to test him at home, until his glucose levels are monitored at the vet and this could take every week for 6 weeks? I have no idea how an accurate glucose test can be taken, since the stress elevates blood sugars?

Percy is only taking 1 unit of Lantus a day, at this time. He will have his blood tested for another ordeal this coming Thursday.

I have tried giving Percy raw food many times but he is not interested. The only thing he will eat is shrimp and crab, both of which are high in cholesterol.

How do I change the subject line?

Thanks so much for your concern
    Pat

Mel & Mo likes this.
  5. Periwinkle

Periwinkle Member

Janet,

Thank you for your assurance about the food. He would starve, if left up to a twice a day feeding. Tiki is one that is on my list but I haven't tried.

He is now peeing right outside his litter box? This has never occurred before. I am guessing he is stressed or angry.

I highly doubt that I would be able to test his blood at home but I will give it a try when the vet allows me to.

My husband is a diabetic and and I have experienced a hypoglycemic seizure with him. I have plenty of honey and high carb gravy cat food. I guess I would know if Percy's blood sugar was too low. Are the symptoms the same in cats as humans?

This experience has me thinking of all the people in the world, who do not have the money to tend to a diabetic cat. The cost in medical treatment is one thing, but the food bill is more than I spend on myself in a week. I guess this is why many cats are put in shelters. Thinking about it makes me sick.

Thanks for your help. I am off to the pet store once again.

Pat

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

Is he showing any back leg weakness?

Try putting a puppy training pad in front of the box.

Yes the symptoms are similar. Here's our info on hypo. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

7. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Hi Pat, welcome!
    Huge saving (and safety for a cat, too) comes from testing at home. esp for one with experience such as your self.
    For one one the BG numbers are more accurate at home than @ the vets office due to lack of stress.
    You won't need to pay for $$ pet strips (like $1 each) - human's are all right, and your hubby might share.
    I never used pet specific meter - and won't have it otherwise!
    Testing at home allows your more accurate dose assessment and does it rather safe way forward v.many vets look at high curves done at the office and then Rx higher insulin doses which = potential Hypo= potentially death or fatally (for your wallet) high $$$ at the ER.

I was thinking and thinking about it but I see no other way to provide good quality nutrition food unless it is done at home.
    High quality commercial can bankrupt nearly anyone nowadays.
    Have you seen Dr. Pierson's blog? Worthwhile reading on the subject, really.
    https://catinfo.org/making-cat-food/#Introduction
    A while ago a member posted here that her monthly cat food bill had gone down significantly after switching to homemade. If you search you'll find that thread on the Health Forum.

I am not really familiar with how a Hypo can go with humans..But a lot of cats are asymptomatic until it's seizures, if untreated then followed by a coma. It is really bad. Very violent in the process.

Here is the Sticky Note that is posted at the top of the Forum, it might be helpful:
    How to treat Hypo

Very best of luck to you!
    @Periwinkle

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

9. Periwinkle

Periwinkle Member

So far Percy is not showing any of the symptoms of hypoglycemia. My biggest concern is finding food that he enjoys. I just got back from the 5th visit to the pet store and purchased $40 worth of different varieties of grain free no and low carb cat food. I put some Tiki shredded chicken in his bowl and he took about 3 bites. He doesn't LOVE it. I will try another later. If he continues peeing outside the box, I will buy training pads. Thanks for the tip

He hasn't shown leg weakness. He still jumps up and down from the table.

Thanks for your advice and support

10. Periwinkle

Periwinkle Member

I have tried raw meats on numerous occasions but Percy doesn't go for it. He has caught many mice in my house but has never even tried to eat one. The only thing raw he will eat is shrimp and crab and both are high in cholesterol. You would think that he would love a fresh caught mouse, since he was feral for 4 months, but has no interest.

Thanks for the infor

11. Periwinkle

Periwinkle Member

12. Periwinkle

Periwinkle Member

I am going to give it a try as soon as the vet gives me the okay. I do not want to stress the cat out anymore than he already is and need to get some food he enjoys before taking the next step. He will not eat raw food- been there, done that.

My husband takes Baslagar. He was switched from Lantus to Baslagar just recently. If the cat can use Baslagar, It will save me 100 dollars each month. The pharmacist told me that there is NO difference in the 2 medications and the veterinary medical literature says that Baslagar has replaced Lantus for many pets but I need the okay from my vet. I called her today and she has NEVER heard of it and says that she will do some research. It is pretty bad when a cat owner has more info than the vet.

13. JanetNJ

For now try mixing his old food with the new food to get him interested. FortiFlora on top can entice them to eat too.

14. Periwinkle

Periwinkle Member

You have ESP. I started doing that today and he is eating but not like he should. Do you need a prescription for FortiFlora and does the cat become addicted to it.

Also do you use the Lantus pen or vial. I don't know what is best. Right now I have pre-measured syringes from the Vet. I watched videos on the process of the pen and they say you have to count to 5 after each injection. I don't know if my cat will stay that long. My husband doesn't follow these instructions. He has never used an alcohol swab. I am checking into buying the Lantus from Marks Marine Pharmacy in Canada. Have you ever purchased Lantus from Canada and if so how long does it take to arrive. There are so many angles and stressors to think about. I have not had a good night sleep in a week and it's starting to take its toll on me. Will my cat ever like me again?

15. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

No, it's available on Amazon and Chewy (and lots of other online places)...as for addiction, not REAL addiction, but you know how these cats can be....once they find something they like, it may be hard to convince them they don't really need it ;)

The pens are the better buy because they don't start to "age" until they're poked....so while you're using 1 pen, the other 4 stay in the fridge and don't expire until the expiration date on the box...usually 2 years or so. Since each pen only holds 300 units, you're also able to use every drop (with the vial, unless your cat is on a high dose, it's going to lose efficacy before you can use it all so you end up throwing a lot away)

We don't use the special pen needles with the pens like humans do. We use regular insulin syringes and pull the insulin out of the pen. The "dial-a-dose" mechanism isn't good for our kitties since it only adjusts in whole unit increments and our kitties need much smaller adjustments in dose....like .25 unit

By using regular insulin syringes, you don't have to hold it in for the 5 seconds like it says on the video you've watched

I'm the person who originally "found" Marks and I can't say enough good things about them. It usually takes about a week from the time you submit your script until the insulin is in your mailbox. I've ordered refills as late as Monday afternoon and gotten it in my Friday mail. They also put a special thing in the package that will show you if it's gotten above 80 degrees and if so, for how long.

16. Periwinkle

Periwinkle Member

You are a lifesaver and a life line! You have been so helpful and I REALLY appreciate it. The education I'm getting is worth a lot. Mark owes you big time, as I do. I will be getting the pens with the syringes. Have you heard of Basaglar. It is supposed to be the same as Lantus but is slower acting and lasts for 24 hours. My husband uses Basaglar. I asked my vet about it and she never heard of it but there is plenty of info on the internet.

https://www.vetrxdirect.com/blog/tag/basaglar-kwikpen/

Its about 40 dollars cheaper

https://rxcanada4less.com/search.php

I watched your video and there is NO WAY that my cat will stay still for that long. He will be hissing me the entire time. I guess I could get my husband to hold him but there is no way that he would stay positioned for that long. We would have to keep him in the bathroom the entire day to do a glucose curve and there would be a continuous meowing. Last night we had to move the furniture and the bed to grab him to give him the injection. I really don't know how we could get an accurate glucose measurement under this kind of hyper stress situation and this is going to be a problem at the vet. When I took him for his glucose curve his levels began at 341 and continued to go higher as the day progressed. This is without any food in his stomach. You would think that without food, they would go down. The same thing occurs when he gets his temperature taken at the vet. Always high. Is there anything that would calm him. I saw these collars on Chewy and wonder if they work.
    https://www.chewy.com/sentry-hc-good-behavior-pheromone-cat/dp/56472

17. Chris & China (GA)

Yes I have. My cat, China was the first one to test Basaglar so the people here would have an idea of how to help others on it.

She was very tightly regulated on Lantus, so I figured she'd be the perfect test subject to see if she reacted any differently on Basaglar than on Lantus.

You can totally go with the cheaper Basaglar, but it still needs to be given every 12 hours.....No insulin lasts for 24 hours in a cat. Their metabolism is too fast. Lantus is also advertised to humans as a "once a day" insulin, but it doesn't last that long in a cat.

When I tested China, she reacted exactly the same as she did on Lantus

18. Chris & China (GA)

They are helpful for some cats, as are things like Rescue Remedy and Feliway

The best thing though is to home test because all tests done at the vets are going to be higher because of the stress of being at the vet.

The key to most cats is conditioning. Find a special treat that they only get when they're tested. Pick one place to do your shots/tests and take the cat there as many times a day as possible and just rub their ears or tent their skin and give a reward. It usually doesn't take long for them to associate the "special place" with the "special treat" and start looking forward to it!

19. Periwinkle

Periwinkle Member

Wow! you are a pioneer. Is there a reason why you no longer use Basaglar?

20. Chris & China (GA)

I got the Basaglar pen from Diabetic Cats In Need just for the purpose of testing....once it was done, I only had an official script for Lantus at Marks, so when I needed more insulin, it was either go back to Lantus or try to get a script for Basaglar from my vet.

Seemed easier to just go with what I had

21. Periwinkle

Periwinkle Member

Do you test your cats blood every day. I have just ordered the Alphatrack glucometer and lancets from Chewy. I am really nervous about this whole ordeal. If I had a normal cat, it would be so much easier but, if a cat could be diagnosed with Schizoid personality disorder and Aspergers, my cat fits the profile.

22. Chris & China (GA)

I test China an average of 6 -8 times a day! You can see how often I test by clicking on "China's SS 2018" in my signature below my comments.

If you can cancel the order for the AlphaTrak, I would. Most of us here use human meters because the strips for the AT are about $1 EACH

Most of us here use the Relion Confirm or Micro from WalMart….takes the tiniest sample size and the strips are affordable ($35.88/100)

You can also get them any time of the day or night.....cats seem to know when it's the least convenient time and that's when they drop too low.....that's no time to be out of test strips and unable to get more for a few days

23. Periwinkle

Periwinkle Member

got it. If my vet okays the Basaglar I can use my husbands pens, which would save me money. Medicare takes care of most of the cost. He only pays $19.00 for 5 pens.

JanetNJ and Chris & China (GA) like this.
  24. Periwinkle

Periwinkle Member

OMG, my vet told me I couldn't use the human meter b/c the numbers don't calibrate the same in a cat. Would I be able to use my husbands meter and strips? They cost next to nothing.

I suppose I will never be able to go on another vacation or anywhere for that matter.

25. Chris & China (GA)

Yes you can....all our protocols here were written with human meters and that's what we're all most used to anyway.

The only thing you might want to consider is getting a separate meter for the cat so that you don't screw up the averages.....don't want your husbands doctor to think his BG is crazy out of control because you've got his numbers and kitties mixed together....LOL

Yes, there's a little difference between the numbers you get on a human versus a pet meter, but the only numbers that really matter are the "time to act" numbers.....On a human meter, it's under 50....On a pet meter, it's under 68

As you can see, they're actually fairly close at the lower numbers (when it's most important for safety)

Too high is too high no matter which meter you use so it doesn't really matter if it's 300 or 400...it's still too high

26. Chris & China (GA)

When I want to go somewhere, I pack China up and take her with me!! I swear her "luggage" ends up taking up a lot more room than mine does!!

She's been to Branson for the Christmas shows for the last 4 Christmas's

27. Periwinkle

Periwinkle Member

Makes Sense. Are 30 gauge lancets okay to use?

My husband keeps a written log of his glucose levels to give the doctor, so it doesn't matter. We are from the old school before computers and texting and when cursive writing was the norm.

28. Chris & China (GA)

Yes, but at first, it might be better to use something slightly larger like 26-28 gauge just until the ears "learn to bleed"....as you poke more and more, new capillaries grow in so it gets easier to get a blood drop later on and then you can usually go to the higher gauge lancets

But the 30's may work fine for you too....Just make sure the ear is warm before you poke. A lot of us have a little sock filled with dry rice that we can microwave and then hold against the ear for a few to help bring the blood to the surface. Another thing you can use is a small pill bottle filled with warm water. Test the temp like you would a baby bottle (on your wrist) to make sure it's not too hot

29. Periwinkle

Periwinkle Member

Percy has never been on a long trip in a car. He wouldn't like it all. Besides, I could never leave him in the hotel alone. He would have a stroke. The doctor's visit is enough to raise his heart rate to unhealthy levels. Also, taking him with me is not an option for an overseas trip, which I had planned in the Spring. There is no way, I could leave him at the vet for a week. How do people who work take their cats blood 6-8 times a day. If they have children, they are lucky to have time to brush their teeth and take a shower.

30. Chris & China (GA)

Here's something I wrote up for others that needed help with testing...maybe it'll help you too!

It can be really helpful to establish a routine with testing. Pick one spot that you want your "testing spot" to be (I like the kitchen counter because it's got good light and it's at a good height....it also already blocked 2 escape routes due to the wall and the backsplash) It can be anywhere though...a rug on the floor, a table, a particular spot on the couch...wherever is good for you. Take him there as many times a day as you can and just give his ears a quick rub and then he gets a yummy (low carb) treat. Most cats aren't objecting so much with the poking..it's the fooling with their ears they don't like, but once they're desensitized to it and learn to associate a certain place with the treats, they usually start to come when they're called! Or even when they hear us opening the test kit!

You also have to remember...you're not poking him to hurt him...you're testing him to keep him safe and understand what's going on inside his body. There's just nothing better than truly understanding what's going on inside your kitty's body and with this disease, the more knowledge you have, the more power you have against it. The edges of the ears have very few pain receptors, so it really doesn't hurt them. Also, if you're nervous and tense, it's going to make your kitty nervous and tense too. As silly as it might seem, try singing! It forces you to use a different part of your brain!

It's also important to make sure his ear is warm. A small sock filled with a little rice and microwaved or a small pill bottle filled with warm water (check temp against your wrist like you would a baby bottle) works well.

When you're first starting, it's also important to use a lower gauge lancet, like 25-28 gauge. Most of the "lancet devices" come with 33 gauge lancets and they are just too tiny to start with. The bigger lancets (that are lower numbers) make a bigger "hole". As you poke more and more, the ears will grow new capillaries and will be easier and easier to get blood from...we call it "learning to bleed"

Finding the right "treat" will be a great help too!
    Freeze dried chicken, bonito flakes, little pieces of baked chicken...whatever low carb treat you can find that he really enjoys will help him to associate the testing with the treat! China's Achilles heel was baked chicken, so I'd bake a piece, chop it into bite sized pieces, put some in the refrigerator and freeze the rest to use as needed. It didn't take long for her to come any time I picked up the meter!

[​IMG]

31. Periwinkle

Periwinkle Member

Okay. There is so much to remember. I hope my brain stays lucid until the cat passes away. If I develop Alzheimers, I am in big trouble

what about these?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dynarex-SensiLance-Safety-Lancets-Press-26-Gauge-100-Pack/109502467

32. Chris & China (GA)

I started by taking China on short rides that always came home (if the only place that evil car ever takes them is that awful vet person, why would they want to go??) I also found she did better on the back seat wearing a harness instead of in a crate. It's a matter of testing and finding what works best for YOUR cat.

Those are fine.....I use These Relion 26 gauge lancets....they're only $1.48

33. Chris & China (GA)

I have to be on the road in 5 hours to go get some tests done at the hospital on me (China's going to....she's got an appointment for bloodwork before I schedule her dental) so I need to get off here.

If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to help you but it'll be sometime later tomorrow before I get back.

Don't worry....You can do this!! Once you get a routine down, it's no more bothersome than brushing your teeth twice a day!.....and you'll have everyone here to help you!!

34. Periwinkle

Periwinkle Member

This is really informative but the time involved is overwhelming and much too compromising for me to have any quality of life. And that goes for the cat too. He is overly stressed by just getting the injection, If I tested him 8 times a day he would be so unhappy and would hide away for most of the day. His life would be much too compromised. I love my cat dearly but testing 6-8 times a day seems a bit much. Is this something the vet recommended? My husband only tests his blood 2 times a day. Why would it be more for a cat? If you test your cat's blood 8 times a day, you can't leave the house for more than 2 hours at a time. This is not viable for me or my husband. My husband and I do a lot of volunteer work and are gone for hours during the day. What happens if you go to a wedding or baby shower or need to have medical tests done for yourself. There are so many times, I must be gone. I also, have a quadriplegic son, who lives alone and needs my services on a daily basis. Do you sleep through the night or do you get up through the night to test? How do other cats survive, when their blood is only tested at the vet every 2-4 months? You must not work or are you able to take the cat with your to work? This whole ordeal has me tired and stressed thinking about it. I need a drink and a valium.

35. JanetNJ

Once you learn how to test it literally takes about 30 seconds to do. Take a test just before each preshot and try to get 1 mid cycle when you can. It takes an extra two min out of my day. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

36. JanetNJ

FortiFlora is just a probiotic, but it has the same flavor enhancers they put on dry food to make it so tasty. I use it to cover up the taste of any medicine in the food. Adwdiabetes.com, chewy, and amazon all sell it.

Pen or vial same thing. The pens are smaller so you'll use them up before they expire. You can use a syringe with them just like a reg vial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.